1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 09:47
    The ladders have been organised by player rating, but from now on everyone must start at the bottom.

Head on over to create your opening challenge.

Ladders
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 12:472 edits
    So you can only challenge up 10 spots on the ladder?

On the ladder I'm on (yes, I only joined one, I'm not a masochist), that's only 20 ratings points, although I suppose over time, the ratings will basically be meaningless.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 13:111 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne

On the ladder I'm on (yes, I only joined one, I'm not a masochist), that's only 20 ratings points, although I suppose over time, the ratings will basically be meaningless.
    Someone two rungs below challenged me, in no time at all we're now 8 rungs apart - and we've only played a few moves ... since one game can change your rating by 30 points, they'd have to be meaningless wouldn't they?

Not sure that counting rungs is the way to go, perhaps it should be 10 or 20 rating points.
  4. Mosfellsbær, Iceland
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 14:29
    Russ,

I love it. I think the system you have in place is going to be fantastic. I was most excited that this will only add 2 more games to my queue. I was a little worried that I'd have to defend against 10 different challenges at a time.

Don't change a thing. I'm excited to see how it all plays out over the next few months.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 15:27
    I have to admit, there are quite a few unknowns regarding how this will play out, so there may be tweaks to come, but for now, let’s see what happens!
  6. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 19:56

I think you are missing the point. The ratings are already meaningless (for the ladder). Its about climbing to a higher ladder position.
  7. Standard memberBIGWAD
    bloody hell
    feeding the chimps..
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 20:31
    I like it but my concern is that if someone who challenges you or you've challenged doesn't move regularly you will lose places in the ladder that isn't actual your doing.
    Not sure how to sort this but maybe you can say?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 20:47
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    I think you are missing the point. The ratings are already meaningless (for the ladder). Its about climbing to a higher ladder position.
    Yes, well, my main question was... you can only challenge up 10 spots higher than you?
  9. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 22:05
    Is there a way to have a stat that shows how often a player moves on average in their ladder
    games? With a maximum of one challenge at any given time, part of my strategy would be to
    challenge a faster moving player even if it might be only a rung or two above me. This way you
    might get more opportunities to move up the rungs instead of getting stuck with slow joe for 2
    months (even in the 1-day ladder if slow joe only moves once per day) while faster moving
    players are flying by me. Just a thought - I'll see everything goes now that we're started, this
    might not make a bit of difference as everyone has just as much chance getting stuck with slow joe.
  10. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 22:43
    Yes, well, my main question was... you can only challenge up 10 spots higher than you?
    "One game you initiate by challenging a player within 10 places above you, and the other when challenged by a player below you on the ladder."

Looks like it😉 However, when that 10th player is unavailable because he/she is already challenged you would have to wait, or challenge another player (within 9 places above you).
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 23:53
    Originally posted by zozozozo
    "One game you initiate by challenging a player within 10 places above you, and the other when challenged by a player below you on the ladder."

Looks like it😉 However, when that 10th player is unavailable because he/she is already challenged you would have to wait, or challenge another player (within 9 places above you).
    I have 2 games going in one ladder, but if I didn't I wouldn't be able to play, there are no vacant spots in the 10 lines above me and only two below me - and those two have nobody to challenge either ... I guess it's too early to tell because of the initial flurry of activity, but it isn't going to be a quick run up the ladder no matter how brilliantly you play.
  12. Joined
    20 Jun '03
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 00:30
    It is going to be fascinating. Just one point of clarification. If I win a game I go one place above the opponent in their current position. So, if my opponent drops places I could finish up in a lower position overall even though I have won my game. Or does current position mean position at the start of the game?
  13. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 08:38
    Originally posted by jayaitch
    It is going to be fascinating. Just one point of clarification. If I win a game I go one place above the opponent in their current position. So, if my opponent drops places I could finish up in a lower position overall even though I have won my game. Or does current position mean position at the start of the game?
    Should you win, you will be positioned above your opponent's current position. If your opponent has won their own challenge before your game completes, you will benefit from their improved position when you are placed.

I expect current position to mean the position your opponent is in when the game finishes. If you would drop in position while winning a game your opponent would have to lose (defending) games while you were playing with him/her. Which is impossible since you can only be challenged once.
  14. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 09:04
    Maybe im stupid (ok, scrap the maybe), but i dont understand one thing.
    Lets say im in position 10 and im challenging the person in position 2. The game ends very fast, i win (ofcourse), and no other games finish, so all the other positions remain the same.
    Because I won i will be positioned above players 2 current position (which is still position 2). That means im in position 1! So my question; what happens to the person who used to be in position 1? He didnt lose any game, but position 1 isnt available anymore. Does he get position 0? -1? Start from the bottom? Do we share position 1?
  15. UK
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 10:39
    Surely you'd go into position 2 in this eventuality, not position 1.

When you overtake someone who's 2nd in a race, you go 2nd, not 1st.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree