1. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 08:52
    OK. The ratings are in the finishing-date order now, but the graphs are reversed.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 09:20
    Russ flicks through Yellow pages, looking for counselling...

'Coping with the loss of your father...' No.
    'Coping with the loss of your pet...' No, not that one either.
    'Coping with data loss on your web site...' That is the one - I need help!

All restored now, thankfully. (I have aged 5 years in 24 hours.) If you won multiple games between 5am and 2pm GMT yesterday, there maybe a small ordering problem on your graph for this period alone, otherwise, everything is back as normal.

😏

-Russ
  3. Joined
    20 Aug '03
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 10:241 edit
    Highest rating in the past 30 days seems to be still incorrect though. Mine was 1831 and then dropped to 1816 today, and it shows

Highest Rating: 1816 (Last 30 Days)
  4. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 11:111 edit
    Yes, it looks like highest rating in 30 days has been reset so it will show as your highest rating now - a small glitch which I presume will right itself in the next 30 days.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 11:33
    This figure is calculated in real-time - so one quick fix later and this is now sorted out.

In case you were curious what happened yesterday, it was the release of some significant changes to improve site performance.

Regardless of if you think the site is quicker now, I can tell you that it is - because I have been monitoring it. (Don't argue with me 😉 )The site was prone to 'stalling' occasionally before (so it would be quite quick, and then one request would take ages.). This problem should now be resolved.

-Russ
  6. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 12:46
    Originally posted by Russ
    This figure is calculated in real-time - so one quick fix later and this is now sorted out.

In case you were curious what happened yesterday, it was the release of some significant changes to improve site performance.

Regardless of if you think the site is quicker now, I can tell you that it is - because I have been monitoring it. (Don't argue with me ...[text shortened]... quick, and then one request would take ages.). This problem should now be resolved.

-Russ
    And the next thing will be the implementation of the Leagues right ... right? ... right? Oh please ... I am so looking forward to that!!!
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 13:07
    Email verification next (see comments in site announcements for more info.), but that isn’t a 'biggie'. It should be the last of my 'operational' jobs before I can get back to features.

-Russ
  8. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 13:27
    Good work, Russ. I had been noticing the stalling, so I'm glad that's all resolved. 😀
  9. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 14:23
    Russ, for some reason my rating keeps recording the games I lose whereas I only want it to record the games I win. Must be some sort of glitch, right?
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 15:31
    If I give you my IBAN, and a figure, and wait until my bank get in touch about a deposit, I can make that happen, OK? 😉

-Russ
  11. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    25 Aug '04 17:56
    Originally posted by thire
    Russ, when you work on the ratingsgraphs: perhaps you like the idea of different colors for won/lost/t.o. games. and perhaps darker/brighter if I played black/white.
    An old suggestion, but google dosn't find it anymore :'(
    th
    nobody likes my suggestion?
    :'(
    th
  12. London
    Moves
    26 Aug '04 20:37
    I like it! 😀 In fact, I thought I suggested it first. 😉 But I don't see anyone else queueing up to give this a bump. :'(
  13. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    26 Aug '04 21:04
    Originally posted by RolandYoung
    I like it! 😀 In fact, I thought I suggested it first. ...
    sorry forgat that 😉
    can you find the original thread? (not to prove that you are right, but to read all old ideas about this improvement)
    th 😀
  14. London
    Moves
    28 Aug '04 14:19
    (just to keep the thread alive...)

I don't think I have much hope of tracking down the thread.

I think it was before the timebank was introduced. In those days losing on timeout was a real problem and people could easily have huge ratings slumps if they went on holiday. If I wanted to play someome who seemed to have a comparable rating, I'd look at their ratings graph; if there had been a big fall I'd click at a few points to see if they were timeouts. Playing someone whose rating was artificially depressed by timeouts was very bad news.

I suggested back then that maybe the games won or lost by timeout could be shown by bars of a different colour. The idea didn't get a lot of support, perhaps because it was more important to do something about the root cause (by bringing in timebanks) or perhaps because many people felt that winning by timeout was as good as by checkmate or resignation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree