Time Outs

Standard memberNemesio
Help 15 Feb '03 17:10
  1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    15 Feb '03 17:10
    After what point when a person uses the vacation mode is it appropriate to claim a time out?
    Two months? Four? Half a year?

Nemesio
  2. Joined
    14 Feb '03
    Moves
    15 Feb '03 17:17
    Originally posted by nemesio
    After what point when a person uses the vacation mode is it appropriate to claim a time out?
    Two months? Four? Half a year?

Nemesio
    I'd say Two-to-Three months
  3. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    15 Feb '03 20:13
    It really depends on the game. If you're up by a queen and a couple minor pieces, and on the verge of beating them anyway, time them out. It's bad practice, in my opinion, to time someone out when they are beating you. The game should be decided, to as great a degree as possible, on the chessboard.
  4. Standard memberzach918
    Banned
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '03 02:16
    usually i give them a couple extra days if they are on vacation. if their vacation settings aren't on, i usually time them out immediately 🙂
  5. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    19 Feb '03 11:31
    I have to say that you just have to use your best judgement of that particular situation. If gameplay has been fairly quick, say about five moves a day, then after a week I feel it would be logical to time out. Likewise, I would grant much extra time if the vacation setting was on. Perhaps sending a reminder a few days before time out is applicable. Just bear in mind that time out is a win not earned, and I feel it should mainly be claimed when it seems the opponent has abandoned the game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree