1. Joined
    08 Apr '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 04:48
    I work in a group-home for young people. There are a number of us on staff, and young people, who would like to use this site.

We ran into trouble using another different free chess site -- i forgot which one it was -- and we all got banned, because the site thought we were trying to cheat with multiple accounts. Presumably it was detecting that our different accounts all originated from the same modem; the same IP address or something.

Is this a problem with the red-hot-pawn site? Will it ban us for having different accounts orginating from the same location?
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 05:23
    Originally posted by judoman09
    I work in a group-home for young people. There are a number of us on staff, and young people, who would like to use this site.

We ran into trouble using another different free chess site -- i forgot which one it was -- and we all got banned, because the site thought we were trying to cheat with multiple accounts. Presumably it was detecting that our ...[text shortened]... -hot-pawn site? Will it ban us for having different accounts orginating from the same location?
    No, you'll be fine, so long as you really are different users.

Think about how cheaters get caught:

1. They favorably "play others and each other" in ways that raise the ratings of a player, or win tournaments, etc
    2. Their moves are identical in strength and style, etc
    3. They act out differant "personalities" so that they can be abusive in a forum and "pile on" some member (harrassment)

Honorable play will not be a problem, as I understand it (totally unofficial answer)

The point is, why on earth would anybody bother to make multiple accounts? Of course, the answer is pretty simple: they are expanding the six-game maximum, otherwise, they have unlimited games, as a member.

A Mod or Admin will give you the official answer if you ask directly in the send feedback button below.
  3. Joined
    08 Apr '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '09 11:10
    Thanks for your advice, you make good sense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree