scoresheet OTB

Standard memberJusuh
Help 05 Jul '05 17:04
  1. back in business
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 17:04
    simple question about OTB chess:

when player has less than 5 minutes time in his clock he may stop writing moves to his scoresheet...that is a fact... but does his opponent still have to write moves down?

in example: my opponent is down to his last 4 minutes in regural (2h/G) game and I have still 30 minutes left; so do I have to still keep track of played moves if my opponent has already stopped doing that..?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    05 Jul '05 18:38
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    simple question about OTB chess:

when player has less than 5 minutes time in his clock he may stop writing moves to his scoresheet...that is a fact... but does his opponent still have to write moves down?

in example: my opponent is down to his last 4 minutes in regural (2h/G) game and I have still 30 minutes left; so do I have to still keep track of played moves if my opponent has already stopped doing that..?
    Yes you do. Your notation will be used to take down his when the game is over.
    If neither player is recording the game then an arbiter should.
  3. back in business
    Moves
    06 Jul '05 07:11
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Yes you do. Your notation will be used to take down his when the game is over.
    If neither player is recording the game then an arbiter should.
    that is what I thought too as it makes perfect sense. But then I saw anarticle by Dan Heisman...in his article he wrote;

"If you are playing OTB, you should stop keeping score when there is less than 5 minutes time left in a time control but, if you have more than five, continue to keep score even if your opponent has less althought you are allowed to stop... ...There is one expection: when your opponent is short on time you should stop keeping score too even though you have lots more time"

reason I am asking this is that I recently played OTB (1.5h/G) game where I was positionally totally lost, but my opponent on the other hand was in a slight time trouble (<5min). Because I thought I was going down anyway I stopped keeping score too... then, after couple of moves, my opponent blundered badly, and resigned immediately! already some spectators were stating that the game should still be claimed as a draw or my loss as I ceased keeping score too early.

anyway my opponent, a real gentleman, refused to make a formal complain to TD, and so I got a full point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree