1. Amsterdam
    Moves
    18 Dec '03 14:402 edits
    Hey Russ and Chris,

Do you think there could be something done about the fact that players enter tournaments while there rating is low and then appear that they play far above the tournament level?

For example, there is a 1850 player in the Zete Grand Mid tournament, a tournament that was restricted for people above 1600...and a 1313 player in the Xmas beginner tournament, that was only for people below 1150...

Can't be sure of course, but I think this is very annoying for most people.

Olav
  2. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    18 Dec '03 16:36
    hmm, this could be tricky. I've entered a Midi tourney that was capped at 1450, and have since risen (temporarily I'm sure) to 1477. Winning most of the games in the first round would push my rating even further, which means that if I do well enough to progress I will be more likely to be seen as 'too high'.

Maybe a cut off, that if you are 100+ above the maximum at the start of the next round then you don't progress, the 2nd place from your group does instead. This way people wouldn't have to resign games because they were improving but anyone who was clearly in the wrong group would be removed.

This said, tourneys can last for months, even a year+. Do we expect people not to improve over these extended periods?
  3. Joined
    27 Nov '03
    Moves
    18 Dec '03 17:12
    I have been a member for about two weeks and entered the Christmas Mid Tournament because at the time that was the only one I was allowed to enter. Since then the tournament has started and I have finished a few of my earlier games with the result that my rating has risen above the threshold.
    Would you penalise me for something over which I have no control?
    Its just one of those things that happens because everyone has to start at p1200.
    Here is an idea - Let newcomers choose the level at which they start and so remove some of the anomalies in this situation.
    I don't think there is any way to eliminate the problem altogether.
  4. Spokane, WA
    Moves
    19 Dec '03 00:26
    I think one of the reasons that player in the mid tournament is rated so high right now is because he/she has won all/most (haven't checked lately) of the tournament games. That is obviously going to be a huge hike in his rating. I did notice that before the tournament started he/she had a pretty high rating compared to when he first entered it, I think in the mid 1500's, so maybe that part could be changed- if the rating is substantially higher when the tournament starts. But a lot of it does have to do with how many games you win in the tournament you are playing.

NC
  5. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    19 Dec '03 04:36
    I think if you're below the cut-off when you joined the tournament, that's fair. If you win a few games before the start and your rate goes above the cutoff, you should still be allowed to stay in.

That being said, in the "Xmas and New Year Tournament - Beginner Level", I'm going to be playing ICTWizz. Look him up! That guy, should really be rated at 1900! His rating is only 1170 now because he stopped playing and was timed out in a bunch of games.

The cutoff was 1150. I was 1213 by the start of the tournamet. Another guy I know, was provisional when he signed up, but was over 1300 by the the start because before the tounament he beat one +1400 player.

IMHO, ICTWizz is taking candy from babies. But it should be up to him to stay or go. He may win the tournament, but I'll have more fun! I don't think anyone should be kicked out.

Russ may change the rule to say you must be below the cut-off at the *start* of the tournament, but then you might be tempted to resign a few games just to get into, or stay in, easier tournaments. You might even fool your opponents. Doesn't sound very honorable to me.
  6. Standard memberNicolaiS
    Cannabist
    's-Gravenhage
    Moves
    19 Dec '03 09:23
    Originally posted by Coletti
    I think if you're below the cut-off when you joined the tournament, that's fair. If you win a few games before the start and your rate goes above the cutoff, you should still be allowed to stay in.

That being said, in the "Xmas and New Year Tournament - Beginner Level", I'm going to be playing ICTWizz. Look him up! That guy, should really be rat ...[text shortened]... easier tournaments. You might even fool your opponents. Doesn't sound very honorable to me.
    I agree Coletti,

Because ratings change over time between signin up for a tournement and the actual start of it, there is nothing to be done about it. If a very highranked player enters a "low" tournement and beats the s..t out of his/hers opponents ... well, I couldn't be bothered less. I like to play against highranked players even if their present rank isn't high.

Most important is enjoying the game. Losing is a part of the game. And another thing is that most of the times I play better when the opponent is higher ranked ... because I hate being tossed around the board.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree