1. Standard memberturtlex
    Picard Is My Captain
    United States
    Moves
    27 Apr '04 15:59
    Question for Russ or anyone really -

I have a 14day timebank only Tourney where my opponent is at timeout. Has been there twice actually. I am given the option of CLAIM WIN.... However, since the tourney rules say Tournament games now time out automatically 2 days after the timeout period expires - will they automatically get timed out by the system?

Sorry, couldnt figure this one out myself.
    Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    turtlex
  2. Spokane, WA
    Moves
    27 Apr '04 16:31
    They will be automatically timed out 2 days after their time expires.

ncrosby🙂
  3. Joined
    28 Jun '01
    Moves
    27 Apr '04 17:39
    I don't think that they will be TO'd unless they still haven't moved within the 2 days before the auto TO takes effect. If you want the points, claim the TO yourself. If you wait for an auto TO, you give your opponent the opportunity to move again within those 2 days. I'm pretty sure that's how it works or at least that's how it did for me. 🙂
  4. Standard memberturtlex
    Picard Is My Captain
    United States
    Moves
    27 Apr '04 18:07
    This is where I get confused. They are completely out of TIMEBANK time, and sitting at "CLAIM WIN".

They've been there for more than a full day, and I was being a good sport and not timing them out.

Then they logged in, made a single move, I moved again - and they're back at TIMEOUT.

Color me confused. I suppose I could just take the TIMEOUT, but was wondering how the automated tourney timeout would work.

Regards,
    turtlex
  5. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    27 Apr '04 18:18
    Automatic timeouts take place after 2 days.However,if you don't claim the win and they move within those 2 days they will keep getting 2 days per move.I would think it would work different in timebank only tourneys,but apparently not.

Sir Lot.
  6. Standard memberturtlex
    Picard Is My Captain
    United States
    Moves
    28 Apr '04 10:43
    Thanks all.

Well, it sounds like this guy keeps getting two extra days.

I appreciate all your responses.

Regards,
    turtlex
  7. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    28 Apr '04 11:50
    Originally posted by turtlex
    This is where I get confused. They are completely out of TIMEBANK time, and sitting at "CLAIM WIN".
    They've been there for more than a full day, and I was being a good sport and not timing them out.
    Then they logged in, made a single move, I moved again - and they're back at TIMEOUT.
    Color me confused. I suppose I could just take the TIMEOUT, but was wondering how the automated tourney timeout would work.
    this sounds like a typical programming bug - rrrrRRRRRUUUUUUSSSSSSSsssss!!!!!!
  8. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    29 Apr '04 06:50
    Originally posted by flexmore
    this sounds like a typical programming bug - rrrrRRRRRUUUUUUSSSSSSSsssss!!!!!!
    I won't call this a bug, rather 'working as designed'. If you don't like it claim the timeout.

gg
  9. Standard memberturtlex
    Picard Is My Captain
    United States
    Moves
    03 May '04 11:511 edit
    Actually this does seem like a bit of a program bug to me.... I mean, this fellow has way more than exhausted his TIMEBANK. This was/is a 14day TIMEBANK only tourney. Since he's been at timeout (skull and all), he still logs in maybe once every two days, makes a single move and then logs out.

Perhaps I am missing the point of the TIMEBANK, but shouldnt the automatic timeout after two days apply to the total time after the TIMEBANK is exhausted? This guy's time is more than a week past the end of the timebank days.

I guess I just expected the Tourney would time him out and I wouldnt have to.
  10. UK
    Moves
    06 May '04 11:311 edit

The timebank only games do timeout automatically, as I have had it happen to me in the 40 day one.

However, I have another game going on where I am out of timebank (I have 0 days) and yet I can still move (I get the flashing red TO symbol), whereas technically I would expect the game to be over (I plan to resign when my opponent moves next because I think it is unfair.).

Actually thinking about it I've no way of knowing if they timed out automatically, or people pressed the skull button. ho-hum.
  11. London
    Moves
    07 May '04 14:52
    Actually this does seem like a bit of a program bug to me.... I mean, this fellow has way more than exhausted his TIMEBANK. This was/is a 14day TIMEBANK only tourney. Since he's been at timeout (skull and all), he still logs in maybe once every two days, makes a single move and then logs out.

Perhaps I am missing the point of the TIMEBANK, but shouldnt ...[text shortened]... timebank days.

Not really a bug. Because your opponent has run out of timebank, he qualifies for a skull as soon as you move. That's his penalty for exhausting his t/b : a noose round his neck. The RHP site leaves it to you to pull the noose, except in tournament games.

But even in tournament games the auto-timeout always waits two days before kicking in. Each time he moves, he gets a new skull, and the auto-timeout won't fire until that skull is 2 days old. In fact, I think it's a batch job, so the wait is 2 days plus the time to the next run of the auto-timeout. This means that if you won't click the skull yourself, your games have a minimum t/o of 2 days even after the timebank is gone.

The consensus might be that 2 days is too long, or maybe that the 2 days should be reckoned from when the first skull appears. The auto-timeout predates the introduction of timebanks and probably ought to be reviewed.
  12. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    07 May '04 22:30
    The more I read threads like this, and given the new timebank system, the more I am convinced that all games should be automatically timed out the very moment the timebank is exhausted.

No holiday flags, no exceptions, no arguments, no recriminations, no dilemmas. And totally fair to everyone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree