1. Joined
    27 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 05:45
    Checking my opponents' Nationality Flags, I see: Britain; United Kingdom; Ireland. Why no Scotland, Wales, &tc.? (Maybe those latter two are there and I just do not recall having seen them.) And just what is meant by United Kingdom?

How are these distinctions determined/derived?

NOT my intent to start any kind of political rants/diatribes, but there must be some considerable thought given to such fine distinctions, which is unclear to me.
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 05:57
    Originally posted by snowblind2
    Checking my opponents' Nationality Flags, I see: Britain; United Kingdom; Ireland. Why no Scotland, Wales, &tc.? (Maybe those latter two are there and I just do not recall having seen them.) And just what is meant by United Kingdom?

How are these distinctions determined/derived?

NOT my intent to start any kind of political rants/diatribes, but ...[text shortened]... here must be some considerable thought given to such fine distinctions, which is unclear to me.
    top of the page click on help > FAQ > flag index and there you will see all the flags including Scotland and Wales.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 07:051 edit
    I think Great Britain is England + Scotland + Wales.
    United Kingdom is England + Scotland + Wales + Northern Ireland (also known as Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

Ireland is a separate republic, it's that part of the island not called Northern Ireland.

People can show whatever flag they want, and many do. We have lots of Antarcticans here at RHP. 😛
  4. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 08:21
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I think Great Britain is England + Scotland + Wales.
    United Kingdom is England + Scotland + Wales + Northern Ireland (also known as Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

Ireland is a separate republic, it's that part of the island not called Northern Ireland.

People can show whatever flag they want, and many do. We have lots of Antarcticans here at RHP. 😛
    Yes, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and N Ireland...curiously, the northern most part of Ireland is actually in Southern Ireland ( Eire ). It's a 'bit Irish that one,' similar to the U.S and their love of Polak jokes I guess, the same way the British are inclined to 'follow' Irish affairs.
    Just to clarify, the U.K is not a republic, so it can't be a seperate one from Ireland...
    As regards the flags, there aren't many of us that don't fly one...no reason, nothing whatsoever...I think most are just not inclined to do so.
  5. Joined
    27 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 14:23
    thx for the replies - kind of gets at the gist of what's got me confused, which is:

what's the difference between:

Britain, Great Britain, United Kingdom & Crown Colony (is the latter term even used any more or is it not PC to do so?)

Figured the Ireland/Northern Ireland thing would still be quite sensitive.

I'd like to see an Official Antarctic Banner, or at least a Cthulhu Coat of Arms.
  6. Joined
    18 Mar '10
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 16:03
    The Crown Colonies were parts of the British Empire ruled by a Govener appointed by the British King. The majority have since become independent like the Colony of Virginia which was the first Crown Colony. Today all that remains is a handful of small islands and territories around the world like the Falkland Islands and Gibraltar. They are now called British Overseas Territories and are largly self governing but rely on the UK mainly for Defence and Foriegn Affairs.
  7. Joined
    12 Nov '10
    Moves
    11 Jan '11 19:16
    Originally posted by snowblind2
    thx for the replies - kind of gets at the gist of what's got me confused, which is:

what's the difference between:

Britain, Great Britain, United Kingdom & Crown Colony (is the latter term even used any more or is it not PC to do so?)

Figured the Ireland/Northern Ireland thing would still be quite sensitive.

I'd like to see an Official Antarctic Banner, or at least a Cthulhu Coat of Arms.
    The British Isles = the two islands.

One island comprises England, Scotland and Wales and that is Great Britain (short for Greater Britain, greater because it is the larger of the two islands).

The other island is Ireland, comprising Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

The United Kingdom comprises Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or as it says on our passports, 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.
  8. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 09:081 edit
    Originally posted by despondman
    The British Isles = the two islands.
    Plus the Isle of Wight, the Isle of Man, the Orkneys, the Shetlands, about 500 in the Hebrides and many others I'm sure.
  9. Joined
    18 Mar '10
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 17:36
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    Plus the Isle of Wight, the Isle of Man, the Orkneys, the Shetlands, about 500 in the Hebrides and many others I'm sure.
    You forgot to mention Lundy, one of the best.

Lundybishop
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 20:11
    Originally posted by lundybishop
    You forgot to mention Lundy, one of the best.
    I agree - wonderful place.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree