1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 17:521 edit
    After the earthquake in Haiti, the canadian gov't announced it will match dollar for dollar all the money that canadians donate privately (to a max of 50 Million).

This seems like a good idea except for one, glaring issue....

Where did the Canadian government get this money from? From the taxpayers! The canadian gov't is saying. Okay taxpayers, you give money to haiti and then we'll take the same amount of money from your pocket and give it to haiti.

No way I say.

Governments shouldn't make donations. It should all be left up to the taxpayer to give privately. The gov should tell its people how much is needed and if the people don't donate enough privately, the ok fine, the gov should step in and top up the amount (thereby forcing its citizens to donate)

But this "dollar for dollar" idea is a sham. Its sounds good but people seem to forget where the money comes from in the first place!
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 18:33
    Originally posted by uzless
    After the earthquake in Haiti, the canadian gov't announced it will match dollar for dollar all the money that canadians donate privately (to a max of 50 Million).

Where did the Canadian government get this money from? From the taxpayers! The canadian gov't is saying. Okay taxpayers, you g ...[text shortened]... Its sounds good but people seem to forget where the money comes from in the first place!
    Taxes are the price of civilization. The Canadian goverment spending $50 Million of its revenue on aid to Haiti is civilized. Canadian people donating another $50 Million in aid to Haiti is civilized. The rapid summoning up of $100 Million in aid for Haiti is civilized. More aid would be even better.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 18:38

Where did the Canadian government get this money from? From the taxpayers! The canadian gov't is saying. Okay taxpayers, you g ...[text shortened]... Its sounds good but people seem to forget where the money comes from in the first place!
    Jesus, right wingers will bitch about anything.

If you don't like the Canadian government spending public money to help alleviate the terrible suffering of the Haitian people, vote in a government of heartless SOBs like yourself.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 19:14
    Canadian's money is better spent helping Haitians than funding baby seal clubbing.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 19:29
    Originally posted by no1marauder

If you don't like the Canadian government spending public money to help alleviate the terrible suffering of the Haitian people, vote in a government of heartless SOBs like yourself.
    ha, i am no right winger.

I guess you missed the part where I said the government should tell its citizens how much money is needed and if the citizens don't cough it up, then the gov should step in an use the money it collected from its citizens through taxes and donate the money.

You missed the point of my rant entirely, just like the person above you did.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 19:34
    You missed the point of my rant entirely, just like the person above you did.
    Your rant was only semi coherent - and now you've explained it - it just seems facile.
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 21:181 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your rant was only semi coherent - and now you've explained it - it just seems facile.
    your rebuttle is weak and empty. I repeated almost verbatim what I said in the first post. It's not my fault you need to read something twice in order to understand it. Next time try a ruler and read line by line....

zero counter arguments, zero thought, zero substance.

It's easy to criticize, it's harder to come up with an alternative and present your argument.

Things you say are called "opinions"
    Things I say are called "Facts"

😞
  8. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 21:33
    your rebuttle is weak and empty. I repeated almost verbatim what I said in the first post. It's not my fault you need to read something twice in order to understand it. Next time try a ruler and read line by line....

zero counter arguments, zero thought, zero substance.

It's easy to criticize, it's harder to come up with an alternative and present ...[text shortened]... argument.

Things you say are called "opinions"

😞

You misspelled "Farts"

GRANNY.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '10 22:541 edit

Where did the Canadian government get this money from? From the taxpayers! The canadian gov't is saying. Okay taxpayers, you g Its sounds good but people seem to forget where the money comes from in the first place!
    but who knows how much money is needed? And if the Canadian government is going to eventually cover all the costs anyway, why would any individual make a donation?

The government should donate whatever it sees fit. Private donors should donate whatever they see fit. The sum donated by one shouldn't depend on the other.

If the government donates too much (or too little), the voters can make their voices heard on election day.
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 00:01
    Originally posted by no1marauder

uzless a rightwinger?!?!
  11. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 00:02

it'd mean more if the government deducted their $50M from the pay of federal employees.

a gesture from the heart.
  12. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 01:50

Welcome to my world. Although spending money for humanitairn aide does not bother me. We must leave this earth, knowing we did something that helped mankind.
    It's the rockets to the moon to check for water, at around 2million. Building a Ted Kennedy memorial at a period in time when we can least afford it.
    Paying a state 300 million for a vote on healthcare......... now that eats at me some nights.
    Say, how much tax do you pay for a six pack of beer? Any idea?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 14:27
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    Welcome to my world. Although spending money for humanitairn aide does not bother me. We must leave this earth, knowing we did something that helped mankind.
    It's the rockets to the moon to check for water, at around 2million. Building a Ted Kennedy memorial at a period in time when we can least afford it.
    Paying a state 300 million for a vote on health ...[text shortened]... ow that eats at me some nights.
    Say, how much tax do you pay for a six pack of beer? Any idea?
    Well, the rocketmen actually DID leave earth a better place. We now know more about the perils of the universe at large because of them and countless thousands of other space workers ( I did my bit) and it is money well spent. We can now devise and implement space systems to defend against asteroids slamming into our planet which happens on a regular basis (see Tunguska if you don't believe it's a real threat).
    So there are all kinds of people doing good work. If governments do not lead in the hopeless situation in Haiti, the actual help will be much lower.
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Jan '10 17:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well, the rocketmen actually DID leave earth a better place. We now know more about the perils of the universe at large because of them and countless thousands of other space workers ( I did my bit) and it is money well spent. We can now devise and implement space systems to defend against asteroids slamming into our planet which happens on a regular basis ...[text shortened]... overnments do not lead in the hopeless situation in Haiti, the actual help will be much lower.
    Thread 124627
  15. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    16 Jan '10 01:20

Like all forced welfare this just discourages genuine philanthropy.

Give a dollar and the guvamint will take another dollar from you?

The promotion of an uncaring, uncivilised society.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree