1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 01:313 edits
    I really would like to learn some traps. So show me some that you've actually done in your games. If your trap is a well-known trap, please tell me the name of it.

Here's my most recent, as white.

2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 03:46
    Originally posted by vivify
    I really would like to learn some traps. So show me some that you've actually done in your games. If your trap is a well-known trap, please tell me the name of it.

Here's my most recent, as white.

[pgn][Date "????.??.??"]
    [Result "*"]
    [FEN "rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1"]

1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.e3 e5 4.Bxc4 Nf6 5.Nf3 Bg4 ...[text shortened]... a4+ Qd7 7.Bxf7+ Kxf7 {Black takes the free bishop.} 8.Nxe5+ { Black resigns. }
    *[/pgn]
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 04:26
    Pirc, Austrian attack
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 05:15
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 05:26
    Swiss, would that really be considered a trap, or just sub-standard play by your opponent?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 05:323 edits

or

7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 06:051 edit
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 06:101 edit
    A couple in this game. I don't know any opening traps by name.

9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 06:10
    Swiss, would that really be considered a trap, or just sub-standard play by your opponent?
    All traps involve bad play from the opponent.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 07:001 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    All traps involve bad play from the opponent.
    I may have phrased my question wrong, because it seems you may believe I didn't think your trap wasn't great to watch. I enjoyed how you broke his control of the middle. Let me try again.

In the game you posted, was white's downfall more of a matter of deviating from theory? I think (correct me if I'm wrong) he used the "Dragon" opening. Were white's lines in the "Dragon" opening (if that's what it's called) incorrect lines, that lead to you destroying his center?
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 09:28
    I may have phrased my question wrong, because it seems you may believe I didn't think your trap wasn't great to watch. I enjoyed how you broke his control of the middle. Let me try again.

In the game you posted, was white's downfall more of a matter of deviating from theory? I think (correct me if I'm wrong) he used the "Dragon" opening. Were white's ...[text shortened]... (if that's what it's called) incorrect lines, that lead to you destroying his center?
    Black's setup in this opening is similar to the Dragon, but the Dragon arises from 1.e4 c5 (the Sicilian Defense, of which the Dragon is one variation), whereas this opening is called the Pirc Defense (1.e4 d6).

White's problems arose from his failure to be alert. Even after 6.dxc5 Qa5, it is not too late to turn back. Most of my opponents play this:

12. e4
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 15:551 edit
    It is an opening trap or a trick that just happens to be in the position?

SG quite rightly posted:

"All traps involve bad play from the opponent."

But a genuine Opening Trap must involve an element of risk from the trap setter.
    All the examples so far are coming from natural moves. If the vic does not
    blunder into the trick then no harm done.

Here is a real opening trap. I've caught quite a few with this in blitz and OTB.
    Try it, you will catch someone but if it fails to induce a blunder (6...Nxe4) then
    you have nothing except a miserble game to look forward too.

13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 18:01
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 19:5825 edits
    Since I have returned to OTB chess I have fallen victum to several opening traps. However, I don't like showing them because they make me look stupid.

But the following game is one in which I came up with what I think might be an opening trap in a 45 minute game at the chess club in Evans, Georgia recently. I was playing an old guy, who had just come back to chess after a long layoff just like me. His name is Ed and he was never as good as me and is someone I have been able to beat up on. He was rated in the upper 1300s when he first started playing Here but has fallen to the mid 1200s after I got a hold of him. Here is the game:

RJHinds vs Harry E. Stewart

15. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 21:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    However, I don't like showing them because they make me look stupid.

No RJ, an Believer would say God did that to you. An Atheist would blame genetics. (jk) 😛
    😉 Thanks for sharing the trap and analysis.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree