vacation icon

Standard memberFeivel
Help 09 Mar '03 18:32
  1. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 18:32
    Hey guys,

Is the vacation icon the yellow warning sign with the plane in it? I have an opponent in a tournament that just started with that icon. If it is a vacation icon, isn't it really bad form to take vacation time after 2 moves in a tournament game?

Amici Sumus

Feivel
  2. Standard memberschweigi
    Member of Gonzo Clan
    Innsbruck, Austria
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 18:43
    Well - if he is not able to reach a PC, it's his only way to show this to you ... he could have sent you a messages, but then he hed to do it to all players. Instead of this the vacation icon was introduced by Ross and Chris ...

In my first tournament in here I wanted to play very quick and now I am still waiting for the next stage to start ... so relax 😀

3. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 19:00
    I know it will take awhile but when I enter a tournament I make sure I can play. I understand not everyone has access to a PC while travelling and not everyone has a laptop. A reasonable effort to be available is part and parcel of signing up for a tournament. After all, it is players that are so quick to take time off that "hurt" the tournament for all players by lengthening the time taken to complete the tournament.

Amici Sumus

Feivel
  4. Standard memberschweigi
    Member of Gonzo Clan
    Innsbruck, Austria
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 19:02
    But when you enter a tournament, you do it one or two weeks before it starts ... and you don't know when it is going to start exactly ...
  5. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 19:10
    Yes you enter before the tournament begins but you missed one important point I posted. You are obligated to make a REASONABLE effort to play. Can you understand that vacations lengthen the tournament? Is that being "fair" or even sportsmanlike to the other players? I understand that business trips are sometimes unavoidable but to plan and take a personal vacation in the midst of a tournament is sheer folly. Anyway, my original question was "what does the vacation icon look like" and it seems you have turned this post into your own argument for vacations. Maybe you should post your views in the general forum or possibly even the tournament forum.

Amici Sumus

Feivel
  6. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 22:53
    Originally posted by Feivel
    Yes you enter before the tournament begins but you missed one important point I posted. You are obligated to make a REASONABLE effort to play. Can you understand that vacations lengthen the tournament? Is that being "fair" or even sportsmanlike to the other players? I understand that business trips are sometimes unavoidable but to plan and take a personal v ...[text shortened]... your views in the general forum or possibly even the tournament forum.

Amici Sumus

Feivel
    Whoa! A little harsh there bud! I respect the origin of this thread and your question, but please understand that the question has been answered and the thread may take another turn now. I started a thread a week ago about a topic I really wanted to discuss, and in less than a day it became something totally else. That's the way it goes. 😉
  7. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 23:241 edit
    Omnislash,

Can you please show me where my question was answered in this thread?

Amici Sumus

Feivel
  8. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 23:29
    By god, you are quite correct! No one HAS directly answered your question. My apologies. Yes, the icon with the little plane is the vacation icon. On the bottom of your games list there should be a table that explains the majority of the icons.
  9. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 23:361 edit
    Omnislash,

It's there. I just never scrolled down that far 🙂 Now feel free to take this thread to new frontiers 🙂 BTW, I saw your idea (think it was your idea) in another thread about putting your t/o rules in your profile. Good idea and I will go do it. Any recommendations on how to keep it "politacally correct."

Amici Sumus

Feivel
  10. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    09 Mar '03 23:46
    Hehe, I don't really like to term things as "politically correct". It makes me feel too much like a puppet. The best advice I could give is just to do what you do and see the response. I've made my share of "uncouth" statements and actions. Most people here are pretty easy going. For T/O I give my opponent a week to move with a few reminders before T/O becomes available. With vacationers, I think it's most polite to give them several days to move after their vacation ends. In your position with tournament play though, I can see where it's tricky. I say give the fella his vacation time, but it's good to note to all tournament players that this bad form and inconsiderate. I for one really couldn't blame you if you T/O at ANY time in a tournament. After all, look how many tounaments we've actually ever gotten finished. 😀
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '02
    Moves
    11 Mar '03 15:24
    Originally posted by Feivel
    Omnislash,

Can you please show me where my question was answered in this thread?

Amici Sumus

Feivel
    There is dual status here:
    WINGERS can put stuff up like they are on holiday.
    I will only upgrade if there is not a benifit.
    Linda.
  12. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    14 Mar '03 23:17
    Originally posted by misslead
    There is dual status here:
    WINGERS can put stuff up like they are on holiday.
    I will only upgrade if there is not a benifit.
    Linda.
    you see inequality where it doesn't exist
    we can do everything the "wingers" can
    (see "my home"-"my vacation settings&quot😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree