Tournaments

Standard memberlonewolf1
Help 27 Jun '06 05:08
  1. Standard memberlonewolf1
    lonewolf
    California, USA
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 05:08
    Hello all ... I am new to the site, and I am trying to learn more about the "tournament" feature of the site. Can someone tell me how are tournaments played different from regular games? Or can someone tell me where to go on the site to read about how tournaments work? Thank you in advance. -Sonny-
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 08:34
    During tournament games we play by tournament rules. So; no castling, no draws under 65 moves and a stalemate is a win for the side forcing it.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 09:211 edit
    Funny, funny...
    The same rules apply, of course, for the games in tournaments, everyone knows that but a beginner.

The only difference is that ordinary games you just win or lose or draws and the ratings are affected accordingly.
    In Tournaments you can also win the group and go to the next round. If you have what it takes you can be the winner of the Tournament.

One thing to think about is that when a tournament starts you have to deal with a whole new bunch of games at the same time. Do you have time for that? A 8-group gives you 14 new games...

Have you considered joining a clan? Or a siege?
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 09:25

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 12:53
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Hey Gav, give the guy a break. He's been on this site 5 days and I thought that his question was pretty reasonable.

Whereas you've been at CU some 500 days and you still cannot convince [b]anyone
    that you know what you're doing, let alone act like a human being.

Jesus wept. You are such an insufferable arsehole.

Michelle[/b]
    Get some new material.
  6. Standard memberlonewolf1
    lonewolf
    California, USA
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 14:16
    Thanks all for the info ... when I first read that there was no castling in a tournament, I was like WHAT??? Thanks to the rest of you, then I realized it was just a joke and had a good laugh. Good one. Is there anywhere on the site where I can go and read more about tournament rules and procedures? As far as joining a clan or a siege, I still haven't figured out what those are, although I have some idea. Right now, I am just enjoying playing the game that I love so much. Hope to get to know all of you in the future. Thanks!
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 18:101 edit
    Not sure there's much more to a tournament that you can read. You just enter, the games appear in your inbox when the tournament starts, and you play your games according to the time rules of the tournament (timeout/timebank). When all games in the first round are over (can take some time), the second round starts automatically and if you are in that the games appear in your inbox, etc.

You can follow the 'tournament' forum for gossip about the progress of tournaments.

Edit: I guess some extra info would be there are tourneys for people within a certain rating band, and also if your timebank expires the game is automatically set as a win for the opposition after a couple more days (I think).
  8. Standard memberlonewolf1
    lonewolf
    California, USA
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 19:58
    Thank you very much for the info. I just wasn't sure if there was a time limit like a regular game where you have days to complete the game, or whether you have to play the game in one sitting. You clarified that for me. I guess it's just like any other game you play on this site. Thank you very much for your help.

Now what in the world is the function of clans and sieges? And does one need to join one to play in tournaments?
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 20:031 edit
    Originally posted by lonewolf1

Now what in the world is the function of clans and sieges? And does one need to join one to play in tournaments?
    Don't know about sieges, but clans are just a group of players who play other clans in 1 vs 1 to 20 vs 20 player challenges. The winning clan gets the points and climbs up the table shown on the clans page - the more players involved in the challenge, the greater the number of points you get for a win. They are good for meeting people of a similar mindset to you, or people with similar interests (e.g. if you like football then see if you can join the football supporters clan, etc). Each clan has it's own private forum, where only the members of the clan can post and read.
  10. Standard memberlonewolf1
    lonewolf
    California, USA
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 20:07
    Elleffsee, you've been a great help. Thank you very much!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree