1. timed out again
    Moves
    22 Jun '12 16:55
    I have been hammered of late on the internet rapid circuit, so I have not had the chance to post a game. Here is me winning against a decent player for a change.

2. timed out again
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 20:29
    J Polgar vs Adams
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Jun '12 02:32
    Originally posted by enrico20
    I have been hammered of late on the internet rapid circuit, so I have not had the chance to post a game. Here is me winning against a decent player for a change.

[pgn][Event "Internet Game"] [Site "enrico"] [Date "2012.06.22"] [Round "-"] [White "?"] [Black "?"] [Result "1-0"] 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O Be7 6. Re1 b5 7. Bb3 O-O 8. c ...[text shortened]... d5+ 46. cxd5+ Kd7 47. Kf5 Bd8 48. Bf8 Ke8 49. Bh6 Kf7 50. Bxg5 {resigns} 1-0[/pgn]
    I am just now studying the Ruy Lopez in earnest, and I don't know the depths of theory, but I like how 19. Bd1 seems to just let the air out of black's balloon. Nice game, especially the ending!
  4. timed out again
    Moves
    30 Jun '12 16:44
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I am just now studying the Ruy Lopez in earnest, and I don't know the depths of theory, but I like how 19. Bd1 seems to just let the air out of black's balloon. Nice game, especially the ending!
    Having faced some nasty attacks from black players I was glad not to have been on the receiving end this time. I was reading the following words on the Marshall Gambit.

Ruy Lopez, Marshall Attack
    In the year before his death in November 1944, Frank Marshall wrote these words regarding his famous gambit 8...d5 in the Ruy Lopez that he sprang on Capablanca a quarter of a century earlier: "I had been analyzing the variation for many years and came to the conclusion that the attack must be sound. I am still of the same opinion. By this I do not mean that Black necessarily wins; I merely claim that the attack gives Black many winning chances and should be good for at least a draw."
  5. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    30 Jun '12 19:17
    Originally posted by enrico20
    Having faced some nasty attacks from black players I was glad not to have been on the receiving end this time. I was reading the following words on the Marshall Gambit.

[b]Ruy Lopez, Marshall Attack
    In the year before his death in November 1944, Frank Marshall wrote these words regarding his famous gambit 8...d5 in the Ruy Lopez that he sprang on Capabl ...[text shortened]... that the attack gives Black many winning chances and should be good for at least a draw."
    [/b]
    I thought Marshall's idea was refuted by Capa OTB? It was only later that it was refined into a playable opening.
  6. timed out again
    Moves
    30 Jun '12 21:57
    Originally posted by hedonist
    I thought Marshall's idea was refuted by Capa OTB? It was only later that it was refined into a playable opening.
    The Marshall gambit evolved over time, the reason I put that quote was to show those who may not be aware of where the idea came from. They can then do further digging/reading.

This is the beauty of chess.
  7. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '12 23:13
    Curious.

I clicked through at some speed and thought as you won you were probably black. Maybe like football it shows that territorial possession is only half the story.
  8. timed out again
    Moves
    02 Jul '12 20:12
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Curious.

I clicked through at some speed and thought as you won you were probably black. Maybe like football it shows that territorial possession is only half the story.
    lol that is not the best way to illustrate the Marshall Gambit to people who have never heard of it. I was actually white not black.
  9. e4
    Moves
    03 Jul '12 02:16
    Hi Enrico.

Good post and it has given me an idea for part of my blog. Cheers.

We have been here before with Frank Marshall (one of my heroes) and
    his seven year wait to spring his opening idea on Capa in 1918.

The trieless Edward Winter reveals all in this fascinating piece.

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/marshallgambit.html

The gist being:
    The gambit was first played in the 1890's.

Marshall had a few other opportunites to play against Capa rather than
    wait seven years. (It appears he cooked it up or re-cooked it up about two
    years before 1918.)

Marshall played it in a game in 1917.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree