1. old pueblo
    Moves
    31 Jan '15 02:44
    Yesterday my adorable fifth graders (age 10/11) had their first band concert of the school year. Mine play trombone, flute, and bells. The other two classes played clarinet and trumpet.

Did you play an instrument in elementary school? How did that work out for you?

I played the flute until freshman year of high school.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Jan '15 03:18
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    Yesterday my adorable fifth graders (age 10/11) had their first band concert of the school year. Mine play trombone, flute, and bells. The other two classes played clarinet and trumpet.

I played the tuba in my last two years of grade school then the tuba and sousaphone (orchestra and marching band) in high school.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    31 Jan '15 04:10
    I played the accordion from age 5-18, clarinet from age 10-20 and guitar 18 to 54. I am 56 and too crippled up to play anymore. In 2012 I made a few demo videos and then put the guitar and amp in the dumpster.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '15 04:34

Violin lessons age 7-9 ~ sweet elderly lady unbothered by the whole nails-on-a-blackboard sonic environment she inhabited

Clarinet lessons age 10-12 ~ teacher: a weary tyrant who did not enjoy his calling and was unimpressed by my Gilbert O'Sullivan covers

Guitar age 15 - present day, no lessons

I wish I had been pushed to take piano lessons age 7-13
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    31 Jan '15 04:53
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I played the accordion from age 5-18, clarinet from age 10-20 and guitar 18 to 54. I am 56 and too crippled up to play anymore. In 2012 I made a few demo videos and then put the guitar and amp in the dumpster.
    Aww! You should have smashed it on stage during the last video.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    31 Jan '15 05:16
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Aww! You should have smashed it on stage during the last video.
    I thought about bashing the sh, crap out of the amp and guitar, then thought about pawning it. I decided to give it a new home. Someone dug them out of the "bin" a few minutes later. For a few days I heard him playing, sadly it was about as good as I sounded at the end.
    Meh. I loved playing and I still enjoy music. I still compose. 😞
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '15 05:18
    In my case, it kicked off a 'career' of writing and playing unabashedly amateurish music. http://tinyurl.com/ls3c5a7
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Jan '15 06:09

2nd tambourine in school orchestra.
    Never took it up seriously.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    31 Jan '15 06:17

Trumpet Lessons from a retired Swedish Professor of Music 5th through 8th Grade. We also marched in area celebrations of Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. During those summers he invited us all over for cookouts in the two acre backyard of his home. At the bottom of the grassy hill there was a fresh water pond for swimming. A long rope would be dangling in the breeze from a tall sturdy tree. Still remember the sensation of getting a running start with the knotted end of that rope in our hands and then swinging far out and letting go in the middle of nowhere it seemed. We were fearless then.
  10. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    31 Jan '15 12:37

no
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Feb '15 11:37

I learned the recorder and still am able to play a long (not the level of my wife). I can strum away at the guitar if I refrain from singing 🙂
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Feb '15 00:26
    Originally posted by redbadger
    no
    But I had you pegged for 'armpit tuba'.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '15 00:36
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    I had a set of drums 2 times in my life, and never manage to be good enough for band. Then I have been practicing on the arm chairs for years, and now - after I got back to OTB chess - there is still one thing I should do before physical retirement: to play a few songs as a drummer with a band, preferably indie guitar melodious punkrock style - and that would be it. The rest is online chess from nursery home´s living room from public computers.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '15 00:37
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    But I had you pegged for 'armpit tuba'.
    I heard his teacher let him play with his instrument on a daily basis.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    03 Feb '15 03:36
    Originally posted by Trev33
    I heard his teacher let him play with his instrument on a daily basis.
    Was going to happen one way or another so why not?!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree