1. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 20:36
    Has anyone noticed the performance of this site has dropped tremendously? I mostly observe it when in a game, and using the analyze board feature. Seems to take forever to paint the pieces on the board in between moves and during the initial load.

I've noticed this on my laptop, and on my home computer. I notice this on my work network and home connection. Nothing really has changed from my end. Wondering if anyone else has seen this. It used to be nearly instant, now it's nearly unusable.

Thanks in advance.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 20:39
    When did you notice this degradation? (today, last week, last month?)

-Russ
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 22:41
    It's probably been at least a week. Perhaps two...
  4. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 19:30
    No idea, eh? Perhaps it was based around the changes that have been made to the site? Has anyone else noticed this?
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    17 Nov '05 19:32
    Originally posted by puma122
    No idea, eh? Perhaps it was based around the changes that have been made to the site? Has anyone else noticed this?
    The changes all happened in the last two or three days not the week you are talking about. I haven't noticed any change in the site's performance recently (there are always a small number of timeout errors but the amount of them hasn't increased that I can tell).
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 12:58
    Optimisations are always made to the site to make it go as fast as possible on the available hardware.

Load does go up though (as users join), and we have recently upgraded hardware, so any sudden degradation would be a concern. Unfortunately, I am not seeing experiencing it myself.

-Russ
  7. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    18 Nov '05 13:43
    I have noticed some hit and misses for performance.. but.. everywhere, not just in the games like last time.. even the forums I click a thread and wait up to 10 seconds for it to open.. (at times.. not all the time)
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '05 01:25
    Yeah, my main hit has been in the Analyze board function. It's essentially unusable now. It used to be very quick...Oh well. Thanks for the replies.
  9. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    19 Nov '05 08:15
    Has anyone noticed the performance of this site has dropped tremendously? I mostly observe it when in a game, and using the analyze board feature. Seems to take forever to paint the pieces on the board in between moves and during the initial load.

I've noticed this on my laptop, and on my home computer. I notice this on my work network and home conn ...[text shortened]... e has seen this. It used to be nearly instant, now it's nearly unusable.

Thanks in advance.
    If you're using Internet Explorer, go and empty your cache (Tool - Internet Options - delete Temporary Internet Files). You may well be amazed at the improvement!
  10. Standard memberBowmann
    Non-Subscriber
    RHP IQ
    Moves
    19 Nov '05 18:30
    Originally posted by orfeo
    If you're using Internet Explorer, go and empty your cache (Tool - Internet Options - delete Temporary Internet Files). You may well be amazed at the improvement!
    I'll just add:

If you're using Internet Explorer, STOP! Get another browser.
  11. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '05 18:58
    Originally posted by Bowmann
    I'll just add:

If you're using Internet Explorer, STOP! Get another browser.
    Jesus wept. Will you please throw that old record away. Th ere are inherent advantages in having your browser bundled with your OS, and MS do that best. It only requires some good housekeeping and security measures.

So stop bleating about your crappy Linux OS. Everyone is sick of hearing it, including me and if people want to change their OS then they will but you should be the last person on this planet that they should consult.

skeeter
  12. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '05 19:18
    I doubt its the browser cache, as the problem is on multiple machines. I'll give it a shot regardless! Thanks for the idea.
  13. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '05 00:23
    I doubt its the browser cache, as the problem is on multiple machines. I'll give it a shot regardless! Thanks for the idea.
    I was wrong! Cache clared on both machines, performance back to normal. Strange coincidence that both needed clearing...

Anyway, thanks all!!
  14. Standard memberMIODude
    me, not you
    CaNaDa
    Moves
    20 Nov '05 01:17
    I was wrong! Cache clared on both machines, performance back to normal. Strange coincidence that both needed clearing...

Anyway, thanks all!!
    Puma, I didn't clear my cache, and the site has been very good today.. so.. could be coincidence. I find I usually can tell when its cache, or site performance. For me, it wasn't cache those days I was having performance issues.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree