Undo

Standard memberfinnegan
Site Ideas 17 Oct '13 00:12
  1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    17 Oct '13 00:12
    For pity's sake give me a facility to undo my mouse slips. I've just mistaken the main board for the analysis board and submitted a silly move that i was just .... AAAAA
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Oct '13 06:51
    We've all done it. I'm always making moves on the game history board too. Those three boards need to look noticeably different from each other.
  3. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Oct '13 08:22
    Originally posted by finnegan
    For pity's sake give me a facility to undo my mouse slips. I've just mistaken the main board for the analysis board and submitted a silly move that i was just .... AAAAA
    I think the most they could do was a "are you really sure" button.

But most probably the clicking of that one would become automatic. so they should put it somewhere else than the "submit" button. At least there would be a chance to see something during the time one needs to manoeuvre the mouse to the "really sure" button. Or a three second timer could be installed before the "really sure" button occurs.

Of course people should be free to decide if they want to be stopped or not.
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    17 Oct '13 08:581 edit
    Things are even worse now with touch screens. It is easy to press something without intending to or even - as happened to me last night - without even knowing I had until I noticed a game missing from those awaiting a move.

i agree that an Are You Sure message would be good. At least that much of a buffer seems justified. This is not at all the same as the touch move rule in OTB chess - the technology is the problem.
  5. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 09:31
    any more thoughts on this?
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 16:22
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Dang Finny, you're an ace player, you can bounce back no probs.
    Chalk it up to crap happens. 🙂
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 18:25
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    any more thoughts on this?
    Yes, it happens to all of us from time to time and it's not a big deal. So you lose a piece or even a game. So what? Slap yourself in the face, start a new game and carry on.

There's however a very good reason for not having an undo button. I'm sure most people will recognize this: you're looking at a position, wrecking your brain to come up with the best move, finally you have it so you click submit and the moment the screen comes back you see that you've just given your opponent the opportunity to fork your K+Q. That's because you weren't looking at the whole board but only at a small part. And you deserve to be punished for that. Those mistakes determine the difference between a winner and a loser. Having an undo button alters an important aspect of chess.
  8. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 18:31
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Yes, it happens to all of us from time to time and it's not a big deal. So you lose a piece or even a game. So what? Slap yourself in the face, start a new game and carry on.

There's however a very good reason for not having an undo button. I'm sure most people will recognize this: you're looking at a position, wrecking your brain to come up with t ...[text shortened]... ference between a winner and a loser. Having an undo button alters an important aspect of chess.
    The last point was a "are you sure?" button 🙂
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    12 Dec '13 18:351 edit
    Ah, right. Well, an Are you sure button would work, but I'd like to have the option of not receiving that message cause it hardly ever happens that I make an accidental move that is not a consequence of my abysmal chess playing abilities 🙂
  10. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 14:51
    a thread fgrom GF which takes up the discussion:

[thredaid]157759[/threadid]
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Feb '14 17:01
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    We've all done it. I'm always making moves on the game history board too. Those three boards need to look noticeably different from each other.
    I agree with this. Maybe a different colored border around the board or something.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree