1. Joined
    03 Nov '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 18:20
    I didn't think there was much room for luck in chess before, but then my opponent fell into a trap that I didn't know I had set. (His queen took a pawn that lead to big problems for him, but when I moved the pawn I hadn't even realized that his queen could take it).
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 19:401 edit
    Originally posted by Jasen777
    I didn't think there was much room for luck in chess before, but then my opponent fell into a trap that I didn't know I had set. (His queen took a pawn that lead to big problems for him, but when I moved the pawn I hadn't even realized that his queen could take it).
    A lot of chess players think that there is no place for luck in a chess game. I strongly disagree ; User 22093
  3. Earth
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 21:14
    Luck is for the ill-prepared.
  4. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 21:35
    Every Little Helps
  5. washington
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 21:36
    There is no luck in chess. Luck refers to chance. Chess isn't about chance, because each player picks his moves and can see the moves to come with no variables that are changing. My philosophy is.. Say you are playing Gary Kasparov, Bobby Fisher, Borris Spassky etc etc would you tell them good luck in a game? There is absolutly no luck in chess!! If that were true then a 1500 player could beat a 2400 rated player. When have you seen a 1500 player beat a GM? HMM How about never!! When I am told good luck I usually laugh. Had I been playing a game of poker I would say good luck back. After all this is why 6000 people showed up for the world championship of poker and why only a handfull of people sign up to play at a world chess tournament. I mean when was the last time an 1800 player won the world championship? Hey chris moneymaker won the poker world championship and he wasn't a pro. The odds may have been against him, but through luck and talent he prevailed.
  6. Joined
    03 Nov '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 21:44
    No one is saying it's as much luck as poker.
  7. washington
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 21:49
    I'm saying there is no luck at all.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 21:50
    That's not luck. That's your opponent making a bad move. I agree with Kmac. There is no "chance" in chess. There's no luck of the draw and no randomness in the rules. You can be "lucky" in that your opponent has a bad day or makes a bad move, but that's your opponent playing badly, not your good "luck" in the game.
  9. Joined
    03 Nov '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 22:35
    But he made a bad move, after I made a good move by accident.
  10. washington
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 23:03
    a bad move on accident is also known as a blunder or mistake. That is due to human error not luck. In every chess game that is not drawn there is an error. Does that mean every game I win, I win due to luck? I find that games I have won I have not made as lethal mistakes as my opponent. Its that simple. If a lower rated player beats me it is due to the fact that I made a mistake. They did not get lucky, they just played better than me believe it or not. I've lost to several 1300-1500 players while being 1700 and 1800.
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 23:16
    Originally posted by kmac27
    I'm saying there is no luck at all.
    there more I practice, the luckier I get.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 23:19
    Originally posted by kmac27
    a bad move on accident is also known as a blunder or mistake. That is due to human error not luck. In every chess game that is not drawn there is an error. Does that mean every game I win, I win due to luck? I find that games I have won I have not made as lethal mistakes as my opponent. Its that simple. If a lower rated player beats me it is due to the fact t ...[text shortened]... er than me believe it or not. I've lost to several 1300-1500 players while being 1700 and 1800.
    And what is a good move by accident known as?

_ _ C _
  13. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 23:37
    Originally posted by wormwood
    there more I practice, the luckier I get.
    "If you wait for luck to turn up, life becomes very boring." - Mikhail Tal
  14. Hollow earth
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 23:39
    Originally posted by Palynka
    And what is a good move by accident known as?

_ _ C _
    It is known as a good move.
  15. washington
    Moves
    27 Nov '08 23:48
    its also known as !

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree