1. In attack
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 16:33
    Another installment of our online rivalry, and from my perspective our most enjoyable game yet. Full of mistakes, valiant fight backs, tactical endings, and the importance of bishops
    Game 8953874

Bit gutted to have missed out on the first chance of trying a B+N ending on RHP, but considering the mess I was in half way through it has to be considered a draw gained.
    More from Velvetears soon, I hope
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 20:171 edit
    Originally posted by morgski
    Another installment of our online rivalry, and from my perspective our most enjoyable game yet. Full of mistakes, valiant fight backs, tactical endings, and the importance of bishops
    Game 8953874

[pgn]1. e4 e5 2. Ng1f3 Nb8c6 3. Bf1c4 Bf8c5 4. b4 {Fairly standard up until now, where VE offers a pawn for the chance to build on my bishop with tempo} hrough it has to be considered a draw gained.
    More from Velvetears soon, I hope
    47... Bc2 seems good then should follow

48. Rh1 b2 49. g6 {h6 alows you to blockade his pawns... maybe better is moving the king up first} b1=Q 50. Rxb1 Bxb1 {the point... now you take back with your bishop allowing your knight to stay closer to the pawns}

Now white can't move either of his pawns yet and has to move his king up to help... I didnt look all the way through but this seems like it should give you enough time to move in for the kill seeing as you almost made it in the game the extra move this line gives you should alllow you to get the job done.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 22:013 edits
    OK, for this game I'm going to do the analysis in fens and small pgns first to give you an alternative view after morgski's analysis. Then finish with the complete pgn:

VelvetEars vs morgski: The Infernal Bishops - other titles (we end up spending most of the game thinking of possible titles) included: The bishops of death, Fianchettod to Death and (to add some sex appeal to the title) The Buxom Bishops. This is a game where at one point, we both have a set of powerful bishops with which to cause problems.

This game starts with a fairly standard opening:

But standard ain't really my style so I go off the rail with b5:

Allowing me to develop my c1 bishop with tempo, trying to get a lead in development at the cost of a pawn. We go on and I get myself into a little trouble by managing to pin my own bishop

So time to throw the boat out and sac my bishop with Nb5?! - dubious, but fun 🙂
    morgski takes the bishop and I develop my other knight:

I'm now threatening his queen with Rb1, so he makes a jailbreak with Qb4 and I take the hanging pawn with Nxc7. Morgski's now plays Kd7?. In my opinion his best defence here is Kd8, to which I'll follow up with Qd3:

And I have no idea what morgski will do here, Rb8 will be followed with Nd5 or Rab1 and who knows what will happen next! However, instead of playing Kd8, morgski plays Kd7 allowing me in:

So right now, things look good, but morgski has loads of counterplay and I lose my knight on a8, so I'm 2 rooks vs. 3 minor pieces which I've never been up against before. This game becomes really tactical now, we each make lots of small moves trying to gain a small edge, and it comes to a climax where all the pieces crowd around the e-file with me to play here:

I have to do something about the e3 bishop anchored into position, so I play Rxe3 stopping the threat of dxe4. We trade down to this position:

and the game ends up in a draw, with his queenside dominance a match for my kingside dominance. So a game of mistakes for both players which ended up with the spoils shared. The full pgn is below.

So in the end a game we could both had won, I played many mistakes once I was in to let morgski back into the game.

Also, if anyone's still reading at this point and wants me to annotate a game of mine which is in the final phases of a Bertin gambit please let me know. For those of you who don't know the Bertin gambit, white sacs 3 pawns and defends against black behind one of his own pawns:
  4. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 22:26
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    For those of you who don't know the Bertin gambit, white sacs 3 pawns and defends against black behind one of his own pawns:
    Yes, please!

And thanks again for another episode. Weird that all that chaos ended in a draw, you are a good match for each other!
  5. In attack
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 22:27
    Also, if anyone's still reading at this point and wants me to annotate a game of mine which is in the final phases of a Bertin gambit please let me know. For those of you who don't know the Bertin gambit, white sacs 3 pawns and defends against black behind one of his own pawns
    I'd be keen, any 3 pawn sac gambit must be worth a look 🙂
    Great job with the annotations, you put me to shame!
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 22:28
    I'd be keen, any 3 pawn sac gambit must be worth a look 🙂
    Great job with the annotations, you put me to shame!
    Ta, I had nothing better to do tonight, except watch TV and do this. Also if you want another game give me a challenge as once again I've run into the wall of your pre-defined max no. of games.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 22:30
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    Yes, please!

And thanks again for another episode. Weird that all that chaos ended in a draw, you are a good match for each other!
    OK, I'll put it up once I'm finished, currently it's move 32 and black's pawn is still on h2 🙂
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 22:35
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    47... Bc2 seems good then should follow

48. Rh1 b2 49. g6 {h6 alows you to blockade his pawns... maybe better is moving the king up first} b1=Q 50. Rxb1 Bxb1 {the point... now you take back with your bishop allowing your knight to stay closer to the pawns}

Now white can't move either of his pawns yet and has to move his king up to help... I didnt lo ...[text shortened]... t made it in the game the extra move this line gives you should alllow you to get the job done.
    I'm still waiting for one of you to refute this... cos I'm sure something is wrong with it.
  9. In attack
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 23:10
    I'm still waiting for one of you to refute this... cos I'm sure something is wrong with it.
    I think you might be right Tomtom, in your line I could have used the bishop both as a thorn for c3, but also as a barrier for Eric and friends. I drew because I was pulled too far up the board trying to force my own pawn home, with your suggestion I could maybe have got it. Not 100% certain though, does anyone have a better mind than mine or a box to test tomtom's line?
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 10:491 edit
    OK tomtom, the way I see it I have a couple of defences as follows and I still can't see a way for black to get my pawns.

Other ideas for black is to play Ba2 then Bg8 stopping my queening plans, although the second black plays Ba2 I can play h6 stopping that plan.

I still think it's a drawn endgame in my opinion.
  11. In attack
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 11:54
    There may be a Zugswang option in the second example you gave, which is why I thought Tomtom's idea may work:

In which case, racing for Queens may have been the better line, I haven't looked into it though...
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 12:045 edits
    There may be a Zugswang option in the second example you gave, which is why I thought Tomtom's idea may work:
    [pgn]
    [FEN "8/8/8/2k3PP/2n1b3/1p4K1/7R/8 b - - 0 47"] 1. Bc2 Rh1 {Option 2: Defending the queening square} 2. b2 g6 3. b1=Q Rxb1 4. Bxb1 Kf4 5. Kd6 Kg5 6. Ke7 {Instead of the knight move, try and get the king in the way first} Kh6 7. Kf6 {Trapping h case, racing for Queens may have been the better line, I haven't looked into it though...
    Are you sure. Also for every zugswang position there's a stalemate threat aswell 🙂

13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 20:272 edits
    Are you sure. Also for every zugswang position there's a stalemate threat aswell 🙂

[pgn]
    [FEN "8/8/8/2k3PP/2n1b3/1p4K1/7R/8 b - - 0 47"] 1. Bc2 Rh1 {Option 2: Defending the queening square} 2. b2 g6 3. b1=Q Rxb1 4. Bxb1 Kf4 5. Kd6 Kg5 6. Ke7 {Instead of the knight move, try and get the king in the way first} h6 {What's your plan here though as I would have played this instead?} 7. Kf8 {seems best} Kf6 {Threatening h7 again}
    [/pgn]
    7... Ne5 wins easily because if 8.g7 then 8...Bh7 or 8...Kf7 and if 8.h7 Nxg6
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 20:291 edit
    OK tomtom, the way I see it I have a couple of defences as follows and I still can't see a way for black to get my pawns.

[pgn]
    [FEN "8/8/8/2k3PP/2n1b3/1p4K1/7R/8 b - - 0 47"] 1. Bc2 {OK, this is your key move tomtom} g6 {Option 1, I run with my pawn} 2. b2 g7 3. b1=Q g8=Q 4. Qg1+ Rg2 5. Qe3+ {And I have no idea who's going to win this}
    [/pgn]

[ can play h6 stopping that plan.

I still think it's a drawn endgame in my opinion.
    in your first pgn instead of 3... b1 = Q black would play 3... Bh7 stopping your pawns cold.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 20:3411 edits
    [pgn]
    [FEN "8/8/8/2k3PP/2n1b3/1p4K1/7R/8 b - - 0 47"] 1. Bc2 Rh1 {Option 2: Defending the queening square} 2. b2 g6 3. b1=Q Rxb1 4. Bxb1 Kf4 5. Kd6 Kg5 6. Ke7 {Instead of the knight move, try and get the king in the way first} Kh6 7. Kf6 {Trapping h case, racing for Queens may have been the better line, I haven't looked into it though...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree