1. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    27 Aug '03 11:02
    following on from thread http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?id=6423 in the general forum, there are a couple of potentially/definatly offensive user names circulating.

Is there a filter on the choice of user name? If not could we add one? Would a warning on the registration page to the effect that offensive names could result in account deleation be an idea?

If there is a filter, could it be broadened? I know this can't be easy because people can use different spellings or join words, and if the filter is too broad then many legitamate names will be blocked (for example, one that I thougth at first was he rapist is actually herapist). Could it work to have a quite broad filter that screened out all potentially offensive names, giving the applicant the option to either pick another or to wait until the name was manually checked (get volunteer mods to do this?)?

Just a few ideas. Anyone have any thoughts? I know that what is offensive and what isn't is subjective, but ape me nigga is pretty plainly not what 99% of people want to see when they log onto the site & see the most recent movers list.
  2. Standard memberHentschel
    The Prodigy Himself
    Geneva
    Moves
    27 Aug '03 11:14
    Fools will be fools. I think it better to ignore these people though, instead of making an issue out of them. Hopefully they will leave on their own accord.
  3. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    27 Aug '03 15:09
    Tricky things these filters.I tried to join FICS under the handle 'BlunderingIdiot'.No success.It appears 'idiot' isn't allowed in the name.Over at ICC it was ok,but for some reason they've got something against 'FartAttack' when they do accept 'OldFart'.Go figure ๐Ÿ˜•
    Tried to join POGO under the name 'HomoSapiens'.'Homo' wasn't allowed in the name.
    I have many of such examples.Tried a lot of names on a lot of sites๐Ÿ˜›
  4. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    27 Aug '03 23:51
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    following on from thread http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?id=6423 in the general forum, there are a couple of potentially/definatly offensive user names circulating.

Is there a filter on the choice of user name? If not could we add one? Would a warning on the registration page to the effect that offensive names could result in account ...[text shortened]... ot what 99% of people want to see when they log onto the site & see the most recent movers list.
    Computers are too stupid to censor properly. Perhaps a complaint to Russ about any name you find completely unbearably offenive would be best. In my opinion though, this should only extend to deliberately personally insulting / unquestionably offensive names. Juvenile jokey names are pretty harmless.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree