1. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '04 11:053 edits
    I have noticed that a lot of people are using the vaction flag to try to halt their games. I respect the fact that people go away and can't get online to move and if they are genuinely on vacation I will never consider timing them out.

I am very patient, usually, as soon as the "remind" button appears against any of my games I click it straight away and this is what I have been doing in my games with the user in question.

However, reminding this person seems to make no difference - he is clearly playing other games - and now he has exhausted the timeout on our matches he is trying to use the vacation flag to stop play - this is misuse, he can't be on vacation a couple of days every week?!

The only way I can see to stop this is to make time outs on these people in the hope that they'll learn to use the vacation flag for the purpose it was intended. I know this will be unpopular suggstion, but perhaps the vacation flag should be restricted to being used only 3 times to discourage people from abusing it?
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '04 13:00
    Actually, only being able to turn the vacation flag on once a month would quickly fix this problem, I'm sure.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Apr '04 13:04
    Originally posted by Exy
    I have noticed that a lot of people are using the vaction flag to try to halt their games. I respect the fact that people go away and can't get online to move and if they are genuinely on vacation I will never consider timing them out.

I am very patient, usually, as soon as the "remind" button appears against any of my games I click it straight away and t ...[text shortened]... ation flag should be restricted to being used only 3 times to discourage people from abusing it?
    The only purpose that vacation flags serve anymore (as far as I can see) is to let people know why you may not be moving. With the timebank system, there is NO excuse for timing out on your games. I claim all timeout wins the very instant I am able to do so these days, no warning, no nothing, whether they have a vacation flag up, or not. I have no sympathy for people who cannot move within the agreed upon time limit.
  4. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '04 13:42
    Well, the games I just timed him out on had 7 day time banks!

Worse still I'm playing the same person in two other matches and he has got through his 14 day time bank and i haven't used a single day!

I have a clear conscience in timing him out, I'm just trying to suggests ways of discouraging this abuse of the vacation flag, as usually I would honor it.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Apr '04 14:11
    Originally posted by Exy
    Well, the games I just timed him out on had 7 day time banks!

Worse still I'm playing the same person in two other matches and he has got through his 14 day time bank and i haven't used a single day!

I have a clear conscience in timing him out, I'm just trying to suggests ways of discouraging this abuse of the vacation flag, as usually I would honor it.
    I have a couple people playing through vac-flag... they better keep moving!

P-
  6. Standard memberpurclecow
    MMMMM Penguin Pie
    the great beyond
    Moves
    26 Apr '04 17:44
    Originally posted by Exy
    Actually, only being able to turn the vacation flag on once a month would quickly fix this problem, I'm sure.
    Noooooooo, i am due to leave for 9 months in 14 weeks...no word of a lie...and i would not be please if the flag cannot stay on for that time.
  7. Joined
    08 Mar '03
    Moves
    26 Apr '04 18:24
    I've had a few games in which my opponent has played whilst their vacation flag is set.
    I doesn't bother me. However, I imagine it would probably be easy for the site admins to have the flag automatically unset as soon as a move is made...?
  8. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    27 Apr '04 00:09
    Originally posted by Lazaraus
    I've had a few games in which my opponent has played whilst their vacation flag is set.
    I doesn't bother me. However, I imagine it would probably be easy for the site admins to have the flag automatically unset as soon as a move is made...?
    I've made moves with my vacation flag set - as I recall we had some time to kill in a city in Italy and I noticed an internet cafe and moved in all my games. I didn't come across any more internet cafes during the trip, and sadly when I returned home I found I had been timed out in a game I was winning, despite my flag. Oh well πŸ™‚
  9. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeΒ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    27 Apr '04 00:25
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The only purpose that vacation flags serve anymore (as far as I can see) is to let people know why you may not be moving. With the timebank system, there is NO excuse for timing out on your games. I claim all timeout wins the very instant I am able to do so these days, no warning, no nothing, whether they have a vacation flag up, or not. I have no sympathy for people who cannot move within the agreed upon time limit.
    I guess it's the first time I agree with you.....................πŸ˜‰
  10. Virginia
    Moves
    27 Apr '04 03:301 edit
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    I've made moves with my vacation flag set - as I recall we had some time to kill in a city in Italy and I noticed an internet cafe and moved in all my games. I didn't come across any more internet cafes during the trip, and sadly when I ...[text shortened]... een timed out in a game I was winning, despite my flag. Oh well πŸ™‚
    I would edit your vacation message to mention the possibility of internet cafes in the future. I know I will. However, I also suggest putting a date of return. If someone is abusing it, we will see the date change.

Oh, if you are gone for 9 months, I wouldn't start too many games that won't be over before you leave.

edit for cluelessness
  11. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '04 09:17
    This particular user put his vacation flag up whenever he stopped making moves. In one game he managed to put it on over three times with in the space of three weeks. He had exhausted his timebank through lack of play and was using the vacation flag to try and stop me claiming the win against him. I used to remind him to move constantly as I am playing 4 clan games agaisnt him. In the end I just got fed up with it.
  12. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Apr '04 19:582 edits
    Originally posted by purclecow
    Noooooooo, i am due to leave for 9 months in 14 weeks...no word of a lie...and i would not be please if the flag cannot stay on for that time.
    What I was suggesting is that you can only turn your vacation flag on and off once a month to stop people abusing it. Those that make a few moves in a day and then put their vacation flag on to suggest that they are away due to the fact they have exhausted their time bank are abusing this as they know that a lot of people will not timeout people on vacation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree