1. Standard memberCeSinge
    CeSinge
    Brussels, Belgium
    Moves
    13 May '17 14:10
    In a game, my pawn went to queen, but quite oddly, when I moved the pawn to the eight row I had no option to choose whether I wanted to convert the pawn to a Q, R, B or N.

Why isn't this obvious? How should I do this?
    Thank you,
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    13 May '17 16:392 edits
    I haven't done it for quite some time but I'm pretty sure there will be a selection window at the upper part of the page.
    I think the queen is the default choice but you can still change it before the actual move is made.

If this answer isn't correct I'm sure someone will provide the right answer.
  3. Standard memberCeSinge
    CeSinge
    Brussels, Belgium
    Moves
    13 May '17 19:35
    That's what I expected, either when moving the pawn, or when I confirmed the move, but no such option.
    OSX bug? - hard to believe given the number of years the site exists...
  4. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 May '17 01:151 edit
    It's normally obvious on my desktop - what device are you using?

Also, if it happened as part of a conditional move, there would have been a different process, but it's still obvious enough.
  5. Joined
    07 Jul '12
    Moves
    14 May '17 23:45
    For conditional moves, there is an option for you to choose the promoted piece.
  6. Joined
    22 Apr '17
    Moves
    20 May '17 21:541 edit
    Also couldn't see a way to choose before hitting the "Submit Move" button in a game. Though I did want a Queen, I would like to know how to choose Q/R/B/N. I tried double-clicking, right-clicking, space-bar, et al; but it just stayed as a pawn and promoted to a Queen only after I hit "Submit". [gid]https://www.redhotpawn.com/chess/play-chess.php?gameid=12208752&cbqsid=369[/gid]
    I could be having a "duh" moment?
    p.s. I do have popups enabled for this site.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 May '17 02:12
    I've just now done it and it's working correctly. I moved my pawn to the 8th rank, hit the Submit button and up popped up a box where I could choose Q/R/B/K. Since I wanted a queen and it's the default choice I could then just click to make it happen. That's on a Windows PC, don't know what happens on any other device.
  8. Joined
    22 Apr '17
    Moves
    21 May '17 10:12
    Thanks for the info, now I know what to look for. I'm using Google Chrome on a Vista desktop. Could be the problem. I'll try Fire Fox or IE next time to see if I see the Q/R/B/N selection box after the Submit button.
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 May '17 16:07
    Originally posted by sgoleary
    Thanks for the info, now I know what to look for. I'm using Google Chrome on a Vista desktop. Could be the problem. I'll try Fire Fox or IE next time to see if I see the Q/R/B/N selection box after the Submit button.
    I'm using the same and never had a problem
  10. Joined
    22 Apr '17
    Moves
    22 May '17 23:08
    Originally posted by venda
    I'm using the same and never had a problem
    Must have been in space cadet mode. lol
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 May '17 06:10
    Originally posted by CeSinge
    In a game, my pawn went to queen, but quite oddly, when I moved the pawn to the eight row I had no option to choose whether I wanted to convert the pawn to a Q, R, B or N.

Why isn't this obvious? How should I do this?
    Thank you,
    It's a Security feature to prevent non-subs from queening pawns.
    See your System Administrator for Security Clearance.
  12. Standard memberKhandita108
    Loco Wahine
    Hawaii
    Moves
    27 May '17 19:13
    I just had this opportunity last night. The words at the top say Promote pawn to queen, but just underneath is a light colored selection box with arrow that you can click on that will provide all of the other pieces available to choose from if you would prefer one of them.
  13. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Jun '17 08:26
    You can move a pawn illegally to a promotable position to test this at any time.

Look below the submit move button.
  14. Joined
    22 Apr '17
    Moves
    13 Jun '17 11:09
    Originally posted by Russ
    You can move a pawn illegally to a promotable position to test this at any time.

Look below the submit move button.
    Yes, finally got an opportunity to test this:
    1. Move the pawn to the final rank and a drop-down list appears below the Submit button.
    2. Select the promotion piece from this drop-down list.
    3. Click Submit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree