1. Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 14:49
    I've sent this as feedback already, but just to see what your opinions would be.

I know that some people I've previously played have wanted to play a chess computer, and a lot of sites offer this, by allowing people to create accounts with a (C) next to their name, indicating that the account is a computer account.

There would be no need to play the computer if you did not wish to, although I would imagine quite a few people would want to try their luck šŸ˜‰.

There perhaps could be another rating table for computer players, so they aren't mixed in with the people playing without a computer.

It seems to be quite successful on sites such as chess.net, and seeing as there would be no reason to play the computer if you did not want to, you wouldn't have to.

I have studied quite a lot of games, and I can say for certain that I know people who are using a computer, and seemingly not telling anyone. I agree that this is unfair, but would there be any harm done if the person playing the computer wanted to play a computer, and knew he/she was playing a computer?

A lot of players use databases, books, and ask friends to study the games they are playing with them, so is there that much of a difference between this and using a computer?

Discuss ^_^...

~~Simba
  2. Internet
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 15:03
    Originally posted by SimbaTheLion
    I've sent this as feedback already, but just to see what your opinions would be.

I know that some people I've previously played have wanted to play a chess computer, and a lot of sites offer this, by allowing people to create accounts with a (C) next to their name, indicating that the account is a computer account.

There would be no need to play ...[text shortened]... there that much of a difference between this and using a computer?

Discuss ^_^...

~~Simba
    I agree that it should be possible to register a computer player, provided it showed clearly it was an engine.

I don't think it would solve the issues on RHP though. The problem is, that most cheaters on RHP does this because they want to give the impression that they're good at chess, not to test their engine's strength. The people who would put a (C) next to their name voluntarily, would most likely be people that had either a) made their own engine or b) tweaked an open source engine.
  3. Joined
    08 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 15:04
    I'd LOVE to manage a computer account! (I have Fritz 8)
    Great idea! šŸ˜€
  4. Standard memberKWCorona
    Key West Wannabe
    North Carolina
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 15:05
    Originally posted by SimbaTheLion

There would be no need to play ...[text shortened]... there that much of a difference between this and using a computer?

Discuss ^_^...

~~Simba
    I think the idea is quite interesting...Though I would question what the point of it would be having chess engines battling chess engines. I can do that at my home without a subscription. I would also make tournament play ineligible for (C) people except in thier own (C) tournaments.
  5. Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 15:052 edits
    Well, I'd be willing to put a (C) next to my account name and use a computer for other people to train against šŸ™‚. Glad you two both like it, I hope Russ and the other players like it too ^_^!!!
  6. Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 15:121 edit
    Hmm, that's interesting Corona, although I imagine quite a lot of people would want to play against the computers. There perhaps could be a vote, when we are allowed to vote, of:

1) People who wouldn't mind playing against a computer
    2) People who really don't want to play a computer

Then, take the percentages of the people who voted for each. Say 60% voted for #1, then 60% of the tournaments would allow computer players to enter, whereas 40% wouldn't. This might be difficult to implement, so it could be considered courteous of the (C) players if they only entered tournaments designated for them šŸ™‚.

The point? Well some people would find it quite fun and challenging I think, there are also computer chess rooms on quite a lot of other sites which are successful šŸ™‚...
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 15:31
    Simba,

Why don't you go and add your thoughts to this thead:
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=16313

It is in the site ideas forum (A more appropriate place for this thread)

This idea has already been discussed in that thread.

Tim
  8. Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 15:34
    Thanks for the link to the topic mate, I'll have a read, although after a quick glance it doesn't seem to be talking about my idea ^_^...
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 15:36
    The idea of allowing computer players, and simply identifing them with a flag/C/etc. is definitely discussed. It seems that the general opinion is that this would not fix the problem of cheaters. As they aren't cheating because they enjoy playing with the computer, they cheat because they like "getting one over" on their opponents....
  10. Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 15:54
    Well, those aren't the sort of people who would be fixed by this, but hopefully the people who just play with a computer for fun would be able to say so, or something. If not then the people who enjoy it are probably going to keep using a computer without a (C).

I don't think it's really fair to punish the people who are willing to be open, and tell others that they are enjoying using a computer for fun, not just to 'get one over' on their opponents. However the people who are using the computer to cheat, not telling their opponents and so on, deserve to be punished...

Also, if the (C) tag does become implemented, then perhaps the people who are obviously using a computer but are denying it, could get a different tag, to show they are 'cheating' using a computer, to 'get one over' on others, rather than being open about it, and using the computer for fun.
  11. Joined
    28 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 16:25
    Even though this may be a little too fast, I already created an account with "Fritz 8" in the title, before they're all used up šŸ˜›.

And besides, I don't think it matters if I only do this in unrated (if my opponent knows it of course!).

LordDracula

PS: Challenge me (unrated) to play a game against Fritz 8
  12. Internet
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 16:30
    Originally posted by Fritz8Computer
    Even though this may be a little too fast, I already created an account with "Fritz 8" in the title, before they're all used up šŸ˜›.

And besides, I don't think it matters if I only do this in unrated (if my opponent knows it of course!).

LordDracula

PS: Challenge me (unrated) to play a game against Fritz 8
    It's perfectly legal to operate an engine in unrated games, but multiple accounts isn'tšŸ˜‰
  13. Joined
    28 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 16:33
    But isn't that only to ensure you don't fool the rating system?
  14. Joined
    27 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 16:341 edit
    I would think so, although better safe than sorry ^_^...
  15. Internet
    Moves
    28 Nov '04 16:35
    Originally posted by Fritz8Computer
    But isn't that only to ensure you don't fool the rating system?
    Probably also to be sure that people who play a lot pay...

I'm not nearly good enough to play Fritz, but I'd like to match up my Macintosh's only engine, Sigma, with Fritz if you like?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree