1. UK
    Moves
    17 May '04 22:01
    Has RHP ever produced statistics from it's growing database of completed correspondence games other than the player tables? I'm thinking of things like number of exact-duplicate games (if any) that have occurred, the top 10 or 20 most popular openings, total number of 1-0, 0-1, and 1/2-1/2 results, player tables broken down by country (e.g. top 100 players in the UK for example), bar-graph of the busiest months or weeks of the year for RHP, mean time-per-move by country and by rating.

I have no really serious reason for asking, but I think it would be quite interesting to see these sorts of stats and I think it would be relatively straight-forward to automate the process of generating them assuming that all the games are stored in an SQL database somewhere.

Kind regards,
    Chris.
  2. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    18 May '04 08:17
    I do agree with you that all these are very intersting statistics, but I think it causes too much servertraffic to offer things like that. So I guess this will not come 🙁
    th
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    18 May '04 11:04
    The 'guys' have talked about an RHP Database.... some time.

Right now I guess they are busy with other stuff.

Time will tell, things change a lot at RHP.... many changes in the one year I was here!

P-
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    18 May '04 12:34
    Would these be useful as part of the statistics displayed on a players' profile page?

-Since there is quite a bit of discussion about claiming time-out victories, it would be interesting to see some data that shows this as a percentage of a players' total wins and losses.

-Another item that might be informative would be something that shows how many times a player has used the 'on vacation' option, and an average for how often it is left on.

Marc
  5. UK
    Moves
    18 May '04 13:47
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    -Since there is quite a bit of discussion about claiming time-out victories, it would be interesting to see some data that shows this as a percentage of a players' total wins and losses.

-Another item that might be informative would be something that shows how many times a player has used the 'on vacation' option, and an average for how often it is left on.

Marc
    Yes I agree, % of wins acheived by timeout would be a useful statistic on the player pages. Also, I think a player's mean time-between-moves would be useful (perhaps more so than than user-selectable move frequency).

And on the tricky subject of timeouts, I don't think players should be allowed to make any moves when they are set to on-vacation. I've finally given-in and just reluctantly timed out an opponent who has been set to on vacation for approx. 3 weeks, but who still occasionally made moves within that period. The fact that he entitled the game "very frequent mover" and has a move-frequency of "All day" wound me up a bit too!

Regards,
    Chris.
  6. Candelária, RS
    Moves
    19 May '04 22:00
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    The 'guys' have talked about an RHP Database.... some time.
    I would like to have an FTP site where I can download all the games played here. It can start with a ziped with all the games finished until Abril 30, and every 1st day of the month, a new file, smaller, containing only the games finished during the last month is added to the FTP server. Every month, a new file is added to the collection. I think this can use minimal server resources (I don't know the possible size of the file, but I'm pretty sure that if you zip/gzip/bzip it, it becobe very small, as all games are stored in a big PGN file, that happens to be a flat text file, a kind of file that usually has good compression rates).

P.S.: Sorry for the "engrish".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree