1. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    26 May '04 17:47
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Fine! 😉

Here's my view....

People cheat. There are sure to be people here who somehow have 2 stars, and 2 clans.... It is possible!

Now they can play each other all they want.... Cool Clan vs. Lame Clan jacking up extra points.

That is all. And, yes... If I really wanted I'd easy give $35 or $40 bucks a year to have 2 stars if I was into that....

P-
    I'm not sure I follow old bean. Two usernames, two clans - they play off against each other and build up a shed-load of points. This is possible under the current system, non? The current system blocks two clans playing together that share a common member. In your example, the members wouldn't be 'common' since (although it is in fact the same person) they would have different usernames.

Perhaps I'm being a bit slow and not understanding.

In an indirect way I'm against such a proposal in any case, not because of any cheating possibilities but because I'm actually in favour of one person - whilst free to move between clans - belonging at any one point to one clan, and one clan only.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 May '04 18:15
    Originally posted by T1000
    I'm not sure I follow old bean. Two usernames, two clans - they play off against each other and build up a shed-load of points. This is possible under the current system, non? The current system blocks two clans playing together that share a common member. In your example, the members wouldn't be 'common' since (although it is in fact the same person) they ...[text shortened]... - whilst free to move between clans - belonging at any one point to one clan, and one clan only.
    Ah, you miss the point a little....

Lets say Ted and Fred are the same person.
    Ted is a member of the Teds.
    Fred is a member of the Freds.

Fred does not belong to the Teds, and Ted does not belong to the Freds... (perhaps he quits the clan after this rule change?!)

Now Teds vs. Freds and Ted is happy to make his clan better on points by beating the Freds.....

Glad you are at least against this idea... Not sure I made my point any clearer!

P-
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    26 May '04 18:37
    Ah, you miss the point a little....

Lets say Ted and Fred are the same person.
    Ted is a member of the Teds.
    Fred is a member of the Freds.

Fred does not belong to the Teds, and Ted does not belong to the Freds... (perhaps he quits the clan after this rule change?!)

Now Teds vs. Freds and Ted is happy to make his clan better on points by beating ...[text shortened]... .....

Glad you are at least against this idea... Not sure I made my point any clearer!

P-
    I'm looking through my binoculars and a very long way in the distance I think I can see the point, but I'm defo missing it where I'm at currently!

I follow what you said, but if Ted isn't in the Freds and Fred isn't in the Teds then the two clans would have always been able to play against other, regardless of whether or not Paulie's suggestion had been implemented?

I'm prolly being a bit thick. Utterly draining and depressing day at work today - brain is frazzled.

Either way, I stand shoulder to shoulder with the phlabmonster against the proposal [even though I haven't a clue what he's banging on about 😉]

4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 May '04 18:48
    T-Grand! No, you are making the right points.

I am wrong about this... my logic is off.

You could play your 2 clans anyway if you were not a member of both... and you could not play against yourself if you were a member of either clan.

Lol... I get it now.

P-
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    26 May '04 18:551 edit
    T-Grand! No, you are making the right points.

I am wrong about this... my logic is off.

You could play your 2 clans anyway if you were not a member of both... and you could not play against yourself if you were a member of either clan.

Lol... I get it now.

P-
    Hold on ... wait a sec ... what's that I see through my 'noculars? A point is it? Actually I think it's the pointy bit of Phlabibit's dunce's hat 😉

Only joking Phlabby! Love ya really.

T1000

PS: Am still lost, mind. Not to worry - someone clever will come along and say why we're both wrong 😉
  6. VeggieChess
    Moves
    29 May '04 19:21
    Fine! 😉

Here's my view....

People cheat. There are sure to be people here who somehow have 2 stars, and 2 clans.... It is possible!

Now they can play each other all they want.... Cool Clan vs. Lame Clan jacking up extra points.

That is all. And, yes... If I really wanted I'd easy give $35 or $40 bucks a year to have 2 stars if I was into that....

P-
    i agree with you though perhaps not for the same reasons.
    while i don't think paulie's idea is a bad one as far as intent goes, i really don't see why it is necessary to join an infinity of clans.
    we have a common sense policy in veggiechess - members are free to join other clans, but not to the detriment of the clan.

specifically, if you join 2 or 3 clans that's fine.
    if you join 10 just so you can have lots and lots of games to play, i would prefer that ours wasn't one of them, because:

1) you may dilute your effectiveness as a player trying to play so many games
    2) your clan leaders may feel unsure as to whether to burden you with more games
    3) your identity becomes more confusing

it also seem counterproductive the the concept of clanship to belong to lots of clans because as 'one worldish' as the concept may appear to be, when you manage to belong to every clan, you might as well belong to none.

the inability of clans to play each other when they share members at least puts reins on the acquirement of ubiquitous membership and as such seems to be a useful deterrent.

besides, let's not make russ work harder than he needs to. surely there are more important things he would like to program.

in friendship,
    prad
  7. VeggieChess
    Moves
    29 May '04 19:251 edit
    Originally posted by T1000
    PS: Am still lost, mind. Not to worry - someone clever will come along and say why we're both wrong 😉
    i have not read what you two have being saying so i cannot say that you are both wrong.
    i only saw the part about the 'someone clever' and hoped that if i posted, i might be considered so.

in fiendship,
    prad
  8. Toronto, Canada
    Moves
    30 May '04 13:29
    This makes such good sense, given the current politcal situation with CAPS fighting with CARS... how incredibly stupid! Four members of my former clan have quit or been ejected over this issue. Russ, please help us with this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree