1. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 18:591 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    It has been talked about before and having 'Game Refs' really isn't much of an option for a site that generates hundreds of games a day. We're at the mercy of the software to decide when a game has gone 3 rep or 50 move rule.

We also are at the mercy of users to accept a draw in a game with inadequate mating material. If we have a problem with a user who won't accept, we can add them to our ignore list and not worry about playing them anymore. That's as close to a solution we can get I am afraid.

If I had gotten another 15 rating points in the 40th game I played here at RHP, would my rating be any different than it is now? Not by much, I am sure. I would have just lost more points in the next lost game, or gained fewer in the next won game. Rating is there to show others what level we play at, it's not a trophy.

P-

You misunderstood me. I am not in favour of refs. I personally don't care much about if someone makes me play the game out to the bitter end. And if I gain a few point less, or loose a few more, I don't care.

I only meant to say that English Tal reaction is a little bit too much. Necojones didn't need punishment as English Tal suggest, because he did not do anything wrong.

He just needs to learn to have a little bit of patient with these kind of chess players at RHP that use these tactics.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 19:162 edits
    Originally posted by adje
    You misunderstood me. I am not in favour of refs. I personally don't care much about if someone makes me play the game out to the bitter end. And if I gain a few point less, or loose a few more, I don't care.

I only meant to say that English Tal reaction is a little bit too much. Necojones didn't need punishment as English Tal suggest, because he did not do ...[text shortened]... have a little bit of patient with these kind of chess players at RHP that use these tactics.
    No one should have used the words threat or punishment over this situation. Perhaps English Tal was making as ridiculous a statement as the Necojones for affect.

This is public forum, and Necojones has made a statement that a rule was broken and it is a punishable offense. That simply isn't the case.

I also just wanted to clear the air on Game Refs in case it the topic was going to be bounced around. Somewhere out there is a thread on the subject.

P-
  3. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 19:24
    ok, understood :-)
  4. Joined
    05 Apr '04
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 19:37
    Originally posted by Necojones
    lol. games are designed with rules for a purpose. If the players don't want to follow them, you say punish the people who remind them of that? That's like giving a referee a penatly for giving a penalty. You should think before you respond.
    Mate was still possible, and accordingly the site allowed the game to continue. Your opponent was therefore playing within the rules. The only rule broken was by you - please refer to the terms of service listed here, under section 3(c)

http://www.redhotpawn.com/myhome/termsofservice.php

Your analagy is therefore void (as well probably the worse analagy I've ever seen)
  5. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '08 20:10
    Originally posted by adje
    If someone deliberatly refuses to accept the draw and only keeps on moving because he hopes that the rating difference will get less and he loses less point, that in my opinion is sort of abuse.

In a tournament you can ask the referee to declare a draw. In the same manner the 'threat' was meant I think, so nothing to get upset about. No one spoke about punis ...[text shortened]... he just said that he was going to send feedback. And that is allowed to everyone, rightly so.
    Read what was said... properly... before you reply with such nonsense.
  6. Joined
    15 Feb '06
    Moves
    11 Feb '08 19:33
    Hello Gentlemen. I'm Necojones's opponent in the game that initialized this thread. The game ID is 4401685 and I didn't break any of the rules of the site. 😛
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    11 Feb '08 20:141 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree