1. Joined
    15 Aug '03
    Moves
    17 Aug '03 10:20
    The only site which accomodates PDAs in a universal way is LUDI on Avantgo. At the moment, Ludi is pretty hosed--it looks like they were hacked and it appears, sadly, that their SQL database was damaged . . . which brings me to the reason for this post. From the Ludi statistics, there are thousands of persons playing chess on PDAs using Ludi via Avantgo. From reviewing earlier posts on this subject, the question was raised concerning the demand for an Avantgo interface for RHP. Frankly, I believe that the time is right. Perhaps an Email survey of RHP users is in order to see how many would use an Avantgo interface. Keep in mind that the word would spread pretty fast concerning an additional site for PDA players and it would attract players who are not now using RHP!

M Hyman

2. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    18 Aug '03 15:51
    A PDA version would certainly be a plus for those that have them.

Or a WAP version or whatever.

I imagine since there aren't any such versions available presently, the odds of a large PDA contigent replying to this thread must be low: but that doesn't make it a bad idea!

Keep on plugging away and who knows, maybe it will appear one day!
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Aug '03 18:04
    Originally posted by Toe
    A PDA version would certainly be a plus for those that have them.

Or a WAP version or whatever.

I imagine since there aren't any such versions available presently, the odds of a large PDA contigent replying to this thread must be low: but that doesn't make it a bad idea!

Keep on plugging away and who knows, maybe it will appear one day!
    This is something I have wanted to do for sometime, but I really didn't believe the demand was there.

I will take a look about the web and try to gauge how much interest there really is.

-Russ
  4. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    18 Aug '03 20:14
    what is PDA?
    🙄 th
  5. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    24 Aug '03 17:10
    no one here to answer?
    th :'(
  6. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    24 Aug '03 18:29
    Personal Digital Assistant.
    Or a "handheld electronic PC thing" to most of us.
    things like PALM digital orginisers.
  7. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    25 Aug '03 08:43
    Originally posted by Toe
    Personal Digital Assistant.
    Or a "handheld electronic PC thing" to most of us.
    things like PALM digital orginisers.
    thanks!
    an idea like this would be a wap interface for RHP. (but I think I would not use it, but it could be funny 😉 playing chess with you mobile...)
    th
  8. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    09 Oct '03 00:12
    does anyone know a free downlodable chess game for mobile phones? thanks,
    th
  9. Kenilworth
    Moves
    13 May '04 12:23
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but I tried using RHP on my pocket pc for the first time yesterday. There were two problems with it. First the board was just slightly too small to fit within the screen (I think I got 7 rows by 8 columns). But then I couldn't highlight the squares to move pieces with my stylus so I couldn't move the anyhow.

Would it not be possible to have an option in the settings page to allow a slightly smaller board and typed in moves? This would solve my problem at least. I keep hearing how PDAs are supposed to be really about to take off for chess players. it would be a shame if RHP couldn't capitalise on it. I already have a couple of pocket chess games and they're pretty user friendly. I'm thinking about getting pocket fritz which apparently allows online access to databases etc.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 May '04 14:421 edit
    At the moment my RHP work consists of trying to clear down outstanding tasks (including promised new features), and this might take a few months at least, but once done, I will probably take a break, and look to the future.

And one thing that RHP will have for certain is better interface abstraction - allowing PDA, mobile, or ANY device (fridge?) to interact with it. This work will be a very large iteration of the RHP code, and therefore a big project, but I may release parts incrementally. (Obviously, the ‘my games’ and board view being the most important!)

-Russ
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    13 May '04 22:09
    I don't own a pda but i have considered buying one recently. I decided not to cos i couldn't play my rhp games on it. If you did add this functionality to the site i would probably use it 😉
  12. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    13 May '04 22:17
    PDA... hmmm... i'd suggest a sharp zaurus ...

opera 6 built in - zoom to 50% and you can play your games :-)

Pineapple42.

ps. i was most impressed :-)

pps. by both the toy, and this superb site!
  13. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    13 May '04 22:49
    Originally posted by Russ
    This is something I have wanted to do for sometime, but I really didn't believe the demand was there.

I will take a look about the web and try to gauge how much interest there really is.

-Russ
    PDA capability would be great! I've tried LUDI and couldn't stand it. But if I could sync my Pocket PC, then move in all my games, and have the moves upload on the next sync! 😀😲😀😵

But if only a PDA interface would be great. I'd go get a wireless PDA to take advantage of it or connect to the net when in the sync cradle.
  14. Kenilworth
    Moves
    14 May '04 09:14
    Originally posted by pineapple42
    PDA... hmmm... i'd suggest a sharp zaurus ...

opera 6 built in - zoom to 50% and you can play your games :-)

Pineapple42.

ps. i was most impressed :-)

pps. by both the toy, and this superb site!
    Are you saying that if I download opera onto my pocket pc I can view the RHP board no problem? That would be great.
  15. Joined
    21 Aug '03
    Moves
    14 May '04 11:21
    Originally posted by mishima
    Are you saying that if I download opera onto my pocket pc I can view the RHP board no problem? That would be great.
    i don't know - i've not got a windows ce/pocket pc 2003 thing to try it on.

the zaurus is runs a varient of linux, with opera as the browser if you were not aware. (there are some problems with it on this site, but it will allow playing of games ok)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree