Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 27 Aug '04 21:24
    Russ

    Can you do anything about the opposing contestant in game Nos 654114 & 653977??

    I cannot bring myself to compete with someone who gives himself such a name.

    Yet I cannot opt out of a tournament.

    Am I being too 'old fashioned'??

    Alasdair Roberts
  2. 27 Aug '04 21:42
    Thanks Russ.............much appreciated!!
  3. Standard member Cribs
    Moderately Offensive
    28 Aug '04 00:56
    I request that the usernames listed below also
    be changed. Where I come from, nuts is a slang
    word for testicles.

    Thanks,
    Dr. Cribs
    ---------------------------------------------

    slapnuts
    Clagnuts
    bignuts
    peanuts
    coconuts123
    check deez nuts
    my nuts are in a sak
    thenuts
    chessnuts
    fuzzynuts
    taternuts
    stinkynuts
    dunkindonuts5
    Knutson
    rabidsquirrelnuts
    wilknuts
    stupidmonkeynuts
    bignuts2
    corn nuts
    chucknuts41
    nuts
    deeznuts
    coconuts
    donuts
    gorillanuts
    PaulieWalnuts
  4. Standard member Saint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    28 Aug '04 02:52
    I suggest that "cribs" have his name changed. In parts of the US, this is a slang negative term for a crip (gangmember) as used by it's rival gangs.

    I also suggest that the site administrators contact the Vatican to verify the sainthood of "Saint Nick". If he is not actually a saint, his use of the name could be offensive to some.

    Give me break. Nearly every word in the English langauge has multiple meanings and can be used a multitude of ways. I would say that it would be near impossible to find a username that is not offensive to someone.
    I use Saint Nick at nearly every web site I go to and for my home e-mail name. I have received complaints about it before (really!).
    Why don't we stick to names that are openly and intentionally vulgar. I had no idea that this guys name was vulgar in any way shape or form.
  5. Standard member tlai1992
    Retired knight
    28 Aug '04 02:58
    Originally posted by Saint Nick
    I suggest that "cribs" have his name changed. In parts of the US, this is a slang negative term for a crip (gangmember) as used by it's rival gangs.

    I also suggest that the site administrators contact the Vatican to verify the sainthood of "Saint Nick". If he is not actually a saint, his use of the name could be offensive to some.

    Give me break ...[text shortened]... nd intentionally vulgar. I had no idea that this guys name was vulgar in any way shape or form.
    but i agree that my nuts are in a sac could be changed i mean what the heck we know that!!!!😠
  6. Subscriber Chris
    Site Admin
    29 Aug '04 00:24 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Saint Nick
    I had no idea that this guys name was vulgar in any way shape or form.
    In Britain, you would not be allowed to say this guy's username on television before 9pm. It is a known, and openly offensive phrase, and is more than simply "slang" for the word testicles.

    It is offensive, even though it is used to mean that something is good - i.e. "Wow! That is the Mutt's Nutts! Where did you find it?".

    The word has not gained popularity in other parts of the English-speaking world, particularly America, and as such most Americans do not recognise the word as offensive.
  7. Standard member mrmist
    Moo
    29 Aug '04 10:18
    Originally posted by Cribs
    I request that the usernames listed below also
    be changed. Where I come from, nuts is a slang
    word for testicles.

    Thanks,
    Dr. Cribs
    ---------------------------------------------

    slapnuts
    Clagnuts
    bignuts
    peanuts
    coconuts123
    check deez nuts
    my nuts are in a sak
    thenuts
    chessnuts
    fuzzynuts
    taternuts
    stinkynuts
    dunkindonuts5
    Knutson
    rabids ...[text shortened]...
    bignuts2
    corn nuts
    chucknuts41
    nuts
    deeznuts
    coconuts
    donuts
    gorillanuts
    PaulieWalnuts
    This was a joke right?
  8. 29 Aug '04 10:30
    What's offensive about St. Nick's name?
    It comes from St. Nicholas, which in some parts of Europe is Santa Niclaus, and commonly shortened worldwide to Santa Claus.

    Are you perhaps thinking of "Old Nick"? This is a British slang name for Satan.
  9. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    29 Aug '04 13:48
    Saint Nick isn't the name in question.

    -Russ
  10. 29 Aug '04 14:39
    Originally posted by Russ
    Saint Nick isn't the name in question.

    -Russ
    Oops!
    Sorry guys🙄
  11. Standard member Saint Nick
    Pimp of the elves
    30 Aug '04 05:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Chrismo
    In Britain, you would not be allowed to say this guy's username on television before 9pm. It is a known, and openly offensive phrase, and is more than simply "slang" for the word testicles.

    It is offensive, even though it is used to ...[text shortened]... and as such most Americans do not recognise the word as offensive.
    Learn something new everyday. Now I know.

    James, Though not openly offensive, I have recieved complaints (not on RHP) about claiming to be a saint (by dedicated christians) and for claiming to be Santa Claus (from people that feared their children would actually think Santa was online in chat rooms, etc)
    My real name (Nichols) is a derivitive of the same name that St. Nick originated from, hence, my username.
    As Russ points out, my name was not in question. I was using as an example of a name someone could complain about that was not openly offensive to most users.
  12. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    31 Aug '04 07:42
    I have nothing aginst him/her, but there are players out there with names... PigBenis 😉
    th
  13. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    31 Aug '04 12:32
    Originally posted by sardodos
    Russ

    Can you do anything about the opposing contestant in game Nos 654114 & 653977??

    I cannot bring myself to compete with someone who gives himself such a name.

    Yet I cannot opt out of a tournament.

    Am I being too 'old fashioned'??

    Alasdair Roberts
    What the heck is wrong with "theboxdeluxe"???
  14. 31 Aug '04 12:34
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    What the heck is wrong with "theboxdeluxe"???
    Obviusly this is the name changed.
    before the name was thedogsbollox
  15. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    31 Aug '04 12:47
    Hehe, now i understand. Though i was expecting it to be much worse 🙂