1. Joined
    04 Jun '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 14:10
    when i play people they always take absolutely ages to make their move ........ even at the start of the game
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 14:132 edits
    Only accept games with short time out periods - you can set a limit in the 'My Settings' area.

Also, you could go to the Player Tables and check out the most Recent Movers and offer challenges to someone you can see who makes a lot of moves a month, who is currently playing (green dot next to the name).

🙂
  3. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 15:23
    ... or check in the Players Table for the Most Active Players of the month and challenge one of them.
  4. Joined
    15 Apr '04
    Moves
    04 Jun '04 15:34
    If you subscribe, you can have lots more games going at the same time. Then if a couple of your opponents are moving really slowly you still have other games to keep you busy 😀
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jun '04 13:32
    I reckon RHP should add a drop down list where you can indicate how frequently you're prepapred to move on a specific game that you're inviting/accepting. Starting a whole lot of games at the same time is a scary way to go - what if you can't get back to your computer for some reason and they all time out !!!
  6. e2
    Moves
    05 Jun '04 15:39
    Why would you ever consider joining a correspondence chess site if you're not prepared to wait on slow movers? 😕
    Go play real-time chess at any of the dozens of places on the Internet which are dedicated to that format.
  7. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    05 Jun '04 18:54
    Originally posted by huntingbear
    Why would you ever consider joining a correspondence chess site if you're not prepared to wait on slow movers? 😕
    By that same token, huntingbear, why bother playing chess at all if you only want to make a move once a month?

I'm in a match against one player that's been going on since mid-February. He (or she) moves about once a week or so... but has a move frequency of "multiple a day" posted.

I've played correspondence chess over snail mail and even those people are interested enough in the game that they move pretty regularly. There are people on this site who would make correspondence chess look like a timed game.

I really don't get it...
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '04
    Moves
    05 Jun '04 21:37
    If you set up a game with a timeout period of say 21 days, then you nee only move once every 3 weeks. Nothing wrong with that!
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    06 Jun '04 00:01
    All games, except tournament games, can be deleted before moving or even after a couple of moves! Note the timeout period, if it doesn't match up with the play you like, then delete it. People here may not WANT to move more often than once a week. Maybe they are busy, maybe they have occasional internet access, either way, if you accept a game with a long timeout period, then remember that YOU agreed to it. Tournament timeout/timebank periods are posted on the tournament joining page; if you don't like it, don't join a tournament.

By the same token, if people don't move within the allotted timeout and timebank period, then they have NO BUSINESS complaining. None. Is it nice? Maybe not. Is it fair. Absolutely.

Think of timeout and timebank periods like a contract with a bank. There is no leeway with it. If you don't like it, then go to another bank. If you are late with a payment, there is a penalty. You can complain, but you either pay the penalty or default on the contract (or forclose).

In regards to posted move frequency: that is NOT a contract. Maybe it was posted in error, or maybe it pertained to a time when that person did make moves more frequently. Sometimes I make several, even a dozen moves against a player in a day. Sometimes I wait three or four days, even eating into my timebank in an effort to look at the board and see the best move.

Remember, playing on this site is VOLUNTARY. You agreed to its terms, if you don't like the terms of a particular game, delete it, change your settings, whatever. If you find that this site doesn't have enough of the type of games you like, play another site or invest in/make your own.

Nemesio
  10. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Jun '04 00:08
    Originally posted by nemesio
    All games, except tournament games, can be deleted before moving or even after a couple of moves! Note the timeout period, if it doesn't match up with the play you like, then delete it. People here may not WANT to move more often than once a week. Maybe they are busy, maybe they have occasional internet access, either way, if you accept a game with a lon ...[text shortened]... enough of the type of games you like, play another site or invest in/make your own.

Nemesio
    Gets my rec

skeeter
  11. e2
    Moves
    06 Jun '04 01:18
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Gets my rec
    Mine too.

Thanks, Nemesio!
  12. e2
    Moves
    06 Jun '04 01:27
    Originally posted by Decanter
    By that same token, huntingbear, why bother playing chess at all if you only want to make a move once a month?

I'm in a match against one player that's been going on since mid-February. He (or she) moves about once a week or so... but has a move frequency of "multiple a day" posted.

I've played correspondence chess over snail mail and even tho ...[text shortened]... is site who would make correspondence chess look like a timed game.

I really don't get it...
    The original poster has been at RHP less than a week. Obviously he has not yet been waiting long for moves. I see little similarity between his case and yours.
    That's especially true since your issue seems to be with your opponent's misleading move-frequency indicator, and not with his move frequency itself.
    Further, whether people here are slow or not, just claim wins when they go over timeout. There's no sense in agreeing to a certain timeout period and then complaining that your opponent isn't going faster than the agreed limit.
  13. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    06 Jun '04 01:37
    I find it a bit entertaining to see both sides of this argument. I'm obviously a fast player (I'm even in the clan) and I've encountered many players who get annoyed by slow play.

By the same token, I've seen several conversation threads dedicated to slow players who are outraged at having been timed out for their pace. Ultimately, it's an unresolvable debate. People simply have different perspectives on the game... which is why, I suppose, it's such a popular game. It appeals to so many different types of people.
  14. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    11 Jun '04 11:26
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Gets my rec

skeeter
    Me too

I'm also all for tourneys going to "immediate auto timeout": the extra two days were put there before the timebank exisited. With the advent of timebanks, it no longer serves a purpose.

In fact it can be argued that when you allow an opponent an extra two days in a tourney, you are taking an authority you do not have: the time 'contract' per game is agreed by all those in the tourney, not just between you and your opponent. When you do not enforce that contract, you are making that choice for all those in the tourney without consulting them and are likely to cause a hold-up in the move to the next round for a lot of people.
  15. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    11 Jun '04 23:51
    Originally posted by zackster009
    when i play people they always take absolutely ages to make their move ........ even at the start of the game
    1) get a star
    2) sign up for 50 or more games

or goto uchess.com and play live games

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree