1. Joined
    18 Mar '10
    Moves
    18 May '13 06:26
    Has the system changed ? I just played a pawn to the 8th rank and hit the submit button. I was expecting the normal options to appear but instead the move was made and I was given a Queen without any choice !
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 May '13 07:08
    The promotion selection is now done before you hit the submit button. When you put a pawn on the 8th rank the selection box appears. Makes more sense, but if you're not aware of it you don't see it and you get the default queen.
  3. Joined
    18 Mar '10
    Moves
    18 May '13 07:53
    Thanks, I will look out for that next time
  4. Joined
    28 Apr '08
    Moves
    26 May '13 16:01
    The current sequence in pawn promotion is backwards. It does not make sense to choose the piece and then move the pawn. Even knowing this is the new procedure I find myself still moving the pawn and then looking to choose the desired piece. In regular over the table play this is how it's done. You move the pawn to the last rank and then you exchange it for a piece.

Does anyone else agree with me that this needs to be corrected?
    Or am I the exception?
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    26 May '13 17:561 edit
    I actually prefer the new to the old in this case. Before, I had to send away my pawn in order to get a "what piece?" question. Now, I move my pawn to row 8, then choose a piece, then send the move and the choice together in one step. Seems more logical to me. There was also a problem in the other format, if the second step wasn't completed for some reason the game got scrambled and couldn't be played out.
  6. Guanajuato, Mexico
    Moves
    06 Jun '13 17:01
    I never even noticed the new promotion process. I couldn't imagine why I no longer had the choice as to what piece to promote to. Glad I found this discussion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree