1. Joined
    29 Aug '03
    Moves
    09 Jul '04 19:52
    If you suspect a player having been assisted with their moves via computer or otherwise, is their any recourse via the opponent or RHP?.....We all should be graceful when losing....'its called good sportsmanship'...but in some rare cases, a win by a player rated 500 pts or more lower than his opponent may breed suspicion?...Granted, depending on the 500 pt. or more spread, I'm not sure if a 1500 rating is more apt to defeat a 2000 player and a less likely event is that of a 1000 rating defeating a 1500 player...Any thoughts welcome!!!!....
  2. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Jul '04 19:57
    Everybody has bad games, regardless. The person rated 500pts higher than his opponent may play the game like he's won it already and therefore, suck at it. But I know what you mean about being suspicious. But, correspondance chess allows the player lots of time to think, making them more likely to make the best move possible.
  3. Joined
    29 Aug '03
    Moves
    09 Jul '04 20:02
    Point well taken......
  4. Joined
    29 Aug '03
    Moves
    09 Jul '04 20:12
    Another thought that fuels the suspicion aspect is this....after the loss or resignation, one would commend the player, perhaps adding that such a move was unstoppable or inventive....the defeated player may opt to state that his own move was not very good and perhaps another move might have been better?...but all in all a congratulatory mood was offered but when there is no acknowledgement by the opponent via the message dialogue feature!......A little perplexing I'd say....well, on to the next game!....πŸ˜€
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Jul '04 20:12
    Originally posted by JMP
    Point well taken......
    Just another point... if they are using chess engines they shouldn't be rated so low, I would think.

I do have a private list in my head of players I will not play anymore, and always expect chances are I might be playing a cheater... but there is no way to prove it, and I move on.

I'm not sure if it was Sir Lost or Living Leg that said, "I don't mind if they use a chess engine to cheat, as long as they keep using it rather than only using it to beat me!"

So folks... if you cheat... please keep cheating consistant!

πŸ˜‰

P-
  6. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jul '04 20:48
    Originally posted by Alpha10
    Everybody has bad games, regardless. The person rated 500pts higher than his opponent may play the game like he's won it already and therefore, suck at it. But I know what you mean about being suspicious. But, correspondance chess allows the player lots of time to think, making them more likely to make the best move possible.
    I take that back, you have made a good point and I'll give you a rec for that too. πŸ˜€
  7. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    09 Jul '04 21:05
    My bad about the comments guys...and what exactly are recs for?
  8. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Jul '04 21:13
    I gave you a rec cos I agreed with your point.

It's a way of highlighting good posts for other people.
  9. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeΒ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    09 Jul '04 21:511 edit
    Originally posted by JMP
    If you suspect a player having been assisted with their moves via computer or otherwise, is their any recourse via the opponent or RHP?.....We all should be graceful when losing....'its called good sportsmanship'...but in some rare cases, a w ...[text shortened]... 1000 rating defeating a 1500 player...Any thoughts welcome!!!!....
    Firstly the best thing is to make it notice to admins,instead of posting in forums,but you made no name calling and that's good.
    Watching your games I guess I understood who you're speaking of,and I assure you that he's one of the nicest and genuine people of the site:I would say for sure that he's not playing with PC assistance,even if I would not be able to reckon it.
    I played with him and I got beaten once or twice,but that doesn't make him a cheater,he's simply a good player who has got a lucky (?) shot against you.
    However not much time ago he had a 1300 rating so your accusations don't make much sense to me.

P.S.watching the game I think that your opponent made a great move but you didn't spotted it,seems like he was preparing this attack.......
  10. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    10 Jul '04 01:10
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Firstly the best thing is to make it notice to admins,instead of posting in forums,but you made no name calling and that's good.
    Watching your games I guess I understood who you're speaking of,and I assure you that he's one of the nicest and genuine people of the site:I would say for sure that he's not playing with PC assistance,even if I would not be a ...[text shortened]... nent made a great move but you didn't spotted it,seems like he was preparing this attack.......
    Im not sure Russ would be too happy recieving loads of PM's about stuff like this. Perhaps if you have a chess engine, analyse the game. If they have moved consistently gaining an advantage on each move, you can be a little more certain your not flagging a good player πŸ™‚¬~

James~>

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree