1. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 13:57
    Which one is your favourite chess quote?

Here are some of mine:

“The Pin is mightier than the sword”
    (Fred Reinfeld)

“The blunders are all there on the board, waiting to be made”
    (Savielly Tartakover)

“There are two types of sacrifices: correct ones and mine”
    (Mikhail Tal)
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 14:09
    It's the fault of the chess players themselves. I don't know what they used to be, but now they're not the most gentlemanly group. When it was a game played by the aristocrats it had more like you know dignity to it. When they used to have the clubs, like no women were allowed and everybody went in dressed in a suit, a tie, like gentlemen, you know. Now, kids come running in their sneakers. Even in the best chess club-and they got women in there. It's a social place and people are making noise, it's a madhouse." -- Bobby Fischer
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 14:12
    "Chess is a sea in which a gnat may drink and an elephant may bathe."

Probably not an "ancient Indian proverb", but great wherever it came from.
  4. e4
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 14:13
    "Before the Endgame the God's have placed the Middle game." Tarrasch.
  5. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 14:21
    "I object to being called a chess genius, because I consider myself to be an all around genius, who just happens to play chess, which is rather different."

-Fischer
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 14:39
    The choise of the opening structure quite often determines the whole character of the ensuing struggle after only the first two or three moves

Boris Shashin
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 14:46
    i don't know who said it, nor do i think it is necessarily true, but i like it

'when the strategist meets the tactician, the strategist better be wearing a safety belt!
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 14:57
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i don't know who said it, nor do i think it is necessarily true, but i like it

'when the strategist meets the tactician, the strategist better be wearing a safety belt!
    Oh, the British School again😵
  9. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 14:58
    Believe in your own abilities and have the confidence to face up to challenges

John Nunn
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 14:59
    Originally posted by randolph
    "I object to being called a chess genius, because I consider myself to be an all around genius, who just happens to play chess, which is rather different."

-Fischer
    The whole quote gives a better idea of the state of Fischer's mind at the time (2001):

"I object to being called a chess genius, because I consider myself to be an all around genius, who just happens to play chess, which is rather different. A piece of garbage like Kasparov might be called a chess genius, but he is like an idiot savant. Outside of chess he knows nothing. He and Karpov are criminals who have been ruining chess with immoral, unethical, pre-arranged games. They are the lowest dogs around."
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 15:08
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Oh, the British School again😵
    LOL, yes, of which Fat Lady and Greenpawn are expert exponents, not like us refined and gentlemanly scholars of the East! 😉
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 15:141 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    The whole quote gives a better idea of the state of Fischer's mind at the time (2001):

"I object to being called a chess genius, because I consider myself to be an all around genius, who just happens to play chess, which is rather different. A piece of garbage like Kasparov might be called a chess genius, but he is like an idiot savant. Outside of chess ...[text shortened]... ruining chess with immoral, unethical, pre-arranged games. They are the lowest dogs around."
    i do not think that his statements are without substance Fat Lady, for example, there is documentation that exists, showing Kasparov's fees for playing sims in private chess clubs, but that he should play no one over the rating of 1900, this was contractual, its this type of manipulation which he construes as a lack of honesty and integrity, which Fischer objected to! i am sure there are other examples as well, for as you are aware, chess to him was truth, and any sullied treatment of the immortal game, any hint at corruption or lack of honesty was incredibly offensive. I think we must respect him for this, don't you?
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 15:17
    LOL, yes, of which Fat Lady and Greenpawn are expert exponents, not like us refined and gentlemanly scholars of the East! 😉
    I know that you Scots and Brits are crazy wi them tactics -but you are able to revolve your combinations solely when your opponent permits you to revolve them.
    When you have to cope with situations at which the pattern means still nothing you have to use Strategy in order to bring up a pattern that does means something. Therefore tactics are OK solely when there are the chances to revolve them, and Strategy is the means that you are obliged to use in order to set up the proper conditions required for your tactics😵
  14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 15:17
    No method of opening is harmless if one is ignorant of it

Drazen Marovic
  15. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 15:46
    i do not think that his statements are without substance Fat Lady, for example, there is documentation that exists, showing Kasparov's fees for playing sims in private chess clubs, but that he should play no one over the rating of 1900, this was contractual, its this type of manipulation which he construes as a lack of honesty and integrity, which Fi ...[text shortened]... or lack of honesty was incredibly offensive. I think we must respect him for this, don't you?
    He was saying Karpov & Kasparov pre-arranged their games. You're saying he was objecting to Gazza's simul arrangements. Rather revisionist I'm afraid.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree