1. Joined
    11 Jul '03
    Moves
    29 Jul '04 23:15
    I am almost sure that this suggestion already appeared here as it seems natural, but if not:
    Starting of the next tournament round without waiting for the games which could not affect qualification, will speed up tournaments significantly. Both tournaments I'm playing (The Dutch Tournament and Grand Split One Fourteen VIII) stuck on the first round due to unfinished games in the middle/bottom of the table. I see some pattern here:-)
  2. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '04 05:042 edits
    Originally posted by TovMauzer
    I am almost sure that this suggestion already appeared here as it seems natural, but if not:
    Starting of the next tournament round without waiting for the games which could not affect qualification, will speed up tournaments significantl ...[text shortened]... ames in the middle/bottom of the table. I see some pattern here:-)
    Yep, I am one of the guilty parties in the Dutch but hardly consider myself "middle/bottom" table and besides, its not my move.😕
  3. Joined
    11 Jul '03
    Moves
    30 Jul '04 08:41
    Excuse me for putting you into the middle/bottom:-) My point is still valid however - there are no unfinished games which could affect qualification...
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jul '04 10:37
    Excuse me for putting you into the middle/bottom:-) My point is still valid however - there are no unfinished games which could affect qualification...
    Apology acknowledged, but whats the hurry? You will shortly enough be up to your clocks in round two players and I would have thought that this "inter round" downtime would have been better spent in preparation.

Question: What do I predominately open with, with the white pieces and how do I respond with black to the other main lines. You will need to be very familiar with all of these openings. I will follow your progress in round two with interest.

BR's .skeeter
  5. Joined
    11 Jul '03
    Moves
    30 Jul '04 19:36
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Apology acknowledged, but whats the hurry? You will shortly enough be up to your clocks in round two players and I would have thought that this "inter round" downtime would have been better spent in preparation.

Question: What do I predominately open with, with the white pieces and how do I respond with black to the other main lines. You will need to b ...[text shortened]... these openings. I will follow your progress in round two with interest.

BR's .skeeter
    There is no hurry from my side. I probably just did not explain my point of view good enough, so I'll try again:
    I believe, that the main problem with tournaments is that no one can say beforehand how long will tournament take. With "functional" vacation system (system there vacation flag is meaningful), there would be no problem with that. With current vacation system however, there is a problem - not everybody can predict their long-term future:-) So, the less time tournament takes, the less is probability of unfortunate timeouts. My proposal would allow to speed up tournaments significantly. Although the fundamental solution, in my view, would be "real" vacation system which does not allow to timeout player with vacation flag.
    And just to avoid any misunderstanding: I see nothing wrong with slower games/players, my post was not about that.

About 2nd round: I see this tournament as the mean to check my Dutch against strong players. And in fact I'm afraid, I'm very afraid:-)
  6. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    30 Jul '04 19:43
    ... text shortened ...

About 2nd round: I see this tournament as the mean to check my Dutch against strong players. And in fact I'm afraid, I'm very afraid:-)
    And you are not the only one .... :'(

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree