1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    22 Feb '03 16:47
    Because the site has restrictions on non-pawn stars (i.e., ten games), this has created the
    possibility of creating multiple logins to get around the problem. Recently, but without malice,
    UncleAdam made a second account and began playing with it because there was some issue with
    his login. Wins or losses incurred by him during this time, therefore, didn't affect his original
    player's rating, which I assume he has resumed using.

On a more suspicious note, mariobros and kapt mario make very clear that they are the same
    person in their profile. I suspect this was to get around the ten game limit. Again, wins or losses
    incurred by this person would only reflect that profile being used and not the other.

This seems contrary to the spirit of this site and the rating system. Is this allowed? Is there a way
    that some program can scan multiple logins from the same IP within a period of time (say an hour)
    in order to verify that such things would not occur? Or at least prevent the same email address for
    being used for a second login?

I note that there is nothing (to my knowledge) discouraging this practice in the introductory files
    on the site.

Nemesio
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Feb '03 18:43
    We definitely do not support the use of two accounts to get around the 10 game limit. We can't detect it – even using an IP address is not effective. You can't use the same email address twice anyway- not that that is enough to deter anyone.

We are in a difficult position with matters such as these as there is no terms and conditions that anyone has agreed to that forbid such behaviour, so we cannot penalise anyone. I may need to rectify this in the future.

-Russ
  3. DonationChessNut
    Lightly Salted...
    Moves
    23 Feb '03 02:46
    It's a shame you even have to worry about it!!
  4. Joined
    11 May '02
    Moves
    23 Feb '03 22:421 edit
    Originally posted by ChessNut
    It's a shame you even have to worry about it!!
    The point needs to be made:
    Subscribe.
    Mari.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree