1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 05:14
    "5 Lessons in Life from Dr. Seuss"

"1. Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

2. Why fit in when you were born to stand out?

3. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.

4. Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

5. Today I shall behave as if this is the day I will be remembered."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130620195023AAVpnFw

Dr. Seuss and his able assistants are now available in this forum for examinations and consultations whenever needs arise.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 05:30
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [quote][b]"5 Lessons in Life from Dr. Seuss"

"1. Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

3. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.

4. Be who you are and say what you ...[text shortened]... istants are now available in this forum for examinations and consultations whenever needs arise.[/b]
    I'm a bit shocked at #4's flippant disregard for the concerns of others. 😲
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 05:461 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    "So be sure when you step, step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s a great balancing act.

If you are one of the lucky ones like myself it’s easy to get obsessed with your work because you love it so much. But remember, your life deserves attention too. worklife balance isn’t just a buzzword, it’s important. The experiences you gain outside of work play a major roll in the way you do your job, and the opposite is true too. Develop all of your interests because they are all worth it."

http://www.smartrecruiters.com/blog/10-dr-seuss-quotes-thatll-help-your-job-search/

'SG, you are an exceptionally insightful person. I hope this lesson helps clarify #4. ~Kind Regards, Dr. Seuss'
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 07:35
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Seuss's remark is very Buddhist: Your task is to discover your task and then to devote yourself to it with all your strength. Never divert yourself by trying to resolve someone else's karma. This does not mean, of course, that you should let a child run in front of an oncoming train. Use common sense.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 08:59
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Seuss's remark is very Buddhist: Your task is to discover your task and then to devote yourself to it with all your strength. Never divert yourself by trying to resolve someone else's karma. This does not mean, of course, that you should let a child run in front of an oncoming train. Use common sense.
    'moonbus, "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Today is your day!
    Your mountain is waiting. So. . . get on your way." Your friend at the same train station, ~Dr. Seuss' http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Dr._Seuss
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 09:411 edit
    'moonbus, "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Today is your day!
    Your mountain is waiting. So. . . get on your way." Your friend at the same train station, ~Dr. Seuss' http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Dr._Seuss
    It is perhaps little known or appreciated that Dr. Seuss is credited with inventing the word "nerd". It occurs in the story If I Ran The Zoo (1950).

Apropos the questions are more complicated than the answers: my mentor, Prof. Anscombe, used to say 'Get the question right before you go galloping off after an answer.'
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 10:41
    It is perhaps little known or appreciated that Dr. Seuss is credited with inventing the word "nerd". It occurs in the story If I Ran The Zoo (1950).

Apropos the questions are more complicated than the answers: my mentor, Prof. Anscombe, used to say 'Get the question right before you go galloping off after an answer.'
    He invented the wprd nerd?
    Ok, all-mighty internet has confirmed:::
    The first documented appearance of the word "nerd" is as the name of a creature in Dr. Seuss's book If I Ran the Zoo (1950), in which the narrator Gerald McGrew claims that he would collect "a Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker too" for his imaginary zoo.[3][5][6] The slang meaning of the term dates back to 1951, when Newsweek magazine reported on its popular use as a synonym for "drip" or "square" in Detroit, Michigan.[7] By the early 1960s, usage of the term had spread throughout the United States, and even as far as Scotland.[8][9] At some point, the word took on connotations of bookishness and social ineptitude.[5]
    end of quote

Hm, bookishness? Nice word.

Anyway, regarding those lessons, fine, but each time one meets a street tthug, he gets reminded that he needs also to know the kick in the groin. (That would be by the way in accordance with the rule No 5... πŸ˜‰...)
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 14:00
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    He invented the wprd nerd?
    Ok, all-mighty internet has confirmed:::
    The first documented appearance of the word "nerd" is as the name of a creature in Dr. Seuss's book If I Ran the Zoo (1950), in which the narrator Gerald McGrew claims that he would collect "a Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker too" for his imaginary zoo.[3][5][6] The slang meani ...[text shortened]... know the kick in the groin. (That would be by the way in accordance with the rule No 5... πŸ˜‰...)
    'vandervelde, "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living."
    Btw, thank you for liking the 'nerd' word, ~Dr. Seuss' http://www.searchquotes.com/Dr_Seuss/
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 14:57
    "I do not like Green Eggs and Ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-Am."
  10. old pueblo
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 18:14
    "Big A, little a, what begins with A? Aunt Annie's Alligator. A A A"

How many times I read that book to my sister!
  11. old pueblo
    Moves
    02 Mar '14 18:16
    An excellent life lesson from Dr. Seuss comes at the end of Put Me In The Zoo, when the character discovers he doesn't belong in the zoo. "The circus is the place for you!"

Don't spend all your time and aspirations on something that's going to turn out to be an awful fit for you.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 05:592 edits
    See, but that means you are one of the people who mind - that I let a kid run in front of a train. Therefore, you also do not matter.

Sorry, but you know how it goes. "What a witty reversal of concepts - therefore TRUE~!"

(And its cousin: "Rhymes frequently and spiffily - therefore TRUE~!" )
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 06:571 edit
    [quote][b]"5 Lessons in Life from Dr. Seuss"

4. Be who you are and say what you ...[text shortened]... ho matter don't mind.

5. Today I shall behave as if this is the day I will be remembered." .[/b]
    Wisdom is respecting the limitations that prevent your life becoming a ship-wreck if you swallow fortune cookie crap like this.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 07:42
    'vandervelde, "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living."
    Btw, thank you for liking the 'nerd' word, ~Dr. Seuss' http://www.searchquotes.com/Dr_Seuss/
    'vandervelde, forgot to give you second and third lines: "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Safe travels. ~Dr. Seuss'
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 07:451 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Wisdom is respecting the limitations that prevent your life becoming a ship-wreck if you swallow fortune cookie crap like this.
    'divegeester, "Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them." and remember:
    "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." ~Dr. Seuss

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Dr._Seuss

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree