1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Aug '04 18:43
    Originally posted by mrmist
    This gets my rec.

The only value I could see in altering the vacation system would be to make it so that moves cannot be made whilst on vacation. This should discourage people from "abusing" said flag.
    Where does that leave me when I am gone for 5 weeks, and plan to make moves when I can from where I can.

I don't abuse the vacation flag, so please don't ruin it for me!

People will know just where I am, and with luck I'll be able to pop in and laugh at all you suckers from Florida and St. Maarten!!!

P- 😛
  2. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    10 Aug '04 18:461 edit
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    Simplt solved, dn't move in the weekend if you know you're going to be away two days later. People with heavy travel for their work could send a message that they are such people, so it gets taken into account when judging abuse.

W ...[text shortened]... ge if abuse is taking place. I'd volunteer the instant i could 🙂
    it sounds possible but my experience says that it's not.

What's to stop someone who's just trying to delay defeat claiming that he suddenly has a lot of business travel. How's to say that his claim isn't true?

If you think that many people here would volunteer to police the site I thinkyou should look at the abuse the forum mods get. They only hide posts that (in their judgement) violate ToS but they get abused for it to the extent that most give up the role. And all they're doing is affecting posts - the amount of abuse someone would get for deciding whether or not a game should be given as an auto win when there is no clear way of knowing if someone is truely abusing VF protection is unimaginable.
  3. Joined
    07 Apr '03
    Moves
    10 Aug '04 20:063 edits
    This gets my rec.

The only value I could see in altering the vacation system would be to make it so that moves cannot be made whilst on vacation. This should discourage people from "abusing" said flag.

Adding on to what Phlabibit said...

I just recently had computer problems and was not able to come online until 5 days later. During that time I had a friend of mine (who does not use this site) log on for me and turn my vacation sign on with a message that I would not be able to return until several days later) I came back and I had a whopping 100 or so games waiting.

Why shouldn't I be able to move in all of those games, and then turn my flag off?

If I turned my flag off as soon as I got back, then some people might time me out, because they see I am back and I hadn't moved yet. How would they know? If my flag was on, then they would know I am either still away or attending to my games. After I finished moving in all my waiting games, I turned it off. I did not use it maliciously at all.

The point is, that some honest people need it for a good reason. If some dishonest people abuse it, you still shouldn't take it away from those that need it.

Let's not forget that you can still be timed out on vacation...so those dishonest people won't do themselves any good. It will help them if we give non-timeoutable days, which I am totally against for the afformentioned reason.

Let those people do what they want, since we clearly can not devise a system to stop them; there will always be loop holes.

My vote is for the current system. It gives honest people a chance to catch up before turning the flag off.

Originally posted by belgianfreak
    What's to stop someone who's just trying to delay defeat claiming that he suddenly has a lot of business travel. How's to say that his claim isn't true?

They are trying to delay defeat, but their time will always run out in the end. Their timeout period, and timebank will always still tick. The cute little skull will still come up when they run out of timebank time. All they are hoping for is the lenience of the opponent, and that is not much at all.

Those dishonest people that I referred to before are not doing themselves any good, because the skull will still pop up once they run out of time, and the opponent can always claim it. Whether or not they want to claim it is an entirely different issue. If they don't want to claim it, then don't complain about the opponent not moving, because the win can be claimed simply by clicking the skull.

-TT
  4. UK
    Moves
    11 Aug '04 06:26
    Originally posted by TimmyToilet
    [b]This gets my rec.

Adding on to what Phlabibit said...

I just recently had computer problems and was not able to come ...[text shortened]... waiting.

Why shouldn't I be able to move in all of those games, and then turn my flag off?[/b]
    ..Being harsh, I would say that the point of the flag is to say that you are on holiday, not that you are unable to cope with the number of games that you have taken on.
  5. Joined
    07 Apr '03
    Moves
    12 Aug '04 14:58
    ..Being harsh, I would say that the point of the flag is to say that you are on holiday, not that you are unable to cope with the number of games that you have taken on.
    Ah yes, but you missed my point. The point is that once you return from holiday, that you are able to use the flag while covering all of your waiting games.

Being able to cope with the games isn't the issue since I have more waiting games when I come back from vacation than I do if I sit here and play all day (Which is what I do all day anyway 🙂)

-TT
  6. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    12 Aug '04 18:12
    I just came back from a vacation of about 15 days. Some people timed me out, others let me go. When I see a vacation flag, I forget the game until the person comes back. Not playing the persons who timed me out sounds like punishing something the rules allowed, so I don't go along with that. I just wish everybody were consistent. No matter what happens i'm not going to let RHP control my vacation plans. Maybe in the rules of agreement we insert that RHP customers swear they'll never take a vacation. Then it'll all be solved!
  7. Subscriberchris stephens
    i'll decide!
    Glasgow Scotland
    Moves
    12 Aug '04 19:11
    buddy has a point, however ive noticed that some of my opponents are now moving when they are "on vacation". i think the only way to solve this is if no-one can move whilst on vacation, and to bar someone from taking timeout wins for off people who are away. whilst you can move on vacation, people are going to justify claiming timeout victories.

so lets do both!
  8. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    12 Aug '04 20:12
    Originally posted by chris stephens
    buddy has a point, however ive noticed that some of my opponents are now moving when they are "on vacation". i think the only way to solve this is if no-one can move whilst on vacation, and to bar someone from taking timeout wins for off people who are away. whilst you can move on vacation, people are going to justify claiming timeout victories.

so lets do both!
    <sigh>
    it's not your fault, but this debate is very circular and this kind of idea has been suggested before. I'm probably going to save my standard answer so I don't have to type it every time.

If vacation flag (VF) prevented time out then people could delay games forever. How anoying would it be if your oppo could just leave your game hanging for 3 months because he got bored.
    There are other abuse possibilities. Even if VF prevented moving they could switch it off, move, then switch it on again.

It used to be the case that VF prevented moving. When it was changed so that you could I originally objected. Then it was explained to me why... one good reason is that people need a period once they return in order to move in all their games before they remove VF, or else they are likely to get timed out as soon as they remove it and before they've had time to move.

Don't take this as a diss, all ideas are appreciated. But the reason things are as they are is because no one has come up with a better solution yet. Give timebank a chance, it's an inspired idea.
  9. Joined
    07 Apr '03
    Moves
    12 Aug '04 21:22
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    <sigh>
    it's not your fault, but this debate is very circular and this kind of idea has been suggested before. I'm probably going to save my standard answer so I don't have to type it every time.

If vacation flag (VF) prevented time out then people could delay games forever. How anoying would it be if your oppo could just leave your game hanging ...[text shortened]... no one has come up with a better solution yet. Give timebank a chance, it's an inspired idea.
    I personally don't think there is a better solution

-TT
  10. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    13 Aug '04 09:242 edits
    Originally posted by TheMaster37
    A simple message to all opponents is easily done.
    As far as I'm concerned, your argument fell down right here. I only have about 30 games going at the moment but I shudder at the thought of mailing them all, plus potentially any clans or tournaments that might start in my absence. And there are people here with HUNDREDS of games going at once.

Vacation flag works just fine as it is for me. I see one of my opponents has the flag on, I click on it to see the information about how long they think they'll be gone. Easy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree