1. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 15:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ... chess to him was truth, and any sullied treatment of the immortal game, any hint at corruption or lack of honesty was incredibly offensive. I think we must respect him for this, don't you?
    I would suggest the evidence indicates that for Fischer chess was about getting his own way. Anything that got in front of that was offensive to him.

Great player deluded fool though he was in other areas of life.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 16:08
    It's the fault of the chess players themselves. I don't know what they used to be, but now they're not the most gentlemanly group. When it was a game played by the aristocrats it had more like you know dignity to it. When they used to have the clubs, like no women were allowed and everybody went in dressed in a suit, a tie, like gentlemen, you know. ...[text shortened]... there. It's a social place and people are making noise, it's a madhouse." -- Bobby Fischer
    what are you, an old Nazi father?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 16:091 edit
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    He was saying Karpov & Kasparov pre-arranged their games. You're saying he was objecting to Gazza's simul arrangements. Rather revisionist I'm afraid.
    whether its revisionist or otherwise is neither here nor there, to Fischer they were unethical, immoral and were prearranging games, this, as has been clearly stated, was offensive to the great one and against everything he stood for, are you denying that they were, immoral, unethical and that they did not prearranged games?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 16:132 edits
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    what are you, an old Nazi father?
    no actually, Im an imperialist, na only kidding, a romantic really, i harp back to the days when gentlemen were gentlemen, a mans word was his bond, any dishonor would be met with a gauntlet thrown down, pistols at dawn, when the English played fairly and anything else was not cricket! ahhh, the Empire!
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 16:161 edit
    I would suggest the evidence indicates that for Fischer chess was about getting his own way. Anything that got in front of that was offensive to him.

Great player deluded fool though he was in other areas of life.
    Chess owes Fischer big time!
  6. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 16:24
    "When you absolutely don't know what to do anymore, it is time to panic." - John van der Wiel

"We like to think." - Kasparov,when asked why he and Karpov get into time trouble so often.

“The winner of the game is the player who makes the next-to-last mistake” - Tartakower

“Some part of a mistake is always correct” - Tartakower
  7. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 17:20
    whether its revisionist or otherwise is neither here nor there, to Fischer they were unethical, immoral and were prearranging games, this, as has been clearly stated, was offensive to the great one and against everything he stood for, are you denying that they were, immoral, unethical and that they did not prearranged games?
    I'm saying You're the revisionist one not Fischer.

Are you saying you agree with him when he said the Kasparov - Karpov matches were pre-arranged?
  8. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 17:22
    Chess owes Fischer big time!
    Actually i agree with that - doesn't stop him being a loon though.

PS:

on the subject of quotes, I really like "Best by test" as an annotation to 1. e4 (or 1 P-K4 as he wrote).

I particularly like it because he ended up switching away from king's pawn openings, some of the time, to win the world championship - and thus proving how inexhaustable chess is.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 17:27
    I'm saying You're the revisionist one not Fischer.

Are you saying you agree with him when he said the Kasparov - Karpov matches were pre-arranged?
    i don't know, nor have I anyway of ever finding out, it is rather suspicious though that the Soviet authorities had to intervene in the games! Why should that be the case?
  10. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 17:29
    i don't know, nor have I anyway of ever finding out, it is rather suspicious though that the Soviet authorities had to intervene in the games! Why should that be the case?
    1984. Very probably to save Karpov.

And the rest?

Go away and learn some chess history then come back.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 17:331 edit
    1984. Very probably to save Karpov.

And the rest?

Go away and learn some chess history then come back.
    very probably to save Karpov?

Well that just reeks to the high heavens of moral, upright and sporting behavior, no wonder ol Bobby was so irate, and any more from you and i will saddle my horse, ride down to London post haste, smack you about the face with my glove and demand that you meet me at Golders green for a duel for such a dishonor, really, i dunno...
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 17:461 edit
    no actually, Im an imperialist, na only kidding, a romantic really, i harp back to the days when gentlemen were gentlemen, a mans word was his bond, any dishonor would be met with a gauntlet thrown down, pistols at dawn, when the English played fairly and anything else was not cricket! ahhh, the Empire!
    yeah, all that crap and a sexist. all it takes to be a "gentleman."
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 17:50
    Originally posted by black beetle
    No method of opening is harmless if one is ignorant of it

Drazen Marovic
    O that is wonderful

Thought I had read Everything Marovic has written
    (Understanding Pawn Play in Chess, Dynamic Pawn Play in Chess, Play the Queen's Gambit, An Opening Repertoire for Black, An Active Repertoire for Black, Secrets of Positional Chess, Secrets of Chess Transformations)
    but overlooked that treasure --Thank you, black beetle!

Now here is a passage from Liverpool master Gerald Abrahams.

He speaks of how you do not necessarily think up a new idea -- you hunt for ideas that already exist, and the hunting is like hunting in a forest.

He writes that you find features that escape the expectation and therefore the observation (by both players), in the terrain itself -- or in the position itself.

For the hunter, it represents the capacity to recognize in the distance a hill, or a river, for example, or to distinguish these features in a crowded foreground.

And for the chessplayer:

"Ideas inhabit the Chessboard, to be seen or missed, as animals inhabit the forest."

14. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 18:53
    Originally posted by Shamash
    O that is wonderful

Thought I had read Everything Marovic has written
    (Understanding Pawn Play in Chess, Dynamic Pawn Play in Chess, Play the Queen's Gambit, An Opening Repertoire for Black, An Active Repertoire for Black, Secrets of Positional Chess, Secrets of Chess Transformations)
    but overlooked that treasure --Thank you, black beetle!

Now here ...[text shortened]...
    "Ideas inhabit the Chessboard, to be seen or missed, as animals inhabit the forest."

I bow🙂
  15. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '09 19:02
    Anyone have the exact quote running along the lines of
    Playing chess is the sign of a life well spent, being good at chess is the sign of a life well wasted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree