1. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 08:182 edits
    Hi,

Someone invited me for a game and then resigned himself without even moving once. Will this increase my rating or decrease. Both of our ratings is 1200. I know rating does not increase or decrease until 5 rated games, but does winning a game by resignation give me some points. That too, without even making a move.

Also, is the manner in which we win/draw/lose counted in the point system. Say I am rated 1200 and I play agaisnt a 1500 player. I defeat him convincingly, destroying all his rooks, bishops, knights and queen and pawns. Say only the king is left and I checkmate him. I have 1 of all remaining, 1 rook, 1 bishop, 1 knight, 1 queen and 1 pawn remaining. On the other hand, I win with only a king, queen and a rook left and he has 1 rook, 1 bishop, 1 knight, 1 queen and 1 pawn remaining.
    Will I gain same no. of points in both the games or will I gain more in the first than the second?
  2. Standard memberSaint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    San Diego, CA
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 09:28
    Originally posted by yashsr
    Hi,

Someone invited me for a game and then resigned himself without even moving once. Will this increase my rating or decrease. Both of our ratings is 1200. I know rating does not increase or decrease until 5 rated games, but does winning a game by resignation give me some points. That too, without even making a move.

Also, is the manner in which we win ...[text shortened]... ll I gain same no. of points in both the games or will I gain more in the first than the second?
    A game has to have two moves made by each player before it is actually 'rated'. If either player resigns or is timed out before then, no point are awarded.

When awarding points, a win is a win, a loss is a loss, etc. The manner in which the result came about or number of moves is irrelevent.
    You would get the exact same amount of points if you checkmated him in 6 moves, he resigned, you timed him out, etc. (provided at least 2 moves were made by each player).
  3. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    15 Oct '05 13:40
    Thanks a lot 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree