1. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '06 11:20
    Arent the rating changes based on the players ratings at the beginning of the game?

For example, I started a game with an opponent who is about 50 or 60 points stronger than me. But, by the time the game ended, his rating had dropped enough so that it was lower than mine.

I won the game and my rating increased according to the ratings at the end of the game. If mine had increased according to the ratings at the beginning, it would have went up more.

Not that this is a real big deal... I'm just curious as to why this is.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Oct '06 11:47
    Originally posted by Wayne1324
    Arent the rating changes based on the players ratings at the beginning of the game?

For example, I started a game with an opponent who is about 50 or 60 points stronger than me. But, by the time the game ended, his rating had dropped enough so that it was lower than mine.

I won the game and my rating increased according to the ratings at the end of t ...[text shortened]... d have went up more.

Not that this is a real big deal... I'm just curious as to why this is.
    I think we once voted for it. And most of us wanted the change should be calculated from the ratings involved at the end of the game.

Se further at http://www.redhotpawn.com/vote/result.php?voteid=7
  3. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Oct '06 12:36
    I see, thanks!
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 22:50
    I won a guy called crazydiamond(his rating was 1200 provisional),the guy didn´t move after the 7 days of timebank, i won by time,but my rating decrease lol,why?? i was with 1475 and now with 1467,strange!!!

THAT´S NOT RIGTH!!!WHAT KIND OF CHESS SITE DO THIS TO THE PLAYERS THAT WON BY TIME,EVEN THE NEWBIES IN OTHER CHESS SITES,WHEN THEY LOSE ,MY RATING INCREASES A LITTLE;DON´T DECREASES FOR GOD SAKE!!!
  5. Berks.
    Moves
    25 Oct '06 23:00
    Originally posted by byrds32
    I won a guy called crazydiamond(his rating was 1200 provisional),the guy didn´t move after the 7 days of timebank, i won by time,but my rating decrease lol,why?? i was with 1475 and now with 1467,strange!!!

THAT´S NOT RIGTH!!!WHAT KIND OF CHESS SITE DO THIS TO THE PLAYERS THAT WON BY TIME,EVEN THE NEWBIES IN OTHER CHESS SITES,WHEN THEY LOSE ,MY RATING INCREASES A LITTLE;DON´T DECREASES FOR GOD SAKE!!!
    It's not strange. It's because you're provisionally rated. The FAQ has full details of how ratings change, but note as provisional ratings are based upon an average of your opponents, they may be erratic.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 06:38
    Originally posted by byrds32

FAQ
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 06:491 edit
    That the ratings are changing, a new member to our club of RHP may be seen as erratic for a new member. But after a time, and at least 20 games, he realize that there must be a method to bring a player to his rating reflecting his skill as fast as possible.

FAQ says it seems to be erratic, but doesn't explain why, in a way that a beginner of rating systems and a new member of RHP easily can grasp.

The erratic behaviour of the rating points will stabilize after 20 games, believe me.
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    26 Oct '06 07:32
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    That the ratings are changing, a new member to our club of RHP may be seen as erratic for a new member. But after a time, and at least 20 games, he realize that there must be a method to bring a player to his rating reflecting his skill as fast as possible.

FAQ says it seems to be erratic, but doesn't explain why, in a way that a beginner of rating sys ...[text shortened]... grasp.

The erratic behaviour of the rating points will stabilize after 20 games, believe me.
    FAQ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree