1. Joined
    03 Mar '09
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 21:47
    Who sets the time out and time bank? Is it random? I realized yesterday to my dismay that I was playing a game with 1 day per move and 0 timebank wihich doesn't suit me at all since I don't have a computer and can only play at work and in Intenet cafes. If I had realized earlier, I would have erased this game. Yesterday, I thought I had been timed out as it read "time expired" but for some reason my move was registered anyway and my opponent has since moved as well. How come this game is still going on when the time had expired?
    Thanks for your answer.
    Phil
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 21:50
    Originally posted by philblein
    Who sets the time out and time bank? Is it random? I realized yesterday to my dismay that I was playing a game with 1 day per move and 0 timebank wihich doesn't suit me at all since I don't have a computer and can only play at work and in Intenet cafes. If I had realized earlier, I would have erased this game. Yesterday, I thought I had been timed out as ...[text shortened]... w come this game is still going on when the time had expired?
    Thanks for your answer.
    Phil
    You set the time outs and time banks. When a challenge is made, you can either accept it or reject it.

As to the one that you accepted that is too fast, just resign it. Your rating may drop for a few games, but the way ratings are calculated, temporary ups and downs quickly correct back to an approximation of your true rating strength. No harm done.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 23:53
    How come this game is still going on when the time had expired?
    Timeouts are not automatic, they need to be claimed. If your opponent doesn't claim the win before you make your next move, you'll get the full timeout time again on the next move (the timebank does not fill up again, but this isn't relevant in this case as the game doesn't have a timebank).
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 00:521 edit
    When you create a new game or an open invite game, you set the time controls.

When you accept a game from a challenger you should check the time controls that are set before actually playing the game.

If you do not like the parameters of a newly started game, just delete the game before two moves have been completed by black and it will not count in the statistics for either player.

Once black has completed their second move the "delete game" option is no longer available. In that case you will need to either play it out or resign.

As already mentioned, just because you run out of time does not mean you automatically lose the game. The time-out victory still has to be claimed. (An automatic loss on time can happen in tournaments, but we're not talking about that with your situation.)

If you and your opponent are honorable players you should be able to communicate with each other and still play a game out even if the time controls aren't good for your schedule.
  5. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 07:40
    For your existing game, let your opponent know your circumstances and explain that you didn't understand the time controls. Most people are flexible about timeouts if they have been notified in this way.
  6. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 19:45
    How come this game is still going on when the time had expired?
    Your opponent either saw the skull (which is clicked to claim victory by timeout) or never signed in at the right time to see it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree