1. NewtonFalls, Ohio
    Moves
    15 Jun '04 19:25
    I am a new member and the reason I went ahead and joined was because though I really like the sight and the game I also wanted to get rid of those annoying pop up ads. Before I came on this sight I rarely received pop ups. once I started visiting the sight the pop ups started and steadily increased. Now that I have joined I am still getting the pop up ads. I ran an Ad-aware program and got rid of 264 cookies imbedded in my registry. The following day I ran it and got rid of 49 more. I dumped my cookies in Windows explorer and emptied my Temperary file. I am still getting all kinds of pop ups. What do I do. Is there something I need to do yet on this web sight? Help!

Phil Beer NewtonFalls OH.
  2. UK
    Moves
    15 Jun '04 19:34
    I don't think there are any pop-ups on here.

You could get the google tool bar, that stops them.

3. Muncie, IN
    Moves
    15 Jun '04 19:46
    This site does not do pop-up ads. I can't say where yours are coming from, but it is someplace else and is likely a coincidence that they started when they did.

If the ads are browser ads, then switching to Netscape or Opera will allow you to disable them (even selectively if you prefer). I think I have heard that either the most recent or the immediately upcoming version of Internet Exploder will also allow you to block unwanted pop-ups, but I am not sure about that.

If the ads are not appearing in browser windows, but in their own windows, then it is probably "windows messenger" ads. This is another type of obnoxious ad that someone figured out how to do a couple of years ago. It exploits a "feature" of (I think) Win2K and XP that was intended for communications from a network administrator to the users. If this is what you are getting (or even if it isn't), click to Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | Services and see if the status of "Messenger" is "Started". If so, then right click on it, stop it, then right click again and in the "Properties" dialog, set its "startup type" to either "manual" or "disabled". See if that gets rid of the obnoxiously annoying pop-up ads. It that's the answer, then someone on your network is sending them (possibly as a result of a worm or virus).

Best of Luck,
    Paul
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    15 Jun '04 20:55
    Originally posted by phillip beer
    I am a new member and the reason I went ahead and joined was because though I really like the sight and the game I also wanted to get rid of those annoying pop up ads. Before I came on this sight I rarely received pop ups. once I started visiting the sight the pop ups started and steadily increased. Now that I have joined I am still getting the pop up ...[text shortened]... web sight? Help!

If you use Windows XP you might want to go to microsoft and check for Security Updates.

I updated my machine just the other night cuz I was getting lame pop-ups... I think it worked, but I didn't really stay online long.

Good luck!

P-
  5. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    16 Jun '04 17:06
    I am a new member and the reason I went ahead and joined was because though I really like the sight and the game I also wanted to get rid of those annoying pop up ads. Before I came on this sight I rarely received pop ups. once I started visiting the sight the pop ups started and steadily increased. Now that I have joined I am still getting the pop up ...[text shortened]... web sight? Help!

Hi Phil,

Looks like your browser has been hijacked. That it happened around the time you joined RHP is certainly a coinsidence.

Something like that happened to me about a year ago (which happily had the effect of giving me the necessary nudge to switch to Mozilla 🙂). I ran all sorts of spyware detection programs, but they didn't help at all - I eventually found the root of the problem, and got rid of it; you might want to check your HOSTS file. Just do a search for a file named "HOSTS" on your computer, and open it in notepad. Unless you've customized this file yourself, and you're computer is standalone, the file should contain only one line:

127.0.0.1 localhost

If there's anything else there, then that's extra, and quite probably the cause of your problems - delete it, and save the file. (If you want to be careful and aren't sure that what you're deleting isn't something important, then save the file under another name first, then delete the extra bit, and save the file with the original name "HOSTS" - that way if things go wrong, you can always restore the file to it's original condition.)

If that doesn't work, then go through the steps described at http://www.beginnerspc.com/articles.cfm?articleid=1579&page=2

-Jarno
  6. NewtonFalls, Ohio
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 01:15
    Jarno,
    Thankyou for your help. I went into the file "HOSTS" and saved it as GHOSTS then deleted the extra lines. Hopefully it will help solve the problem.
    Phil
  7. NewtonFalls, Ohio
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 01:19
    mrmist Moo,
    The google tool bar has helped considerably with my problem.

Thankyou for your help.
    Phil
  8. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 01:22
    I can recommend the Avant Browser if you are running Microsoft IE. I've been using it for more than a year. It's gives you a tabbed interface, better navigation, and a pop-up blocker.

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

9. NewtonFalls, Ohio
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 01:40
    Originally posted by prn
    This site does not do pop-up ads. I can't say where yours are coming from, but it is someplace else and is likely a coincidence that they started when they did.

If the ads are browser ads, then switching to Netscape or Opera will allow you to disable them (even selectively if you prefer). I think I have heard that either the most recent or the immediately u ...[text shortened]... our network is sending them (possibly as a result of a worm or virus).

Best of Luck,
    Paul
    It exploits a "feature" of (I think) Win2K and XP that was intended for communications from a network administrator to the users. If this is what you are getting (or even if it isn't), click to Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | Services and see if the status of "Messenger" is "Started". If so, then right click on it, stop it, then right click again and in the "Properties" dialog, set its "startup type" to either "manual" or "disabled".

Paul,
    The farthest I can get is start/programs but then I can find no administative tools. Perhaps it is because I am running Windows 98 SE. I would like to thank all of you for helping me. I have manage to clear up the problem considerably.
    Phil Beer
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 02:13

Do you have any applications in your system tray that might be online like ICQ or yahoo messenger? If you do, try clossing them.
  11. Muncie, IN
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 19:14
    Paul,
    The farthest I can get is start/programs but then I can find no administative tools. Perhaps it is because I am running Windows 98 SE.

Yes, 98 does not have the same "services" but that wasn't your problem anyway 🙂

Best of Luck,
    Paul
  12. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    17 Jun '04 20:27
    My computer was hijacked some time ago. It didn't mater what URL I wanted my PC was sent somewhere else. Even when I wasn't online, browser windows were popping up. Annoying does not describe it!

Adaware is very good but it couldn't solve the problem. Eventually I chanced upon CWShredder which worked like a charm. Here is a link to a download site that hosts it:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html

After this I became paranoid about what was running in the backgorund, so I became extrememly aware and knowledgable about the processess that should or should not be running on my PC. In this regard I found the following site invaluable:

http://answersthatwork.com/

Just click on the 'Task List" and work your way through. You'll be amazed at what utter crap your PC is running without your knowledge. I run XP pro and I've gone from around 50 active processes down to about 25, and the performance of my PC has improved immeasurably. Try it.
  13. Standard membernevruss
    NiftyRulZ
    Urangan QLD
    Moves
    19 Jun '04 08:26
    Hi Phillip,

I am paranoid about my PC, so I run ADDware 6.0, SpyBlaster, and also use a firewall called zonelabs ZoneAlarm Pro,, Running all these programs and also updating my virus definition files every time I go online, also I run Spybot - S & D (be careful with this one) as if you don't know what you are doing you could screw up ypur PC

regards Nifty
  14. Standard membertlai1992
    Retired knight
    Chess Castle
    Moves
    22 Jun '04 21:15
    the google, yahoo, 2020, and mywebsearch toolbar
  15. Standard membertlai1992
    Retired knight
    Chess Castle
    Moves
    24 Jun '04 16:51
    Originally posted by Pyrrho
    Hi Phil,

Looks like your browser has been hijacked. That it happened around the time you joined RHP is certainly a coinsidence.

Something like that happened to me about a year ago (which happily had the effect of giving me the necessary nudge to switch to Mozilla 🙂). I ran all sorts of spyware detection programs, but they didn't help at all - I eventu ...[text shortened]... h the steps described at http://www.beginnerspc.com/articles.cfm?articleid=1579&page=2

-Jarno
    i ran a search found HOST but i cant modify it, it says i need the source to open it so what do i do?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree