1. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    19 Jul '17 19:031 edit
    A new Hikaru Junction! Apologies for my absence, which I'll try to remedy from this point forward, as I know that I have maybe as many as a dozen readers.

I've made a new chess visualization, one which I think is likely an improvement on the one before, showing players' performances compared to each other's in a round-robin tournament. I'd really appreciate feedback on this so that I could remedy any flaws that come up. That, and I think that it's interesting.

Link: Blog Post 363
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 23:39
    Excellent use of a radar chart, good for comparison between all the players.

It would be interesting to have one made somehow for all the historic World Champions,
    to see if we can decide once and for all who the greatest was!

Good luck on the fiction writing, if you enjoy doing it then anything else is a bonus.
  3. e4
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 12:31
    Hi Hikaru.

Rather than have your readers having to copy and paste the links
    in. You can put in an outside link on the blog page.

The one to the spreadsheets would look like this.

[url=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15th9qNF7nrOwLW-kbI_qxjFna_7Bv5BYvIdsJUEyjoA/edit#gid=0]the link to the spreadsheets[/url]

Though it does appear you have to log into Google to see it. (I do anyway).
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 17:18
    Originally posted by @hikarushindo
    A new Hikaru Junction! Apologies for my absence, which I'll try to remedy from this point forward, as I know that I have maybe as many as a dozen readers.

I've made a new chess visualization, one which I think is likely an improvement on the one before, showing players' performances compared to each other's in a round-robin tournament. I'd really ap ...[text shortened]... aws that come up. That, and I think that it's interesting.

Link: Blog Post 363
    I think these get more interesting the more data that is included. [Of course, that is much, much more work involved].

It would be cool to see these adjusted for rating inflation over time so that we could see lifetime vs. lifetime and truly compare players on strengths and weaknesses.

Of course, asking for all this is asking for a lifetime-size commitment. Probably better to have a team of people working it if there is any chance of getting done in a reasonable amount of time.
  5. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 19:061 edit
    Hello, thanks for the encouragement @64squaresofpain. I'll look into applying similar statistics to a few of the more recent world champions. I might come up with something not ideal, but as an interesting benchmark.

Thanks also @greenpawn34 for the url code. I hadn't considered it, and I'll edit it for a clickable link.

@BigDoggProblem I agree with you both that they get more interesting and take more work the larger the dataset is. I'll try to do more, including adjusting for rating inflation, which I think would be cool. The main barrier is, I think, that this all has to be done manually (unless there's a way to script it that I don't know about,) but I do want to try to make these more expansive.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree