Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. 24 Sep '03 22:39 / 2 edits
    Sorry, dodgy keyboard. 😳
    I meant the thread title to be "Highlight timeouts in profile graph"

I had this idea: why not use a different colour (blue, say) on the profile graphs for the steps that represent games ended by timeout than for the ones that represent games coming to a proper end?

One could then spot both strong players whose rating has been hit by a string of timeouts and weak ones who have boosted their ratings by sneakiness.
  2. Standard member eddie anders
    Santa.
    24 Sep '03 22:54
    Originally posted by RolandYoung
    Sorry, dodgy keyboard. 😳
    I meant the thread title to be "Highlight timeouts in profile graph"

I had this idea: why not use a different colour (blue, say) on the profile graphs for the steps that represent games ended by timeout than for the ones that represent games coming to a proper end?

One could then spot both strong players whose rating has been hit by a string of timeouts and weak ones who have boosted their ratings by sneakiness.
    if you mean timing someone out is "sneaky"then i think you are very very mistaken if i was playing you on a three day time out and you didnt move i`d click the little skull in a millisecond.🙂
  3. 25 Sep '03 09:48
    so would i ,unless your vacation setting was on
  4. 25 Sep '03 11:36
    Originally posted by eddie anders
    if you mean timing someone out is "sneaky"then i think you are very very mistaken if i was playing you on a three day time out and you didnt move i`d click the little skull in a millisecond.🙂
    Not all timeouts are sneaky, but there are some players who ignore vacation flags, especially in games that they would have expected to lose. There are also some players who leap in the moment someone takes off their vacation flag and before they have had time to make all their moves.

I am ready to time people out myself - I timed someone out on three games this week - but generally only when I am winning or if the player appears to have gone away.

What I meant was that, if you had a player whose graph showed that many or most of his 'up-ticks' were due to timeouts, and especially if some of those were large upward jumps (i.e. 'wins' against strong players), you might be justified in smelling a rat. Or you could just use the information to go after him for the points. 😛
  5. Standard member eddie anders
    Santa.
    25 Sep '03 22:15
    Not all timeouts are sneaky, but there are some players who ignore vacation flags, especially in games that they would have expected to lose. There are also some players who leap in the moment someone takes off their vacation flag and before they have had time to make all their moves.

I am ready to time people out myself - I timed someone out on three ...[text shortened]... fied in smelling a rat. Or you could just use the information to go after him for the points. 😛
    ok cool.🙂
  6. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    26 Sep '03 02:37

I am ready to time people out myself - I timed someone out on three ...[text shortened]... fied in smelling a rat. Or you could just use the information to go after him for the points. 😛
    Wouldn't a better solution to be "No Time Outs" on vacation? A graph showing timeouts is silly, since you would probably think someone is cheating... where if you changed vacations to "no Time Outs" all time outs are now legit.

Russ and Chrismo are working on that right now. You get about 28 days a year to be on vacation.

P-
  7. 30 Sep '03 17:11
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    A graph showing timeouts is silly, since you would probably think someone is cheating...
    You are probably right where 'timeouts taken' are concerned, particularly if the 'timeout immunity days' feature is introduced.

'Timeouts conceded' is another matter - if someone's profile graph shows a downward slide, I often find myself wondering if they left the site for a while.

If timeouts were highlighted, you would be able to spot the following
    1) Someone who is a much stronger player than their present rating implies
    2) Someone who is not likely to play those tournament games he signed up for before he gave up on the site.
  8. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    30 Sep '03 17:22
    You are probably right where 'timeouts taken' are concerned, particularly if the 'timeout immunity days' feature is introduced.

'Timeouts conceded' is another matter - if someone's profile graph shows a downward slide, I often find myself wondering if they left the site for a while.

If timeouts were highlighted, you would be able to spot th ...[text shortened]... who is not likely to play those tournament games he signed up for before he gave up on the site.
    It's still tricky.... Some people get behind in a game and stop moving. They get some kind of satisfaction I think with making a player wait a week to get the win. They would rather just let the game sit there and hope it goes away.

I am sure it is different ways with different players... but that is how I get my timeouts for the most part.

P-
  9. Donation belgianfreak
    stitching you up
    01 Oct '03 11:26
    I like the idea for the second reason listed, that it would show if a downward spiral was due to losing/resigning a bunch of lost games or because they were away for a while.
  10. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    01 Oct '03 11:50 / 1 edit
    If you want to see a person's game history, just go to 'public games', click on 'search games' and enter their username.

A list will come up showing all their games, and will clearly show the game status, including their opponents, who won, etc. If a game ended with a time-out being claimed, it clearly shows this too.

Marc
  11. Standard member derek9037
    Elder Statesman
    01 Oct '03 12:44 / 1 edit
    It's still tricky.... Some people get behind in a game and stop moving. They get some kind of satisfaction I think with making a player wait a week to get the win. They would rather just let the game sit there and hope it goes away.
    ...[text shortened]... ers... but that is how I get my timeouts for the most part.

P-
    Then there is the time you're in a poor position, but think it's worth playing on. I'm currently awaiting an opponent moving after 8 days (reminders sent) but because he has the better position am reluctant to claim the T/O. But then how long do I wait...

12. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    01 Oct '03 13:47
    Originally posted by derek9037
    Then there is the time you're in a poor position, but think it's worth playing on. I'm currently awaiting an opponent moving after 8 days (reminders sent) but because he has the better position am reluctant to claim the T/O. But then how long do I wait...

Timmy Toilet and Eddy Anders would tell you that you waited too long already!

I'ts a tough call, is the person making moves in other games? Did you PM them?? I PM people and warn them when I will send no more reminders if I see they are making moves in other games but not mine.

My whole profile is about how I go about T/O. No surprises for anyone if they just read it.

P-
  13. Standard member derek9037
    Elder Statesman
    01 Oct '03 13:59
    [I'ts a tough call, is the person making moves in other games? Did you PM them?? I PM people and warn them when I will send no more reminders if I see they are making moves in other games but not mine.
    P-[/b]
    Looking at his other games, seems he's not around as many have T/O him. I'll try a PM and then...🙁