Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. 23 Mar '04 18:26
    Hi, curious, could you add a way to check who recommeded a post in a thread ?

Just that I find some rather silly recommendations and curious if its simply a case of the same people recommending all threads they agree with ?

thanks
  2. 23 Mar '04 18:37
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    Just that I find some rather silly recommendations and curious if its simply a case of the same people recommending all threads they agree with ?
    Could be, but don't forget that this is exactly why the feature was created. 🙂

-Ray.
  3. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    23 Mar '04 20:58 / 1 edit

thanks
    I think there should be a number next you the rec number in the forums... lets say I have 15 recs.... they might be from 10 different people... that would make my recs read:

15/10

(or something like that.)

Someone else might have a number of recs like this...

37/3

that would show us that this person has a lot of recs, but they come from only a few people.

It would be a good add, and not give names out of who recs who... just tell us how "believable" the recs are for any given user.

P-
  4. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    23 Mar '04 21:34

thanks
    What would you have people base their recommendations on?
  5. 23 Mar '04 23:42
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What would you have people base their recommendations on?

I dont particularly mind what people base their recommendations one, merely that I would like to know who recommeded a particular thread.

4 people sharing the same point of view, could recommend a post 4 times, thus pretty much negating the entire point of recommending a post.

Its pretty arbitrary in the long run... just that I would like to know who agrees with a certain point of view when they recommend a post.
  6. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    24 Mar '04 00:07
    [b]What would you have people base their recommendations on?

I dont particularly mind what people base their recommendations one, merely that I would like to know who recommeded a particular thread.

4 people sharing the same point of view, could recommend a post 4 times, thus pretty much negating the entire po ...[text shortened]... that I would like to know who agrees with a certain point of view when they recommend a post.
    [/b]
    You say you don't mind what people base their recommendations on, but then you go on to say that if they recommend a post because they share that point of view that it negates the entire point of the recommendations.

You must, therefore, have a very specific idea of what point the recommendations should serve. I'm just trying to figure out what you perceive that point to be. Should posts be recommended for wit? For eloquent style? For correct spelling and grammar? Or should a post be recommended because the author has made a point that resonates with the reader and is something he agrees with?
  7. 24 Mar '04 01:35
    You say you don't mind what people base their recommendations on, but then you go on to say that if they recommend a post because they share that point of view that it negates the entire point of the recommendations.

You answer the question below

You must, therefore, have a very specific idea of what point the recommendations should serve. I'm just trying to figure out what you perceive that point to be. Should posts be recommended for wit? For eloquent style? For correct spelling and grammar? Or should a post be recommended because the author has made a point that resonates with the reader and is something he agrees with?

I find a humerous statement significant enough reason to mark it as recommended, same for a few words or insight. Should the reader agree with the poster, I dont neccesarily believe it to be a great reason to recommend the post, particularly as I could post "Dogs bark", which we all will agree on (well mostly).

I would prefer reading through recommended posts when they bring new insight into a discussion, not merely concurrance. I believe many recommendations are just that. People agreeing with a widely accepted view or belief.

eg: Should I state "God is almightly" , I would probably state something just about every Christian believes in, but would you consider this post insightfull or merely a popular opinion ?

cheers
  8. Standard member Coletti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    24 Mar '04 02:42 / 1 edit
    Please give an example of a specific post that fits that description. Your idea is interesting, but I have never recommend a post for that specific reason - just because I agreed.

😉 However, I have heard that rwingett has a few hard-core followers 😵, about 5 total, who recommend his posts. His "recommends" would look like 40/5. 😉

P.S. If you agree, recommend this post.
    🙂
  9. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    24 Mar '04 03:10
    [b]You say you don't mind what people base their recommendations on, but then you go on to say that if they recommend a post because they share that point of view that it negates the entire point of the recommendations.

You answer the question below

You must, therefore, have a very specific idea of wha ...[text shortened]... elieves in, but would you consider this post insightfull or merely a popular opinion ?

cheers
    I would wager that the bulk of your 21 recommendations were from fellow christians who felt it was somehow their duty to back you up. If so, would you begrudge them this show of support? I suspect that you feel that many of mine were given for partisan reasons as well.

In order to feel that someone has brought some new insight into the discussion, you must concur with that person to some degree. There must be at least some point of agreement for a mutually benificial conversation to progress. Since you and I hold mutually exclusive and irreconcilable views, it is virtually impossible for me to think that you have enriched any discussion that you have partaken in. Your thought processes are compeletely foreign to me. As far as I can see, you are merely regurgitating warmed over biblical paplum ad nauseum. At least that is my perception. So if I were to give out any recommendations at all, they would necessarily go to someone with a viewpoint at least roughly similar to mine.

Given that most posts around here really aren't all that funny or touching, I suspect that that is the process by which most people arrive at their recommendations. At least in the debates forum, anyway.
  10. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    24 Mar '04 03:16
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Please give an example of a specific post that fits that description. Your idea is interesting, but I have never recommend a post for that specific reason - just because I agreed.

😉 However, I have heard that rwingett has a few hard-core followers 😵, about 5 total, who recommend his posts. His "recommends" would look like 40/5. 😉

P.S. If you agree, recommend this post.
    🙂
    Blah, blah, blah. Are you losing as many games for your new clan as you did for mine?
  11. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    24 Mar '04 03:40
    I would wager that the bulk of your 21 recommendations were from fellow christians who felt it was somehow their duty to back you up. If so, would you begrudge them this show of support? I suspect that you feel that many of mine were given for partisan reasons as well.

In order to feel that someone has brought some new insight into the discussion, you m ...[text shortened]... ess by which most people arrive at their recommendations. At least in the debates forum, anyway.
    rwing, I know I have rec'd you more than once. I am also sure you get many free thinking recs... who knows?

I still think it would be great to know how many different people rec'd you... and how many rec'd me. pcaspian... Russ and chrismo?!?!

Wouldn't that help, or at least be a neat stat??

T-

12. Standard member Coletti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    24 Mar '04 03:57
    Blah, blah, blah. Are you losing as many games for your new clan as you did for mine?
    Still working on it. 😉 I'm not sure why you seem to be taking this thread so seriously. At least, that's how I read it. I threw in the wink so you'd know I only joking. I expect your recommends are due to your thoughtful insights. Nobody's out to get you rwing. (Well, not when your are looking.)

But I find it interesting that someone recommended your post. Maybe pcaspian has a point. Clearly your zing at me was nothing more meaningful or insightful than mine was at you. Maybe it comes from being a clan leader.

Would the 'recommender' or rwinger's post care to comment?
  13. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    24 Mar '04 06:15
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Still working on it. 😉 I'm not sure why you seem to be taking this thread so seriously. At least, that's how I read it. I threw in the wink so you'd know I only joking. I expect your recommends are due to your thoughtful insights. Nobody's out to get you rwing. (Well, not when your are looking.)

But I find it interesting that someone recommended y ...[text shortened]... omes from being a clan leader.

Would the 'recommender' or rwinger's post care to comment?
    I have not rec'd a single post here.... I'd like to see my formula in action.
  14. 24 Mar '04 16:43
    i]Originally posted by rwingett[/i]

I have no idea where to check how many recommendations you have received or how many you have recommended yourself. I really don't particularly care how many people have recommended any posts of mine. Just that when I go to the recommended forum list, I see some recommendations from people when I believe they have made much more significant posts previously.

In order to feel that someone has brought some new insight into the discussion, you must concur with that person to some degree. There must be at least some point of agreement for a mutually benificial conversation to progress. Since you and I hold mutually exclusive and irreconcilable views, it is virtually impossible for me to think that you have enriched any discussion that you have partaken in.

I can't agree on this. I could oppose many of your views, yet if you post something I find significantly pertinent (not just to the discussion), but something someone, who has not even read a single post of a thread, would consider interesting I will recommend it.

Your thought processes are compeletely foreign to me. As far as I can see, you are merely regurgitating warmed over biblical paplum ad nauseum.

I don't even understand paplum and nauseum... so I don't think I made use of those 😉

Given that most posts around here really aren't all that funny or touching, I suspect that that is the process by which most people arrive at their recommendations. At least in the debates forum, anyway.

Well, simply put, you could read a thread about disney movies you find thoroughly interesting.

Basically I have little problem with you recommending someone else that concurs with your viewpoint and what that person posts really hits the nail on the head, however when it's merely stating what we know we disagree on... its fruitless no ?

15. Standard member crythias
    Multiple OS User
    25 Mar '04 14:23
    I'd merely like to know which of my posts were recommended. I don't really care who did it, but I'd like to know which and (maybe) when?

PS: if Chrismo or Russ or someone wants to fix the forum search so:
    a) the search results sort properly (by date, perhaps) in one direction or another
    b) it includes the last date of the search when searching (you always have to have end date plus 1)
    c) the left arrow key moves back one page, just as the right arrow moves forward one page

I'd be pleased as punch.