1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 13:32
    I have made a decision about a minimum age for users of this site.

I decided, on balance, that is probably not a good idea to promote the site to children younger that 13.

This is not because of the forum content alone, but also because the very nature of correspondence chess requires frequent private communication with strangers.

This also allows us to comply with COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) because we do not want to seek parental consent for every minor that attempts to join this site.

-Russ
  2. Standard membergameover9
    11 games waiting
    far from u I hope
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 13:34
    Originally posted by Russ
    I have made a decision about a minimum age for users of this site.

I decided, on balance, that is probably not a good idea to promote the site to children younger that 13.

This is not because of the forum content alone, but also because the very nature of correspondence chess requires frequent private communication with strangers.

This also allows us ...[text shortened]... do not want to seek parental consent for every minor that attempts to join this site.

-Russ
    What happens to all the 13 and under kids that are already on here?
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 13:38
    If you are 13, then it is not a problem. If you are younger, then you will need to leave, but may return when you are 13.

I am sorry if this appears unfair.

-Russ
  4. Standard membergameover9
    11 games waiting
    far from u I hope
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 13:55
    Originally posted by Russ
    If you are 13, then it is not a problem. If you are younger, then you will need to leave, but may return when you are 13.

I am sorry if this appears unfair.

-Russ
    I'm over 13, but I just wanted to know how this works. I think it is a good idea though, it might somewhat solve some of the problems that everyone has been discussing on here. I think for the most part, the youngest we have is 12, so it shouldn't be to bad. What happens to the tournys, clans, and their regular games?
  5. Joined
    10 Feb '03
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 14:471 edit
    No dispute here: the www is often a murky world and we should all be supportive of anything designed to keep kids safe online.

One slight question was for younger members subscribed via a credit card: as you can't get one till 18, then are not credit card subscriptions an implicit indication of parental concent? Granted I can think of serval instances where this would not be true, but on the main it would cover most instances.

6. Amsterdam
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 14:48
    I have to say, this is your very first decision I question, but if you think this is best for the site, it probably is.

Keep it up! 🙂

O.
  7. Standard memberpadfoot
    Discombobulating...
    cloning vat
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 15:58
    Damm this - i'm over 13 - but loads of my mates on this site aren't.

i just want to say that i am against this decision - i mean, i was pretty much just like i am now when i was 13...

am just a kid - but if you want my advice, make it no people under 9.
    9 was when i still felt like a kid. *sigh*. please don't make my friends leave... 🙁
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 16:28
    Originally posted by Toe

One slight question was for younger members subscribed via a credit card: as you can't get one till 18
    maybe credit cards, but check cards you can get before you are 18.
    You can open a checking account at almost any age, and most accounts come with check cards (that work like credit cards).....at least here in the U.S.

Tim
  9. Joined
    17 Feb '03
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 18:36
    I also question the choice but after all this is Russ' site.

Feivel
  10. Standard memberRemora91
    btch plz.
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 19:19
    Originally posted by padfoot
    Damm this - i'm over 13 - but loads of my mates on this site aren't.

i just want to say that i am against this decision - i mean, i was pretty much just like i am now when i was 13...

am just a kid - but if you want my advice, make it no people under 9.
    9 was when i still felt like a kid. *sigh*. please don't make my friends leave... 🙁
    I agree. I turned 13 just a while back but most of my friends on the site are 12. 🙁
  11. Standard memberBreaca
    The Dreamer
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 19:33
    I know that Russ has made his decision with the best interests of children at heart, so I support it. (Especially as I am over 13, Yay!!) But I really do hope that it won't be seen as a green light to infest the forums with more unsuitable material.

Please remember everyone, that anything said in the forums will be there to be read by kids as young as 13, as well as people who have their own grandchildren and even great-grandchildren, and the forums will be read by people from every nation across the globe ,all with a wide rainbow of beliefs. Let us please build a community where one day we will be proud to introduce those too young to join at the present time: and not see the absence of the very young as an excuse to pollute the air.
    We all need to breathe in order to grow.

Breaca
    Veggiechess and RHP Angel number 7
  12. Joined
    16 Sep '04
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 19:40
    I totally agree with this person - they seem to have hit the nail on the head!
  13. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 20:15
    If I understand the TOS, 13 is a little young as well. Here's what it says in the TOS:

3. YOUR REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS
    In consideration of your use of the Service, you represent that you are of legal age to form a binding contract ....... <snip>

I'm not real sure what the legal age to form a binding contract is in an international setting, but I suspect it's older than 13.

regards, Marc
  14. Standard memberRemora91
    btch plz.
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 20:31
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    If I understand the TOS, 13 is a little young as well. Here's what it says in the TOS:

3. YOUR REGISTRATION OBLIGATIONS
    In consideration of your use of the Service, you represent that you are of legal age to form a binding contract ....... <snip>

I'm not real sure what the legal age to form a binding contract is in an international setting, but I suspect it's older than 13.

regards, Marc
    Thats not the point though! Several people in the community were under 13. And now they're gone. 🙁
  15. Joined
    19 Dec '03
    Moves
    23 Sep '04 21:45
    I think you should give them time to finsih their games, espicaially if they are a subscriber, and if they are in a clan.
    Also if someone under 13 is in our clan how will we know they are gone?
    Plus, it would be unfair fo rthose who have people under 13 in there clan, if they have to lose all there current games.
    Regards,
    Brad Esta
    Leader of the Teen and Young Peoples Clan

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree