1. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 17:022 edits
    I haven't yet seen this in any threads on this topic, so please forgive me if it has been addressed.

I think it would be helpful to vacationers if there is a way to notify your opponents of the length of your intended vacation, and ask for agreement to prevent timeout during that period. If your opponent agrees to no timeout, then that one game cannot timeout until after the specified return date. Either player can still move during this period, it simply prevents timeout. If your opponent does not agree to no timeout during the stated vacation period, then you know you must either find access to the internet for that game or risk losing it by timeout.

This would be done separately for each game.

I don't think this solution would require much database storage (a continue timeout date for each game?). It would require a few data entry pages. I know it is some work, but I think it would make this site more friendly, and alleviate stress for tournament and clan game players.

I am about to go on vacation, and am trying to figure out the state of my games. My tournament and clan games are fine, but I have several other games with timebanks shorter than my vacation. I will stay with a relative near the middle of my vacation, and may be able to catch up on a few games, but I think it would be rude (to my hosting relative) for me to play more than a few.

2. Standard memberRavello
    The RudeĀ©
    who knows?
    Moves
    07 Jul '04 17:551 edit
    I never used it but when you raise the vacation flag,you can write a message that will be displayed in your profile page,explaining how long and the reason of your vacation.
    However you can also agree with every single opponent the timing of the game or ask to not be timeouted during your holyday.
    Hope it helps

P.S.Remember that tournament games timeout automatically after 2 days your timebank expires.
  3. UK
    Moves
    08 Jul '04 06:58
    Originally posted by Ravello
    I never used it but when you raise the vacation flag,you can write a message that will be displayed in your profile page,explaining how long and the reason of your vacation.
    However you can also agree with every single opponent the timing of the game or ask to not be timeouted during your holyday.
    Hope it helps

P.S.Remember that tournament games timeout automatically after 2 days your timebank expires.
    Seems okay, but the problem is that it could be labour intensive, and it's something that (the reciever) has no control over.

EG say I'm playing 20 games, and all 20 opponents go on vacation, then that's me having to click through and say "yes I agree" 20 times.

I'd rather they just stick the flag up with a message. I'll respect the flag (unless the other player is blatently taking the peee)
  4. Joined
    23 May '04
    Moves
    08 Jul '04 13:23
    Originally posted by mrmist
    EG say I'm playing 20 games, and all 20 opponents go on vacation, then that's me having to click through and say "yes I agree" 20 times.
    I'm playing 35 games right now, only 3 of my opponents are on vacation, and its summer. I think 20 out of 20 is unlikely. Also, if any of those are clan or tournament games, there will be pairs of games with the same opponent.

I'd rather they just stick the flag up with a message. I'll respect the flag...

It would give the vacation flag meaning against those opponents who respect vacation flags, and make it clear who won't. It seems that there are many people who don't respect vacation flags. (I learned this from reading profiles and comments in these forums, not from my experience as I have not gone on vacation yet).

Also, it would be easy to specify a configurable vacation period that you always agree to. If you specify 7 days for this, then you will only be asked about vacations longer than 7 days.

I didn't suggest the simpler solution of allowing players to set another flag saying whether they respect vacation flags, because I think that without a time limit this would be subject to abuse, and would not be agreed to generally.

Btw, don't you find the possibility of people timing you out on vacation annoying? I am using the timebank for this primarily now, but didn't realize that I shold do this until a few weeks ago (I am new on this site).
  5. UK
    Moves
    08 Jul '04 17:35
    Originally posted by zucchini
    do you find the possibility of people timing you out on vacation annoying? I am using the timebank for this primarily now, but didn't realize that I shold do this until a few weeks ago (I am new on this site).
    Nope. If I have the flag up then (I find) most people don't time out, but if they did then it is their right, as I agreed to the timeframes involved.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree