T/O sux

T/O sux

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Be Happy Clan!

Moves
20 Jan 04

I bang around on another chess site, also, & they run a real chess clock. When the flag falls ones head rolls. I have lost a few that way, but who was at fault there?

Zeist, Holland

Moves
21 Jan 04

Use the time bank. In the future, it will be possible to take 0 day T/O with 40 day TimeBank. It's just like a real chess clock.

The Be Happy Clan!

Moves
21 Jan 04

It still sux. You park your car at the meter. The meter expires. You get a ticket because you dishonored your implied contract. If you don't want to play within 3 days, set a longer limit. If you get sick that is too bad for you & a chess game win or lose will not do much for your health. Does a basket ball guy get an extra shot because he was getting a drink of water when the clock stopped? A time limit either means something or it means NOTHING.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
21 Jan 04

Originally posted by AJAXO
It still sux. You park your car at the meter. The meter expires. You get a ticket because you dishonored your implied contract. If you don't want to play within 3 days, set a longer limit. If you get sick that is too bad for you & a chess game win or lose will not do much for your health. Does a basket ball guy get an extra shot because he was getting a ...[text shortened]... drink of water when the clock stopped? A time limit either means something or it means NOTHING.
Are you for or against time outs? I'm not sure what you are getting at with this thread?

What is your issue with time outs? Do you think they should be automatic when the time runs out??? Or are you upset because you didn't move in a timely fashion?

P-

c

Moves
21 Jan 04

It still sux. You park your car at the meter. The meter expires. You get a ticket because you dishonored your implied contract. If you don't want to play within 3 days, set a longer limit. If you get sick that is too bad for you & a chess game win or lose will not do much for your health. Does a basket ball guy get an extra shot because he was getting a ...[text shortened]... drink of water when the clock stopped? A time limit either means something or it means NOTHING.
I totally agree. When your flag drops - you lose.
Time outs should be automatic, with the possible exception that you can flag up a holiday without penalty.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
22 Jan 04

Originally posted by colleman
Time outs should be automatic, with the possible exception that you can flag up a holiday without penalty.
What is the problem? Why Automatic time outs? Are you afraid to click the skull when it comes up?

I have a game with a fellow who leaves town for 3 weeks at a time. If this were to auto-timeout I would be upset, since we agreed he can take all the time he likes.

Auto-timeout is not a good idea... get some guts, click the skull and be done with it.

P-

UK

Moves
22 Jan 04

actually, i'm not sure that is correct. if your flag falls, your opponent has to notice it and claim the game.

c

Moves
23 Jan 04

Originally posted by redlentils
actually, i'm not sure that is correct. if your flag falls, your opponent has to notice it and claim the game.
Well........ right and wrong! From the laws of chess including explanatory notes:-
"When a player oversteps the time limit, then the arbiter (RHP?) declares the game ended......"
"Consequently, both the players and the arbiter are responsible for seeing the flag drop (and not the spectators, etc.). Overstepping the time limit therefore, must be observed by the arbiter or claimed by one of the players."

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
23 Jan 04

Well........ right and wrong! From the laws of chess including explanatory notes:-
"When a player oversteps the time limit, then the arbiter (RHP?) declares the game ended......"
"Consequently, both the players and the arbiter are responsible for seeing the flag drop (and not the spectators, etc.). Overstepping the time limit therefore, must be observed by the arbiter or claimed by one of the players."
I didn’t see any rules about correspondence chess. From what I understand, as long as the game is not part of a tournament “an arbitrator” has no right to call a game over. It is up to the players record their times and make them in a timely fashion.

As I’ve said before… Auto time-outs just won’t work at this site, since a lot of people understand other people at this site have a “Real Life” outside of the chess games they play at RHP, and might not always be able to move on-time.

Time them out if you feel you should… I’ve timed people out, and I’ve also given them extra time if they need it and are wise enough to contact me and let me know what is going on.

P-

c

Moves
23 Jan 04
2 edits

i have seen blitz games where the spectators have noticed and shouted out that a flag has fallen, but the "loser" has complained that the "winner" hadn't claimed the game and the game has been replayed! (happened in North Wales too!)

I'd be against automatic timeouts. i like the new "time banks"

m

Moves
23 Jan 04

I agree with AJAXO.In both posts.It is true,That when you park your car you get timed out.So it should be.Black or white?No room for grey areas on this.

m

Moves
23 Jan 04

I was involved in a match.One of our team(spectator after his game had ended) was clock watching.He claimed time before our player.Our player did not check clock he was looking at the board.They claimed interference(well they would)I said the game ended when the flag dropped.Anything after is not part of the game.
Lyn.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 Jan 04

Originally posted by misslead
I was involved in a match.One of our team(spectator after his game had ended) was clock watching.He claimed time before our player.Our player did not check clock he was looking at the board.They claimed interference(well they would)I said the game ended when the flag dropped.Anything after is not part of the game.
Lyn.
Lyn, on behalf of the Cult of Maths I congratulate you on posting at 17:29 my time 😀!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
24 Jan 04

I think that for games played under the new timebank system, timeouts should be claimed immediately. It is no longer possible to be timed out on short notice without realizing the situation. The timebank accomodates generous holiday time and gives players ample opportunity to get their act together. All timeouts should be claimed immediately and without remorse.