1. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 12:50
    Hi, I'm a designer and in the process of producing a new chess set. What I'd like to know is which is the most popular style of piece for online players? - mine is 'Book'.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 13:103 edits
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 13:17
    Alpha is better than Book for people with vision problems. I've played quite a lot with both.
  4. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 14:46
    I use Book, purely because it's the style I have been used to seeing in print all my life and I recognise all the pieces automatically. I feel sure that if I used one of the more obscure sets (however pretty) it would interfere greatly with my thinking.
  5. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 21:03

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 21:07
    Originally posted by Campaigner
    Hi, I'm a designer and in the process of producing a new chess set. What I'd like to know is which is the most popular style of piece for online players? - mine is 'Book'.
    After a few years utilising 'Book' ( which I think is the default setting anyway ? ), I changed briefly to 'Alpha'...but I've been more than content with my use of 'Merida', and have been so for a couple of years now...

It would be great if you could share with us some of your designs, hopefully in the near future 🙂
  7. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    03 Oct '13 22:02
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    After a few years utilising 'Book' ( which I think is the default setting anyway ? ), I changed briefly to 'Alpha'...but I've been more than content with my use of 'Merida', and have been so for a couple of years now...

It would be great if you could share with us some of your designs, hopefully in the near future 🙂
    I use book. 🙂
  8. Joined
    06 Apr '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 18:38
    Yes - 'Book' seems to be the most common! Thanks everyone for the input.
  9. Joined
    06 Feb '13
    Moves
    14 Oct '13 07:17
    Originally posted by Campaigner
    Yes - 'Book' seems to be the most common! Thanks everyone for the input.
    I like newspaper and perhaps a less intrusive version of merida would be nice. I like newspaper because the pieces are small and the board doesn't look cramped.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Oct '13 08:45
    I am also a newspaper user. If I think about it Tygert may have pointed me to that set. I tend just to take the suggestion of a site if I am playing online 😉
  11. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    14 Oct '13 13:44
    Originally posted by Tygert
    I like newspaper and perhaps a less intrusive version of merida would be nice. I like newspaper because the pieces are small and the board doesn't look cramped.
    I use 'merida', I find it ideal... but I was curious what you meant when you suggest 'a less intrusive version of merida would be nice' ? I'm just curious 🙂
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Oct '13 22:181 edit
    It's interesting that more than 91% of players use one of the four 2-dimensional outline pieces which are variants of the traditional newspaper design. Admittedly there's a "donkey vote" involved in the use of the default set, but the next 3 choices are still more heavily used than any of the 3-dimensional and exotic sets, which may look prettier but to my mind make the board position harder to see.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree