1. Pepperland
    Moves
    02 May '09 12:44
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8030223.stm

Brazilian police and soldiers have begun an operation to remove non-indigenous residents from an Indian reservation in northern Brazil.

The operation follows a landmark ruling by the country's Supreme Court that the Raposa Serra do Sol reservation should be solely for indigenous people.

The non-indigenous rice farmers and farm workers say they are victims of "legalised robbery".

The decision was hailed as a major victory for indigenous rights, and was also regarded as setting an important precedent for future court cases.

However, the ruling was also a defeat for the non-indigenous rice producers and farm workers who lived and worked in the area, and who said their removal would undermine the economy of Roraima.

As this sensitive operation was getting underway, the governor of Roraima, Jose de Anchieta Jr, was accused of racism by the state agency which looks after indigenous rights.

The governor said the federal government had not provided sufficient resources for the local indigenous population to live in the reservation, which he said had unfortunately been turned into a "human zoo."
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '09 12:45
    Originally posted by generalissimo

Brazilian police and soldiers have begun an operation to remove non-indigenous residents from an Indian reservation in northern Brazil.

The operation follows a landmark ruling by the country's Supreme Court that the Raposa Serra do Sol reservation should be solely for indigenous people.

T ...[text shortened]... to live in the reservation, which he said had unfortunately been turned into a "human zoo."
    "Legalised robbery" is an oxymoron.
  3. Pepperland
    Moves
    02 May '09 12:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    not to the brazilian federal justice.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 May '09 12:54
    not to the brazilian federal justice.
    "Legalised robbery" is an oxymoron to everyone in whatever situation, as long as those two words are used as a collocation.
  5. Pepperland
    Moves
    02 May '09 13:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Legalised robbery" is an oxymoron to everyone in whatever situation, as long as those two words are used as a collocation.
    well, thats what they're doing.

they're moving people out of their houses.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 May '09 13:55
    well, thats what they're doing.

they're moving people out of their houses.
    You are sure that this is not a posting about what Israelii do to the Palestinians?
    I'm not sure that this is true but I've heard that in the Hebrew language there are 17 different words with this meaning, and 93 word for Palestinian, all pejoratives.
  7. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 May '09 13:58

T ...[text shortened]... to live in the reservation, which he said had unfortunately been turned into a "human zoo."
    I'm wondering, how did these non-indigenous people acquire land in reservations that were reserved for the indigenous population. And when did they do this ?
  8. Pepperland
    Moves
    02 May '09 18:051 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You are sure that this is not a posting about what Israelii do to the Palestinians?
    I'm not sure that this is true but I've heard that in the Hebrew language there are 17 different words with this meaning, and 93 word for Palestinian, all pejoratives.
    The issue in Brazil is totally different, but then again, it doesn't surprise that you're ignorant about the subject discussed.
  9. Pepperland
    Moves
    02 May '09 18:071 edit
    Originally posted by Barts
    I'm wondering, how did these non-indigenous people acquire land in reservations that were reserved for the indigenous population. And when did they do this ?

There shouldn't be areas reserved for a certain ethinic group.
    Some families living there were there for generations.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 May '09 01:04
    Some families living there were there for generations.
    I haven't heard you complaining about indigenous people being seemingly consigned to shanty towns and slums on the outskirts of Brazillian cities. Some indigenous families have been living there were there for generations.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 May '09 02:09
    [b]I'm wondering, how did these non-indigenous people acquire land in reservations that were reserved for the indigenous population. And when did they do this ?

Some families living there were there for generations.[/b]
    There were people living in all of Brazil for generations before those peoples' ancestors moved in.

I've always been highly suspicious of the idea that just because people have lived in a certain place for a few generations they have a right to the land. Why? Because it justifies the Nazi/Israeli mindset - use violence to hold land for a while and it becomes ok to the rest of the world.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 May '09 02:531 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

If you're not sure if it's true, why do you repeat this inflammatory rubbish? Where did you find it? Some neo-Nazi website?

And, what does that have to do with this thread anyway?

Oh, and in case you're really interested... it's not true.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 May '09 02:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not necessarily. It could be legal in one place and illegal in another.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 May '09 03:09
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Not necessarily. It could be legal in one place and illegal in another.
    I was talking linguistically. In which case it is clearly an oxymoron.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 May '09 03:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was talking linguistically. In which case it is clearly an oxymoron.
    I was also talking linguistically, and while you may be right, I am not convinced.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree