Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. Standard member Impala03
    Attire Advisor
    09 Aug '04 04:48
    In light of the recent run in of fakes * cough lets not name names. I think a good idea would be to if a player is titled they should be able to have the title next to there name FM, IM, GM, WIM, WGM. They would have to of course send proof of ID, but it might be a good idea in showing strong, titled players respect.
  2. 09 Aug '04 06:08
    That's a nice idea.
  3. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    10 Aug '04 01:00
    how can it be easily proved that it is the same person?
    it is a good idea - but how can it be done?
  4. 10 Aug '04 01:38
    Originally posted by flexmore
    how can it be easily proved that it is the same person?
    it is a good idea - but how can it be done?
    You could always ask for USCF ID or FIDE ID, or something that proves you are who you say you are.

-TT
  5. Donation belgianfreak
    stitching you up
    10 Aug '04 12:50
    Originally posted by TimmyToilet
    You could always ask for USCF ID or FIDE ID, or something that proves you are who you say you are.

-TT
    Are these things so secret thatthey prove a persons identity? If so how would Russ be able to verify them? Would people be willing to hand them out so freely if someone else's knowledge of them would allow impersonation?

I would like to see it in the ToS that you should not create an ID with a user name of a known chess player unless you really are that person. It might already be there, but if not it'd make sense to me.
  6. 10 Aug '04 12:59 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    Are these things so secret thatthey prove a persons identity? If so how would Russ be able to verify them? Would people be willing to hand them out so freely if someone else's knowledge of them would allow impersonation?

I would li ...[text shortened]... son. It might already be there, but if not it'd make sense to me.
    The actual USCF card is not private enough not to give out (There is also a private pin number not on the card). So in theory, one could always send Russ a copy of the card to prove who they are, if people want to be sure they are interacting with the real person

-TT