1. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 19:26
    At present all new Club members are granted a p1200 rating.

This can affect the issue of "banded club tournaments" where a true 1800 rated player has a Club rating of say 1250.

If you start a banded tournament for those rated 1200-1500 then the 1800 rated player can enter because they are Club rated at 1250.

Would it not be better if the initial "p" rating was based on the players actual rating rounded down to the nearest 100. The "p" could be then be ignored.

A new member who joins at a rating of 1648 would be granted a Club rating of 1600.

It takes too long to reach your true rating within the club, we have several members with 80+ games played and their club rating is still 200+ points lower than their true ability.

For existing members it shouldn't be too difficult to amend their rating by adding/subtracting the extra points between the p1200 rating given and their actual rating when they joined the club and then upgrading the Club games played by the players.
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 20:57
    I take your point & rec'd although club ratings tend to differ to site ratings so a % of site rating may be wiser
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    11 Sep '10 22:25
    It would also be nice if we could offer banded tournaments.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 06:41
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Would it not be better if the initial "p" rating was based on the players actual rating rounded down to the nearest 100. The "p" could be then be ignored.

It takes too long to reach your true rating within the club, we have several members with 80+ games played and their club rating is still 200+ points lower than their true ability.
    How do we know "true ability" and "actual rating" and set a rating based on that?
  5. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    12 Sep '10 14:59
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    How do we know "true ability" and "actual rating" and set a rating based on that?
    If you are rated 2200+ on the site then I see no reason why you shoud not have a similar rating when you join a club, rather than start you off as a P1200 club player.
  6. Joined
    09 Apr '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 16:29
    On a related matter, I still remain totally confused as to the meaning of the Top 5 rated club members that you see on the home page of any club.

You always see some new guy who still has a p1200 rating and has only played like 1 or 2 games in the club appearing as a top 5 member.

I've had this explained to me before that it's based on opponents club ratings that they played and won against. The idea being that if this guy played someone with a club rating of 1400 and he beat him, that he would be given more credit than someone who has played 4 club games against guys who only had a p1200 rating in the club.

However, even with this explanation I have found plenty of examples of somebody who has a club rating of p1200 and has played only 1 club game against another guy who was just p1200 coming up as one of the top 5 club players when there are plenty of other club members with ratings like 1450 (no p even).

That top 5 list makes no sense to me in how it comes up with that listing. Usually you see some players there that make sense, but there are always these strange anomalies. Seems like this needs more refinement or at least a detailed explanation of how it gets calculated.
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 23:19
    Originally posted by adramforall
    It would also be nice if we could offer banded tournaments.
    I have been asking about this on a separate thread and I have trouble setting these up, though I do all the same. I just have to threaten ineligible entrants with violence to get them to withdraw.

As regards so called "Club Ratings," these make no sense to me whatever, I fail to see their purpose and I ignore them totally.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree